advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not taht interesting. It's Farage being being asked on ITV if the £350 million a week saved will go to the NHS. He says he can't say that and he thinks the official Remainers made a mistake.

I mean who cares? He's an MEP and leader of a party with 1 MP. It isn't like he's part of the government and will decide where the money goes. Farage the racist isn't a particularly important person, much though he likes to play it up.

Jack

Thanks. Yer right, don't need to hear him.

So what, let them go away. We could do with less overpaid, tax dodging, professional liars in the City.

Jack

Careful, Jack, remember that much of the UK's income comes from said overpaid, tax-dodging, professional liars. The overpaid, tax-dodging, professional liars in Frankfurt, New York and Dublin are doubtless rubbing their hands with glee.

How soon before the Scots can have another referendum to leave the UK and join the EU?

He is actually a rather erudite, talented and attractive she:

http://www.bristows.com/our-people/annsley-merelle-ward/

and what she says makes a lot of sense. We as a profession are all heavily involved in the innovative industries and it is in our interests (and theirs and the country's) to see them grow and develop. I desperately hope I'm wrong, but I fear we shall now see a flight of talent and capital from the UK (remember that most innovative industries in the UK are not British) and the country will be greatly diminished as a result.

Mick's right, this is democracy in action, but I fear that you and your descendants will pay a steep price for yesterday's exercise in applied democratic foolishness.

Tones, she is rather fine she but the fact is of course those with very specific interests will need to adjust. I very much doubt her career is over and in reality if the work for those specific EU IP lawyers dries up they will move in to other areas and adjust. That is the reality of the situation.

To that end I wonder how many people voted because their very specific circumstances warranted it, as opposed to looking at the situation from a less selfish perspective?

I don't really know what all the implications are, but one thing I do absolutely stand by is that our economic future is going to be determined by our own ability to create products or provide services that have value around the world. And the EU will not create that as many members experience today.

We were the sick man of Europe back in the day because we deserved to be. We were making crap products and had lost the plot. The EU did not save us, it forced us to get our shit together, we started to get the concept of competition and looked around at what the rest of the world was doing. Thatcher made people greedy which stimulated growth.

I am bitter that the EU has brought this on all of us, it should not have been necessary. I spoke with a US friend last night, we mused over his current political system where of all the extraordinary people in America, it's quite something when the presidency boils down to these two candidates. He knows it's the system which does this, it has become so inextricably bastardised with money and lobby groups that it is twisted. The EU is heading that very same way in my view.

But back to the UK; we really need to understand that neither the world, nor the EU, owe us a living. If you want a wealthy society you need to do it yourself. I am tired of the gap between wealth and poor here, but we get out of it ourselves, being connected to 27 other states via the EU, many with far greater issues than us will not solve those problems.

And an awful lot quieter "Leave" side since the result, the impact of the markets and Farage's claims of mistakes.

Normally the victors celebrate. Here and across the net, I get the distinct impression that many are mildly alarmed and embarrassed.

Many thought they could 'safely' do a protest vote, i imagine.

Anyway, we won't be hearing from those who thought their leave votes would be erased and changed, i guess....

We all voted out, 3 under 30, 2 over 60, not over immigration fears but because my kids will never have the opportunities to own a dwelling in the UK. We are hoping to see house prices fall, at what expense is immaterial as we are potless anyway.

Bloss

Housing prices will fall ONLY if Britain falls into a depression. Not a recession, but a depression.

Deflation is poison. It shuts an economy right down.

Clumsy, careless Cameron. He's effed it all up and effed off.

Paddy Ashdown predicted it last year:

Clt-X3yWgAASuna.jpg

Like you I voted stay. I'm a Scot but I'm not sure I'm proud about it.

Though I think this time, Ill also vote leave - not because I think a population the size of greater Manchester can flourish, but because with the decline of industry generally, the loss(temporarily??) of oil revenue, and the withdrawal of ship repair/building from England, I would guess we could be applying to the IMF in about 5 - 10 years.

If the "Witch" proves me wrong I will be very happy.

More or less sums me up too (not proud etc) but I'll only vote for independence if Scotland definitely remains in the EE.

I still can't believe the result although I expected it, presumably labour will be tabling a no confidence motion in the government now which will lead to a general election which of course has been Corbin's plan along along?

Ok, so let me see how things are working out. We wanted free of Brussels, we wanted to take control, we wanted to stop immigration.

So jobs are already being moved from the City to Frankfurt and Dublin - because these trading functions need to be based in the EU. The slow evisceration of the City starts, and will only continue. Not that I'm a fan of the City, but without its contribution, GDP would be falling.

The pound has fallen. Good news for exporters, in theory. Except that nobody will want to invest in new productive capacity until they know what the tariff agreements with other countries will be, which could take years. Bad news for everybody else, as the lower pound will increase the price of imports, from food to oil.

It is now abundantly clear (in case it ever wasn't) that the EU will not grant UK access to the single market unless free movement of labour continues - did anybody really doubt this? So either we are out of the single market, or else we agree to continued free movement of labour - and if we do that, what was the point of leaving?

Our internal economy will now suffer because very few firms will invest when the rules aren't clear - so new jobs which might have happened if we stayed in the EU will be deferred or cancelled, and we can kiss goodbye to any further inward investment from outside the EU. Our overseas-owned car industry will migrate to EU locations, just more slowly than the City jobs.

Rather than taking control, we seem to have lost it. We are now utterly dependent on the EU whilst negotiating the terms of leaving, and EU which has every incentive to be tough on the UK to deter other countries from toying with leaving. And we don't even have a clear agenda for negotiations, it's not even clear whether we want to be in the single market or not. The EU are saying article 50 needs to be invoked urgently, but Johnson says there is no hurry. Why, is that because he doesn't know what to do, and needs time to think? Control, my arse!

