advertisement

One Smiths album?

Kit Taylor

They've just played a long version of "How Soon is Now" as part of "Fornicating Favorites," a seriously great Saturday afternoon 1 hour rumpy pumpy music mix on BBC6 music (Darling Nicky, When the Levee Breaks, Unfinished Sympathy, GLory Box, Love spreads...).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/shows/liz_kershaw/ - last hour of the show

Brrr, blimey. I'll like to buy just one Smiths album, presumably a great hits/best of. Which one?

TIA

The Charles Hawtrey comp is dreadfully mastered. You gotta buy all the originals - simple.

Cheers

Rich

Buy them all, then all the singles. I'm sorry but there is no other way.

Tony.

(who admittedly hasn't got all the singles, but would like them)

All of them.

Greatest Hits ones miss the point, IMO, although if you insist on 'just one' I'd say Louder Than Bombs because it's got the most tracks.

But all of them really.

I've just put on "Hatfull of Hollow" and it is indeed, fab. Something I didn't realise is that "Hatfull of Hollow" is a compilation of Peel/Jensen sessions rather than conventional recordings, yet it remains the most enduring album from a fairly prolific career.

Possibly "World Won't Listen"

Louder than bombs is a good compilation of 24 singles and some B side gems.

If one LP only it has to be Hatful of Hollow, followed by The Queen is Dead, Meat is Murder, Strangeways Here We Come, The Smiths then Rank.

You should NEVER have just one. Hatful, Smiths, MisM, QisD, WWlisten.. ALL should be bought in that order -& immediately Mr. Kit!

I've just put on "Hatfull of Hollow" and it is indeed, fab. Something I didn't realise is that "Hatfull of Hollow" is a compilation of Peel/Jensen sessions rather than conventional recordings, yet it remains the most enduring album from a fairly prolific career.

Possibly "World Won't Listen"

There are some non-session tracks on HTH e.g. William, Please, How Soon, Heaven Knows.
Cheers

Rich - picky Smiths fan who has everything........

Only one ?........... The Queen is dead , but in all honesty you NEED them all.
The Queen is dead has to be the top recommendation as it has the track There is a light that never goes out , on it , Pure class !!!!

chezi

Wot about Morrisey's solo work ? Is there anything essential or anything to avoid ?

i'd start with hatful of hollow
u will then follow with the queen is dead, the smiths the smiths, and meat is murder. you just wont be able to stop yourself :)

Wot about Morrisey's solo work ? Is there anything essential or anything to avoid ?

A shadow of the former glory IMHO – only consider after The Smiths collection is complete.

Tony.

I have all of the original albums on vinyl except Rank and for me, The World Won't Listen just edges it over The Queen is Dead. The Charles Hawtrey cover compilation unfortunately sounds shite, as mentioned.

Why does no-one recommend 'The Smiths' first, their debut!!! Excellent especially when you take into account it was written in Manchester bedrooms by people on the dole etc etc. Some of the most honest, heart wrenching pop you'll ever hear.

Therefore my advice: start at the beginning and buy the albums in order preferably with the same time gap inbetween as when they were released. You'll get the whole experience then!!!

Jonathan

advertisement

Back