advertisement

Onkyo - gone bust

Hi, it always amazes me that a bank would loan £20,000,000, to a failing business, i understand it comes in drips and drabs, but still, i would love to be in £20 million debt, they seem to hand out cash to company's, while joe public struggles to get a mortgage,
It's the brand name which is worth wonger...public Joe's name ain't worth nowt!

My musical fidelity HTP 6000 seems very good value..fine two channel pre amp..fine dac too..plus a load of video TV stuff which I have less than no interest in..I have a old yamaha reciever and it's sounds very fine with a pair of my dynaudios...if a youngling wanted some hifi advice? A old yamaha reciever pair of dynaudio 42s job done! Van Godamme cabling until the younglings gets a better job! Then LFD cables...yamaha natural sound is rather splendid
A used recent Yammy hifi receiver plus the Dyns would be my shout, no worries about a recap and streaming built in, the 803 is real VFM and the 303D offers a lot of performance for not much £, ran one with Zensor 3 at the office with good results.

Hi, it always amazes me that a bank would loan £20,000,000, to a failing business, i understand it comes in drips and drabs, but still, i would love to be in £20 million debt, they seem to hand out cash to company's, while joe public struggles to get a mortgage,

Likely mostly money owed to suppliers, staff, other group companies (if there were any) that kind of thing. Debt is just the catch all term.

These days banks don't like lending to business at all unless they're huge and the debt can be secured on something or guaranteed by a really huge parent company. OTOH they love handing out mortgages. It's the simplest most risk free way of lending. If you had a small business today and ask the bank for a loan they'd offer you a remortgage (if you have lots of equity) or else tell you to sling your hook. That apart bank business lending is long extinct.

Onkyo dropped off the radar years ago with new exciting award winning products unlike the other players from Japan
Rotel , Denon , Marantz , Yamaha , Teac , Esoteric still have new award winning ranges

Exception to the rule being Quad? Hang on...I know they have been bought out..but still very good equipment and exceptional customer service..

I'm guessing that's the difference between a viable business changing ownership and someone just buying the rights to a name and slapping it on whatever crud they happen to be churning out.

@messengerman funnily enough AJS sprung to mind for me too.

https://www.lbtechreviews.com/news/hi-fi/onkyo-has-gone-bankrupt

Seems the part of the market they are in no longer exists? Appears to me that Pioneer, and maybe Rotel may be in the same sector (although better at it), so will they survive long term?

Going forward, might not be much choice for 'starter' systems (for those who prefer to buy new), if any 'young uns' want something better than phone and Bluetooth speaker.

Might be some bargains on Onkyo stuff coming up?

This is sad. Am getting good service from A-9030 amp in the garden office and C-7030 CDP through Metrum Octave in main system. A few hundred quid each when bought c.2014 and 2017 respectively, and great value.

In recent years it seems Onkyo was known mostly for having a $129 CD player that was listenable.

Onkyo were their own worst enemy tbh. They produced excellent quality stuff but never had that badge people craved. They never upped their prices to compete and that cost them in the long run.
Onkyo AV amps were an absolute bargain and so was their customer service. I bought a TX NR616 12 years ago and a few people were having trouble with the HDMI boards failing after a few years. What did Onkyo do? Well they let you upgrade it to their latest TXNR646 for a nominal fee (£150 inc postage and return of the old unit) Even after 5 years of ownership? That's a brand new 4k Dolby Atmos £699 amp for £150. A totally mental kamikaze business plan. But totally great for the consumer.

I'm gonna miss them for that.

I bought a TX-8270 for a friend recently who just wanted a basic 2 channel multi-media system - he loves it. Shame they’re gone - in the late 80s & early 90s they had a fantastic reputation in Australia - most shifted boxes in the hifi store I briefly worked at…next to Rotel

I'm guessing that's the difference between a viable business changing ownership and someone just buying the rights to a name and slapping it on whatever crud they happen to be churning out.
I hope more like what happened to Naim than Nakamichi.

Always thought that the Onkyo PX 100M turntable was one of the direct drive pinnacle decks to emerge from Japan in the 1980s, and due to the spare aesthetic it remains a treasured component today.

6807.jpg

I WANT ONE.

i have no experience with electronics but i rate their 80s speakers very very highly, on par with Yamaha and JBL from the era. Their Grand Scepter probably never made to Europe but seems like a fantastic, all horn design. I listened to their 2000 and 2001 monitors with state of the art drivers (plasma, titanium) and find them extremely good, revealing but relaxed to listen in the best tradition of the West Coast studio monitors. They were designed to compete with Yamaha and JBL and sounds very much like what you can expect. If I would find an unmolested pair with no need to service for another 20 years, I would jump on the for my second system.

Grand Scepters:

grandscepter.JPG

Sharp went in with Pioneer TV division in some sort of JV around 2009/2010 after the Kuro range ceased, most of the Kuro developers/brains were poached by Panasonic. Took many years to get a better HD pic than those old Kuro TVs gave. The Pioneer Elite brand is still in play as part of the VOXX deal.
I still have a Pioneer plasma 2 box system in my second houve, brougth more than 20 years ago

advertisement

Back