advertisement

OLED TVs

OLED does motion completely different way to plasma or LED. It causes some people to have issues with the way they handle motion. Ironicially it's actually the fact that OLED does not blur the image like a plasma or LED would that causes the issue. Only way to know is to watch one.
Yes you're right I need to get one and have a proper 'mess' - the one I got was a QLED so older generation and I messed forever with the settings, eventually getting something acceptable, at least for films. But with ordinary tv the faces looked like wax dummies (a bit like David Cameron) and sport was a real pain. From what everyone says on here OLED should be much better, and I see that a 48' LG C2 is around 799 so very tempting....

LED and OLED are still improving.
Converging in some ways: Mini LED are getting more accurate and less 'halo', while OLED are getting brighter.
Despite that I'm getting interested in a short-throw projector...

Reactions: gez
I'm holding out (almost certainly in vain - or pointless hope) for microLED to come down both in size and price to affordable levels.

If my TV were to give up the ghost now, I'd almost certainly go with one of the latest OLED TVs. QD-OLED has some way to go yet to prove to me that it's not still hampered by new technology teething problems. Maybe in 5 years and 3 more panel iterations they'll have ironed out its issues sufficiently. Much like OLED (and probably all the other technologies previous) had to.

Does anyone else have days when they look at their telly and think “Crikey, that’s more than big enough!”,and on other days “Another ten inches of screen would be perfect..”

It doesn’t seem to matter if the telly is on or off, lights on or off. It just appears to vary its apparent size.

50” LED, Panasonic, 7 years old, and OLEDS leave its picture in the starting blocks. However, at the mo it ain’t that important, and most telly is cack anyway.

Crikey
$1999 for 100inch in the States from TCL & Hisense
Rumours of $100 wholesale for 50inch
Goodbye to Samsung , LG , Sony & all the rest. Another industry killed off by state funded Chinese companies

Just saw a comment onthe picture angle with a LED 50 I don't think 50s are available with IPS panels which are far better for offset viewing,
I doubt the LED tvs are IPS panels any more since they have limited contrast ratio? I would think that VA variants have taken over or they should have as the technology is far superior after a shakey start

I doubt the LED tvs are IPS panels any more since they have limited contrast ratio? I would think that VA variants have taken over or they should have as the technology is far superior after a shakey start
Here's your answer (at least for the US market). TLDR: predominantly VA, with more IPS than you might think.

Note, in shops TVs tend to have a ‘demo mode’ which significantly increases the contrast which cause colours to ‘pop’. You’d have eye strain in no time if you watched tv with these settings at home…
Agreed.
'Filmmaker' mode bypasses all the processing to give the purest picture.
Filmmaker also tends to give a more natural colour palette.

I found with 60Hz OLED TV as a monitor I occasionally noticed a marginal flicker, usually when moving my head and/or in my peripheral vision. Went away with 120Hz OLED (still with same laptop outputting 60Hz 4K).

These are interesting videos:
For me, wrong adjective, Gez. Whether it was the timbre of their (female) voices, the verbal diarrhoea of delivery or simply the American twang in monotone I don't know, but nothing registered as info. I could take on board.

Now where did I see that for sale valve-based CRT goldfish bowl I grew up with....?

Didn't jump for OLED last year and instead went for a range topping Neo QLED (mini led) set. It has a superb picture with great blacks, colours and contrast and we have a bright viewing environment. On top of that the sound is excellent.

Daytona,

Wow, that is a big TV, though I fear that it, too, would watch me after 15 minutes.

Joe
It depends how far away you sit from your TV. We've a 77” LG OLED in our Suffolk home, & because of where we sit, it really doesn't look huge. The panel's unfeasibly thin though.

Tony,

The issue for me isn't so much the size of the screen as the cat blocking my view. Well, that and I have this ability to fall asleep within minutes of watching anything except Trek.

nKBdOxl.jpeg

Joe

Here's your answer (at least for the US market). TLDR: predominantly VA, with more IPS than you might think.

The viewing angle of my 27" AMVA+ monitor I use for my media center is excellent. I have an early VA monitor I use with a pc and the improvement ( in viewing angle ) is staggering over that. VA panels originally were slow with notaceable movement blur, my Ilyama one has no such issues. And the good thing is they don't cost the earth. They were a cheap technology The article is no longer true re viewing angle for VA, certainly not poor. The trouble with IPS panels is with dark scenes like night time where the images can be murky grey and lack contrast, in fact horrible. I dont have any edge issues as suggested by the article

For me, wrong adjective, Gez. Whether it was the timbre of their (female) voices, the verbal diarrhoea of delivery or simply the American twang in monotone I don't know, but nothing registered as info. I could take on board.

Now where did I see that for sale valve-based CRT goldfish bowl I grew up with....?
Well in summary (contrary to my previous post and belief) they have concluded after one year of accelerated usage that:

• LED and OLED have about the same longevity in terms of panel use before they start showing signs of permanent "burn in" (that phrase is a misnomer - at least for OLED - but it's the phrase people are familiar with).
  • QD-OLED first generation panels are significantly worse than current OLED, but the second generation appear to have improved, but time will tell how they hold up (I'd still avoid them personally just on principle - I don't usually get involved with new tech until it's on at least it's third generation - there are exceptions).

Is it worth paying the premium for Sony or Panasonic variants of the LG tellies?
In most cases, LG supply the OLED panels to Sony and Panasonic so there is little to choose between them, other than features, price and processors.

advertisement

Back