advertisement

One Shade of Grey….new Naim bestseller!?…

Actually my £500 Seiko does it better than a Rolex. Water resistant 200m and accurate to within a second per year. No Rolex mechanical watch can achieve that (or at least not the accurate bit).

Horses for courses. I buy equipment based on sound quality. If you buy for "willy waggling" then entirely different world.

I have an old Naim system from a previous time, If I had to replace it I certainly wouldn't be looking at their current range and prices. ATC and Genelec all the way but I'd keep my DAC3. New TT would be a struggle!
A Seiko does indeed. However a Rolex isn't about telling the time any more than a Ferrari is about driving or a £28k stereo about music. The fact that they will do these things is incidental.

Comparing naim now to then is akin to doing the same with many brands, they just get taken over by bigger companies. Sometimes the products get worse, sometimes better.

It’s not a big deal to me as I enjoyed naim gear for many years & now enjoy my current system even more.

I'm all for companies doing limited run colours and whatnot, but here the grey boxes with black knobs just look even more dated than normal. At least when they're all black they have an element of understatement, in the picture on the AVForums link they just look garish. I bet the Naim forums are going bananas over this though...

It's hard for me to assess the looks because they decided to keep the video almost entirely monochrome, so my brain keeps interpreting the Naim boxes as being an artifact of poor image contrast.

I'm pretty confident that it's a different market sector. Brands can move sector. Burberry did it. So did Audi. Also VW, years ago. Skoda, more recently. Mini. Land Rover.

I think this is close to being true but I'd add that the market is changing and expanding, I don't for one minute think this system is aimed at the traditional audiophile at all but more of a luxury item for the design and brand conscious minted individuals.

As a side note, i find the Naim forums somewhat tiresome - the negativity there is hard to push through sometimes. Still not as bad as the sheer idiocy in the Audiogon forums, tho.

Flogged off to the French, loads and loads of good people left/got rid of/retired, no major decisions made in the UK. RIP.

I do wonder how many former Naim devotees, having left the fold some time ago, have been sufficiently attracted by what's now on offer to make a return trip. Feel free to self-identify.

I haven’t left the fold, but I also haven’t bought anything from Naim in the last seven years. Still very happy with what I have. Looked briefly at the ND555, but decided it was 1) too expensive, and 2) to my ears, didn’t offer enough of an upgrade (beyond a working screen) over my venerable NDS. Post DR upgrades, there has not really been much on offer for those invested in the classic series black boxes.

advertisement

Back