advertisement

One Shade of Grey….new Naim bestseller!?…

I think it looks fabulous...and I bet it sounds fabulous too. I just need a house to match that very modern concrete/brutalist theme going on there.

I usually listen with the lights out...but with this rig, ,I might not...just dreaming again.

Imagine a future scenario; buy this kit but then after a couple of years, upgrade time comes along. Who is going to want to buy a used component in this colour?

Marshall guitar amps have done the same thing. They've put out limited edition heads and cabs in bright colours, you buy the set and keep it as it is.

I think that this is not aimed at those that frequent forums. I would imagine a large part, by value, of the HiFi market is to people who've never even been aware of forums, let alone posted on one. That kind of buyer may well be interested in a high performance music system that requires little/no thought. Buy one, have it installed and off you go.

For the remainder of the market, it depends if Naim are going to make this colour an option on their other products. Imagine a future scenario; buy this kit but then after a couple of years, upgrade time comes along. Who is going to want to buy a used component in this colour? It seems to me that more or less the only market for these is to other owners of grey kit. That will be a small number. OK, some potential buyers won't mind mixing colours but most hifi nerds, sorry enthusiasts, exhibit OCD behaviour, often in the extreme. Having different colour boxes in a system will drive these types nuts!

Naim is rapidly becoming a 'lifestyle' type company, trading on a past reputation. The only advances they have made is in streamer technology, with that being driven by the lifestyle Uniti range. Their amp designs are old with virtually no development going on. Old designs which are just becoming increasingly expensive and ever poorer vfm. Venture capitalists will, of course, want maximum return on their investment, understandably. I've no problem with that, but there are still people around who seem to think that they're the old enthusiasts' Naim; they're not. Their main driver is now maximising profit, be under no illusion.

That would be a Nova or Atom type of buyer

Totally agree with this although I do think the whole 'PRAT' thing is useful and largely correct. For example I have a Collaro LP12 mat which is without question better than the standard Linn mat in hI-fi terms but I've ended up back with the Linn mat as I just find it more engaging. The PRAT philosophy works as it helps you to understand that there are different ways in which you connect to music.
Yes. I think the PRAT thing suits the sound but it’s not necessarily a sign of quality to be honest.

‘Lifestyle’ systems for the rich will be rather different, they tend to be installed via 3rd parties & integrated into the home. The likes of Linn, Meridian, Innuos etc will be far more in this space. Naim stuff takes up far too much room, requires lots of cables etc.

Limited to 50 pair it seems.
Not selling without speakers, sure a dealbreaker for many.
Expensive Lumina cables included.

Maybe no April fool after all.
Interesting...the limited run thing, really works (on me at least). It just adds a certain, 'Je ne sais quoi'. I'm certain they'll sell out quick, without even a demo in most cases.

No mention of it on their website but judging by the video it’ll be an option somewhere in the world if not the UK. Looks like an anniversary edition!

Ooh.. Just off to brush-up on my Korean….

Naim in grey/silver --- looks positively awful…. If it is for the Asian market it should have been polished aluminium rather than the Bead-Blasted matt aluminium.

The new look is only for the the 10Th anniversary Edition, celebrating the 10 years of the Niam/Focal partnership.

Personally, the visual high point for naim was the Olive series. The earlier chrome bumper looked like a bit like DIY kit and the later Black with the illuminated half circle looked a bit bland.

LPSpinner.

How overpriced is this offering? Or is it priced at the sum of its parts, but in a different colour?

I do wonder how many former Naim devotees, having left the fold some time ago, have been sufficiently attracted by what's now on offer to make a return trip. Feel free to self-identify.

I never left the fold,but my main system is 30+ years old. I couldn’t ever consider the equivalent in the current range although I bought a brand new Nait5si last year for a second system and I can highly recommend it. (Did get it unused/open box from a dealer at a 35% discount though).

advertisement

Back