advertisement

OLED TVs

Plus he's hilarious (if you like that kind of humour of course :))

I need to catch up on his videos, haven't watched any for nearly a year now.
Yes, thereā€™s definitely a chuckle or two to be had with his videos. šŸ˜†

Almost correct.

MicroLED is a purely emissive technology just like OLED (QD-OLED being a variant of OLED obviously) based panels. So there are two technologies that "forms an image using light emitting diodes".

Also, I've never personally had much of a problem with my OLED (or the Plasma previously for that matter) in daylight conditions. Except when the sun is literally shining through the window to my seating position (which it does frequently in winter as the sun is low and the window south facing). Of course a lot depends on your tolerance and expectation for how bright you need your TV to be. Ironically, I often find LED TVs not very watchable in brighter conditions as their contrast is so poor and so even though the pcture is bright it's washed out*. I'd rather watch a dimmer but more "punchy" picture personally.

*To be fair I don't really have experience of the top end of the LED market, so my comment pertains to the cheaper end LED TVs.
I wrote "mini LED", and you explained "micro LED". We are both correct, because these are different things.

I didn't realise Micro LED had reached consumer products, but Samsung now offer a 75-inch set, which is just small enough to count as domestic use.

I wrote "mini LED", and you explained "micro LED". We are both correct, because these are different things.

I didn't realise Micro LED had reached consumer products, but Samsung now offer a 75-inch set, which is just small enough to count as domestic use.
My comment was intended to be in addition to your post, not a replacement for any part of it. I wasn't sure if you just weren't aware of microLED or didn't realise it was self emissive. I should have been clearer about that in my post.

I strongly suspect MicroLED will take far longer to come down in size and price than OLED originally did*, it may never be possible to produce it consistently enough without error to ever be a viable replacement in the consumer market. Which would be a huge shame in my view, as it's almost the perfect technology in theory. Only time will tell.

*That said there was a period of a number of years (I forget how many now) where OLED only existed as a handful of large, hugely expensive (over Ā£15-20k) TVs, before almost out of nowhere they appeared on the market from a few manufacturers relatively quickly and at "affordable" prices.

^ the difference now is that China is a huge competitor in the TV market. If MicroLED is seen as the future they will find a way to produce affordable screens.

The first OLED sets were actually very small, and crazily expensive, and it took a decade to scale the technology up to a size big enough for a living room. MicroLED is the opposite, and has a similar problem to plasma sets, that the emitters themselves cannot be packed close together easily (with micro LEDs, heat is the main issue).

MicroLED is basically a smaller version of the technology used for video walls at concerts and for advertising boards at football matches: it has high brightness, and true blacks, but it's power hungry and hard to make at small size and high resolution. But if you've got a home cinema room already, then a 100" screen is probably in your budget, and there's nothing else like it.

advertisement

Back