We've been sold down the river by our politicians. A Tory infight has blown up into a festival of fear, lies and denial. We have been promised an end to immigration without spelling out the conditions. We've been told EU will happily let us stay in the single market. We've been told not to listen to the experts. A mendacious press has fanned the flame - power with irresponsibility. And the population has been gulled into blaming the effects of austerity on the EU and migration, when it has been a conscious choice of Cameron's governments.

It is worrying that voting patterns show that the young, and the better educated, are much more in favour of the EU than the old, and those with fewer educational achievements. This is a political failure by all parties to make the positive case, with the tabloid press filling the vacuum and the BBC trying to project balance rather than report truth.

Can anybody see ANY upside in all this?

Dear Tony, I always respect your judgement,but I cannot believe you wrote that.

In hindsight it may be a little too angry/over-emotional, and I regret losing my temper with what I do honestly view as idiocy and ignorance spurred on by gross lies and propaganda, but even so I would far prefer the ones that did this to the country pay the price rather than those of us who didn't!

I guess I'm really lucky in that I'm self employed, have zero debt, have some assets and receive just over a third of my income in US Dollars (i.e. a weak pound means I get some more pounds), but if I was employed in a 'real' job such as manufacturing, farming or anything remotely connected to the EU, multinationals or import/export I'd be crapping myself right now. I'd be way beyond livid, but as things are as long as the banks don't actually collapse and I'm not torched in any riots etc I'll survive. I'll likely lose my EU record customers once random customs charges, the Bottom Inspectors etc come in, but I've lost almost all of it anyway to be honest due to already far too high RM postage prices. I think I lost the last of my world zone business a good while ago. I used to ship vinyl to most countries on the planet, that has fallen through the floor recently.

Anyway I can wait it out. The annoying thing is leaving the EU has effectively removed the exits, e.g. running away to somewhere cheap and sunny like Portugal, Greece or wherever is now off the table. I'm stuck in bloody Little England!

Ok, so let me see how things are working out. We wanted free of Brussels, we wanted to take control, we wanted to stop immigration.

So jobs are already being moved from the City to Frankfurt and Dublin - because these trading functions need to be based in the EU. The slow evisceration of the City starts, and will only continue. Not that I'm a fan of the City, but without its contribution, GDP would be falling.

The pound has fallen. Good news for exporters, in theory. Except that nobody will want to invest in new productive capacity until they know what the tariff agreements with other countries will be, which could take years. Bad news for everybody else, as the lower pound will increase the price of imports, from food to oil.

It is now abundantly clear (in case it ever wasn't) that the EU will not grant UK access to the single market unless free movement of labour continues - did anybody really doubt this? So either we are out of the single market, or else we agree to continued free movement of labour - and if we do that, what was the point of leaving?

Our internal economy will now suffer because very few firms will invest when the rules aren't clear - so new jobs which might have happened if we stayed in the EU will be deferred or cancelled, and we can kiss goodbye to any further inward investment from outside the EU. Our overseas-owned car industry will migrate to EU locations, just more slowly than the City jobs.

Rather than taking control, we seem to have lost it. We are now utterly dependent on the EU whilst negotiating the terms of leaving, and EU which has every incentive to be tough on the UK to deter other countries from toying with leaving. And we don't even have a clear agenda for negotiations, it's not even clear whether we want to be in the single market or not. The EU are saying article 50 needs to be invoked urgently, but Johnson says there is no hurry. Why, is that because he doesn't know what to do, and needs time to think? Control, my arse!

We've been sold down the river by our politicians. A Tory infight has blown up into a festival of fear, lies and denial. We have been promised an end to immigration without spelling out the conditions. We've been told EU will happily let us stay in the single market. We've been told not to listen to the experts. A mendacious press has fanned the flame - power with irresponsibility. And the population has been gulled into blaming the effects of austerity on the EU and migration, when it has been a conscious choice of Cameron's governments.

It is worrying that voting patterns show that the young, and the better educated, are much more in favour of the EU than the old, and those with fewer educational achievements. This is a political failure by all parties to make the positive case, with the tabloid press filling the vacuum and the BBC trying to project balance rather than report truth.

Can anybody see ANY upside in all this?

Neat summary, struggling for upsides beyond Cameron gone hopefully to be followed by Osborne but the price will much higher than is currently accepted.

In hindsight it may be a little too angry/over-emotional, and I regret losing my temper with what I do honestly view as idiocy and ignorance spurred on by gross lies and propaganda, but even so I would far prefer the ones that did this to the country pay the price rather than those of us who didn't!

I guess I'm really lucky in that I'm self employed, have zero debt, have some assets and receive just over a third of my income in US Dollars (i.e. a weak pound means I get some more pounds), but if I was employed in a 'real' job such as manufacturing, farming or anything remotely connected to the EU, multinationals or import/export I'd be crapping myself right now. I'd be way beyond livid, but as things are as long as the banks don't actually collapse and I'm not torched in any riots etc I'll survive. I'll likely lose my EU record customers once random customs charges, the Bottom Inspectors etc come in, but I've lost almost all of it anyway to be honest due to already far too high RM postage prices. I think I lost the last of my world zone business a good while ago. I used to ship vinyl to most countries on the planet, that has fallen through the floor recently.

Anyway I can wait it out. The annoying thing is leaving the EU has effectively removed the exits, e.g. running away to somewhere cheap and sunny like Portugal, