advertisement

One Smiths album?

"Wot about Morrisey's solo work ? Is there anything essential or anything to avoid ?"

I quite like the first one "Viva Hate" ("Last night I had a wonderful dream / Margaret on the Guillotine") and really like "Vauxhall & I" a lot. It's not The Smiths and it's preposterously self-indulgent and sentimental but nonetheless i like it.

TonyL is right, as is Colonel mad: buying then chronologically is a perfect idea/ Morrissey, even with the odd super tune like Everyday is Like Sunday, is a fraction of the Smiths. Best one is Viva Hate Imo- but its not in the same division as 5 or so Smiths lps- perhaps on a par with Strangeways (I was dissapointed with this big time).

You've got to get them all I'm afraid. Don't forget Rank the live album as well. I always enjoy that one when I dig it out

'The Queen is Dead' is the best album, but the best place to start, as others have said, is at the beginning, with the 'The Smiths'. They emerged more or less perfectly formed, and listening to this you'll know whether you get it or not.

Don't forget Rank the live album as well.

Listen out for me: I was there the night it was recorded. (It's my sole claim
to pop fame.)

Wot about Morrisey's solo work ? Is there anything essential or anything to avoid ?

Essential:
Your Arsenal (Beethoven Was Deaf - Live)
You Are The Quarry (Live At Earls Court)

Avoid: Kill Uncle

Regards,

Mus

Listen out for me: I was there the night it was recorded. (It's my sole claim
to pop fame.)

Hey - me too. I didn't see you there :rolleyes:

Incidentally, does anyone know what an autographed copy of 'Meat is Murder' is worth? I was given a copy when it came out and found it the other day when going through my LP's.

Sean

Me mam solved the matter by grabbing herself a copy of Meat is Murder.

She wanted that one that went wah-waaaaaah...

you need them all on pristine 12"...

thats the only way to get the full release chronological experience. ( an all the lead out track scribbles.)

"no dude everyday is like sunday is on viva hate"
"no man it's on suedehead"
"no way dude it's viva hate"
"i bet you five bucks"
"i'll take that bet"

'Viva Hate', 'Vauxhall and I' and 'You Are The Quarry'
= Essential Solo Morrissey

There are a few other good tracks around but sadly a lot of his other albums are just too hit and miss for me....some just miss altogether. Especially 'Ringleader..'. The fact that reviewers hearalded it as better than 'YATQ' goes to show how little they know and what lengths they'll go to to get an interview on release.

Jonathan

I hear that in the next few months all the Albums are about to be re-issued in a remastered format with extra tracks...according the St.Johnny Marr in Q/Mojo (can't rememeber which)...the extra tracks will be of the demotrack variety...just Morrisey/Marr...which could be great.

I've got all of the early singles on 7" and 12" and most of the LP's and they are great...my vote would go for Hatful of Hollow and The Queen is Dead.

Went to ses them twice and managed to miss them twice :(...once at the Lyceum when only about 16 and I was worried about getting back WGC if I missed the train so went early and secondly at a GLC festival on the South Bank where I was recovering from getting caught up in the Redskins/National Front Riot...of those where the days..

Paul

is it just me - but when recommending a bands / artists best album - then you simply have to start with their first, then work your way chronologically through their material...imo

I hear that in the next few months all the Albums are about to be re-issued in a remastered format with extra tracks...according the St.Johnny Marr in Q/Mojo (can't rememeber which)...the extra tracks will be of the demotrack variety...just Morrisey/Marr...which could be great.

...not if they're anything like the ABSYMAL sound on the WEA reissues. Get the original Rough Trade CD issues - they're expensive and only available second hand, but so much more worth it. I had "The queen is dead" on both WEA and Rough Trade at the same time and there's actually some bass on the Rough Trade version.

As for Mozza's solo stuff - didn't get on with "You are the quarry" myself - though he was ace at Glastonbury. "This is off my new album - I advise you not to buy it owwwwwah" and of course "With all this rain and mud I suppose you must be sickened. That's OK - I'm sickened every day..."

And the immortal quote from the Jonathan Woss show:
"What would a cat be doing on a plane?"

Quality.

Saw him on the Ringleaders tour at Grimsby Auditorium last year - walks on stage to huge applause and then:-

"So, I really must ask, who put the Grim in Grimsby?" - then smack straight into First of The Gang To Die and Still Ill.

I'm afraid the old dear still does it for me.

Cheers

Rich

advertisement

Back