advertisement

Open-Back versus Closed-Back…

Big Tabs

looking backwards, going forwards
What made you choose open or closed back headphones over closed or open back headphones?

Or do you have a different headphones for different situations?

What led you to your decisions?

Personally, I didn’t have a clue that open-backed headphones was a ‘thing’ until recently! It never occurred to me.

Would you recommend Open-Backed headphones for the Closed/Open Curious?

Having tried a few open-backed headphones recently, I would advocate at least trying a pair - the space of the soundstage is different/increased to my ears. Closed-back headphones do seem to have a bass reproduction that adds something, but not necessarily in a positive way?? (I have only used cheaper closed back headphones < £60

Advantages? - Disadvantages?

Open-back are far superior sonically IME. The only advantage to closed-back is to block out ambient noise and reduce annoyance to others. As such I use closed-back on public transport, open-back at home (only the cat to annoy here, and she doesn’t mind).

Hi all,

Just generalising, but If you look at the published response of most closed backs you usually see some discontinuities in the lower-mid bass region probably due to reflections within the ear-cup. As noted, they generally have an elevated bass response as well. Some of this bass boost will also be deliberate tuning in order to conform to the Harmon EQ compensation curve.

Open backs also seem to have a more natural sounding midrange and seem to image a bit better as well, this is also probably due to lack of reflections that would normally be generated within the ear-cup.

Brent Butterworth has a good article on Voicing headphones at http://www.brentbutterworth.com/headphone-voicing.html
It’s a good read for the technical nerds amongst us. Most of Brent’s Stuff is pretty insightful.

With modern Noise cancelling Headphones much of this can be corrected using DSP. Both my Sennheiser Momentum Three and My Yamaha YH-E700A use DSP All the time, even with the noise cancelling turned off and running the Phones with the cable rather than Bluetooth. They also sound pretty average when the battery finally goes flat and you have to run the phones fully passive.

LPSpinner

Airpods Pro 2 also use DSP to add fletcher munson curve compensation.

Both Sennheiser HD820 and Sony MDR-Z1R tried to get around the cup resonances in different ways - not sure how successful they were.

I think the oft quoted "audio laws" of open back have better soundstage vs closed back having better bass are lazy stereotypes . Each set of cans will have there own strenghts and weakness' and need to be taken on there own merits .

However to play the game :)

I went from Beyer DT880 open back cans , 'cause the missus could hear the leaked sound over the tele to Denon AHD7200 closed back cans . Now my beloved dosen't hear anything to disturb her tv .

The biggest difference for me ....................... not getting prodded , poked or punched in order to turn the volume down :) . Didn't suffer any compromise to sound stage .

Auditioned the HD820 against offerings from Focal, Audlez and a bunch of others closed and open and just preferred the 820…. Didn’t really care if they were open or closed. Just went on the sq and presentation..

There's also Dan Clark Stealth closed-back using something similar to KEF META-material.

amts.png

I think the oft quoted "audio laws" of open back have better soundstage vs closed back having better bass are lazy stereotypes . Each set of cans will have there own strenghts and weakness' and need to be taken on there own merits .

I’m sure that is true and modern closed-back headphones are very much improved. The stereotyping likely comes from the 1970s where closed back headphones were the default design and pretty universally awful tubby cuppy hollow sounding things. When cans like the HD-414 and Stax electrostatics arrived at either extreme of the market they were an absolute revelation with a natural open airy sound free of the colouration one associated with closed headphones.

The most obvious comparison in my current headphones collection is the HD-600 vs. Momentum II. The former are vastly superior and it really isn’t close. That said I suspect it is more down to deliberate voicing than the actual design. The Momentum have a rather bass-boosted even slightly thuddy sound that is good on the bus or train, but is clearly shown up as artifice by the genuinely monitor-grade HD600s. It is interesting to bring the ancient HD-414s in here. They are remarkably hard to drive (600 Ohm and inefficient), so just hopeless with modern smartphones etc that can drive the Momentum with absolute ease and even make a decent attempt at the HD-600. That aside they are a very successful headphone design. Still the benchmark for comfort, there really are no more comfortable headphones than HD-414s, and whilst they very obviously lack the bass-weight and resolution of the HD-600 what they do they do very right. I wish they’d reissue them with a more modern impedance and efficiency. I really like them!

Hi Krenzler,

Good post, not to sure about the Sony’s but If you have a look over on rtings.com you can compare HD820’s response against the open back equivalent, the HD800s. The HD800s displays a typical “pre-Harmam” flat bass response with a gentle roll-off where the HD820 clearly shows a dip in the upper bass region. You can also see an elevated bass shelf below the 300 Hz dip. The thicker ear pads made from Leather on the HD820 will have a slight effect but I can’t help but wonder if most of it is from the closed back ear-cup.
From memory the HD820 was not all that well received whereas the HD800s is considered a high end “Benchmark” reference.

I wish I could justify a HD800S for my collection.

LPSpinner.

Interesting stuff, I've never seen measurements of a headphone taken on multiple listeners' heads before. I think this could have some mileage in it, but only if you have volunteers from both ends of the bell curve w.r.t. to head shape.

