advertisement

Olive Naim system

koi

pfm Member
I am thinking of another 2nd system and reading some of my vintage hifi mags quite fancy a bit of Olive Naim!

Naim 82 pre
Naim 250 power
Naim hi cap

This was a system that was highly recommended in those vintage days

Is there any other olive naim gear I should consider as mentioned it's a second system and not to worried if it's not the best in sound quality stakes.

Thanks in advance

I'd ditch the 82/Hicap in favour of a 52 even it meant using it with a 140 or 180. I'd look for a CDS too.

I would get a 72 fitted with RSL boards, hi-cap and spend the difference on 135's rather than the 250.

I am thinking of another 2nd system and reading some of my vintage hifi mags quite fancy a bit of Olive Naim!

Naim 82 pre
Naim 250 power
Naim hi cap

Thanks in advance

That's what I've had for years. I'm happy. A 72/140 is a sweet spot and a lot cheaper. It depends on what you want from a second system. An 82HC250 will be beaten by a 52 but that's always been the case, it's the way a range is supposed to work- the further up you go the better you get.

What's it to go with? Is it hitting your budget? ES 14s would work well. Again that's what I use:D:D:D

I had 72/140 for a little while, traded it in for 82/250/hi cap. I felt it was a big jump well worth the extra dosh ( bought it new). A couple of years ago I sold the hi cap and bought a Teddy Dual Cap. I was really pleased with the improvement, it seemed to add clarity and focus. Having said all that the whole lot is in boxes waiting for a big eBay clear out!

And so it begins.......the descent into the dark side and an empty wallet!

Already the Tempters are circling. "Yes, you could start with a 72/140. - add a Hicap and you could then get 135s". And you are ponder, "If I bought just one more box...." Mwha ha ha, Success! We've got you!

You end up at Naimaholics Anomymous. "My name is Suzywong, and I just wanted an entry level Chrome Bumper set for my Kans. But I yielded unto temptation, and like an avalanche, olive box after olive box (along with a couple of pairs of NAC A5 and new stands with lots of shelves - for all the boxes, natch.) came into my humble abode.....and my wallet was empty."

Music's good tho' :)

I used to run 82-Hi-250 and would still consider it a perfectly capable first system today. Sold it but would gladly buy it back. For a second system, 72-140 or a Nait would probably be more fun.

I have a 72 in excellent condition. it has moving magnet phono cards in. I bought it as I was going to go to a 72/140 but not able to sell my amps that I'm using. I paid £385 for it so was looking to get that back. If that's of any interest.

The 72, 140, HiCap + Kan 1 or 2 is an absolute sweet spot in the Naim range.

It's bigger than the sum of it's parts.

For the 150 bucks a TPR4 costs + Kendeils while you are at it, you virtually double up the

musical capabilities of the combination.

To me, this absolutely makes sense, as this combi is outright stunning in what it does

well, but it naturally lacks in certain areas, it's a bit coloured, a bit biassed.

And big orchestral as well as a few things that were called 'serious music' in the past, is not it's

thing..

That's where a division in 1st and 2nd system makes quite a bit more sense than just

having 'another hifi' in another room, not being used much, bc the 1st is better anyway..

In this case, with the music the Kan and the little Naim combi has their strengths, you'll

find yourself moving over to room 2, just because it's so good.. :)

You'll notice with certain music, friends will keep telling you system 2 is better than

system 1 & changing that will become potentially really expensive or, if you have it, you

did an exceptionally good choice but it was anything but cheap then, either.

What's system 1 btw & what speaker do you have in mind whith system 2..?

And so it begins.......the descent into the dark side and an empty wallet!

Already the Tempters are circling. "Yes, you could start with a 72/140. - add a Hicap and you could then get 135s". And you are ponder, "If I bought just one more box...." Mwha ha ha, Success! We've got you!

You end up at Naimaholics Anomymous. "My name is Suzywong, and I just wanted an entry level Chrome Bumper set for my Kans. But I yielded unto temptation, and like an avalanche, olive box after olive box (along with a couple of pairs of NAC A5 and new stands with lots of shelves - for all the boxes, natch.) came into my humble abode.....and my wallet was empty."

..today in the radio they said we should care for elderly people,

who tend to suffer from dehydration in the heat.

I laughed out by heart seing your post..

...and then got me a glass of water.. ;)

The 72, 140, HiCap + Kan 1 or 2 is an absolute sweet spot in the Naim range.

It's bigger than the sum of it's parts.

For the 150 bucks a TPR4 costs + Kendeils while you are at it, you virtually double up the

musical capabilities of the combination.

To me, this absolutely makes sense, as this combi is outright stunning in what it does

well, but it naturally lacks in certain areas, it's a bit coloured, a bit biassed.

And big orchestral as well as a few things that were called 'serious music' in the past, is not it's

thing..

That's where a division in 1st and 2nd system makes quite a bit more sense than just

having 'another hifi' in another room, not being used much, bc the 1st is better anyway..

In this case, with the music the Kan and the little Naim combi has their strengths, you'll

find yourself moving over to room 2, just because it's so good.. :)

You'll notice with certain music, friends will keep telling you system 2 is better than

system 1 & changing that will become potentially really expensive or, if you have it, you

did an exceptionally good choice but it was anything but cheap then, either.

What's system 1 btw & what speaker do you have in mind whith system 2..?

Good post there. :)

I'd get the 82 a dual teddycap rather than a Hicap.

Tried this path and didn't work for me. Used two hiccups for a while and I am now back on one. Very satisfied with this combo. For a main system though......;)

sry but TSR (Teddy Cap)and TPR4 are both superior technologys in such an undoubted and obvious way, it's not even funny.

An 82 in my view needs 2 Hicaps, otherwise having an 82 doesn't make much sense.

That said, I regard the presentation of a 72 with 1 HiCap clearly more convincing in itself than an 82 with only 1 HiCap.

A 72 + HiCap TPR4 will make an 82 1HC appear broke in comparison.

1 HC is like going by foot, 2HC is like taking the bicycle and dual Teddy means similar to

driving by car for a free distance of 5 miles.

If you feel you are capable of winning by foot against the two alternatives, that is nice

confidence at least, but you are virtually absolutely alone in that, from all I ever heard in

reviews here, as in my own personal xp.. :)

82, 2HC, here

(see the phantastic power supply thread by colasblue here, recently:

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=176198&highlight=colasblue

Like others have mentioned, 72, HiCap, 140 is a great system.
It's my main system now after various other combos higher up the the chain, pre/power combos, supernait etc.

Now fitted with with some Avondale pixie dust, 821s/TPR4 in the HiCap. I only listen to vinyl though.

No thoughts of changing, other than messing about with speakers.

Now fitted with with some Avondale pixie dust, 821s/TPR4 in the HiCap. I only listen to vinyl though.

...sounds great...how would you characterise the change to 821s ?
Is it night and day difference..in which way it changes ?

Regards, T

advertisement

Back