I'm pretty sure if you measured the HD800S on my head you'd see the low end rolling off early and at a substantial rate, as no matter how I position them on my head I cannot get the oversized earpads to seal around my ears well enough (I have a narrower than average head and neck and can literally run my finger up behind my jawline and into the 800S's earcup cavity, that's how big the gap is!). As a result of this I hear much stronger and punchier bass from my HD600.

I wish the HD800S had the same form factor as the HD600 as I'd suspect that would be my end game 'phone. The Audio-Technica ATH-ADX5000 is a much better fit for my head, but the MF/HF balance isn't as neutral as the HD800S (which, in turn, isn't as neutral as the HD600), although it can be coaxed towards the Sennheiser tuning with EQ.

I sometimes think I should sell my HD800S as they don't get any use (they've literally had less than 50 hours' play since I bought them new, but for the money I'd get I think I'm better of hanging onto them in case they come in useful one day for a family member etc...

I would only get closed backs if you absolutely have to avoid annoying others in the room.

Of the closed backs I have tried, HD820’s are excellent. One of the few closed backs I could live with (based on a dealer demo). My main headphones are HD800S.

I auditioned Focal Stellias and didn’t like them at all. I didn’t get the sense of soundstage that the HD820’s give.
Elegias were good for the (much lower) price but not in the same league as HD820. Meze 99s sounded dull and one dimensional.

I would only get closed backs if you absolutely have to avoid annoying others in the room.

Of the closed backs I have tried, HD820’s are excellent. One of the few closed backs I could live with (based on a dealer demo). My main headphones are HD800S.

I auditioned Focal Stellias and didn’t like them at all. I didn’t get the sense of soundstage that the HD820’s give.
Elegias were good for the (much lower) price but not in the same league as HD820. Meze 99s sounded dull and one dimensional.
My experience exactly....

I own and use open and closed back and enjoy both types.

I find that variations between different open or different closed back headphones far outweigh the differences between types.

The Elegias really take EQ well. I can't enjoy their signature as is, but they really can sound superb with a bit of EQ.

Interesting stuff, I've never seen measurements of a headphone taken on multiple listeners' heads before. I think this could have some mileage in it, but only if you have volunteers from both ends of the bell curve w.r.t. to head shape...

When looking over response graphs you do need to make a few adjustments to your expectations and understand the possible variations within the test being undertaken.

Usually when measuring head phone responses you need to take and average of multiple readings, you would measure once, remove the phones from the rig, re-seat the phones and repeat the process several times. Some sites will publish the "raw data" to show how much a variance you get between readings but most only show the averaged results as a single graph. Head phones are very sensitive positioning and placement on any head, Try it yourself one day, just move the phones forward, then to the pack of the ear or adjust the head band so they sit higher or lower over the Pinna on the side of your head.

Taking measurement directly from a real persons head is very tricky. It involves putting a small calibrated microphone in a defined position within the persons ear canal, moving the microphone even a fraction of a millimeter will greatly impact the reading. Achieving a consistently repeatable result would be very difficult. The only proper way to do this is would be to take a cast of different ears then fit the cast to the test rig with the microphone sitting in a set position for each test run. You still need to do the multiple readings to average out any variance.

Just for fun there are also different standards for measuring headphone responses with each giving a slightly different reading. Some popular systems include the HMS from Head Acoustics, the GRAS series of rigs and the HATS (Head And Torso Simulator) range of rigs from Bruel & Kjaer there also different IEC standards that govern how the test should be performed in these rigs as well as the geometry, reflectivity and hardness of the standardized ear sample used.

To make life even more interesting, many low budget reviewers are also using a test rig called MiniDSP HEARS (Headphone & Earphone Audio Response System). While this rig is cheap it also not very well controlled, I am unaware of any international standards or Norms that govern its calibration and implementation so as to achieve consistent results between different laboratories.

Rtings.com have a good video where Sam (there headphone techie) discuss the intricacies and vagaries of headphone measurement and rig calibration.
It's interesting to note that he doesn't actually mention which IEC standard he tests to. Based on the content of the video they appear winging it to get results that look good across different use cases. It's not ideal but at least they have disclosed their methodology and are consistent in their execution and so the results should be repeatable.

I suppose the take home lesson from all this is that response curves should be taken as indicative rather than absolute. If all the graphs come from one LAB (or reviewer) then you could expect that any graph from that source should be directly comparable. But a test done on the B&K HATS rig will be different from the test done on GRAS rig, likewise a test done to different standards may show different results even though they may be done on the same rig.

LPSpinner

Last edited:
I own and use open and closed back and enjoy both types.

I find that variations between different open or different closed back headphones far outweigh the differences between types.

Good point, My Sony MDR-7506 headphones are closed backs and although they also have a slight discontinuity in the lower mid-bass region (250Hz) they do not sound like a typical closed back headphone. The drivers are operating into a small well damped ear cup and the drivers are also placed very close to the ears, Thery are bright, forward and will tell you exactly what is happening in the mix. On paper they stick to the Harman EQ curve most of the way but they seem to buck the trend.

As I have said earlier my two other closed back headphones use internal DSP across all modes so you can't reliably pass a comment other than the fact that DSP may appear to solve the issue.

LPSpinner.

advertisement

Back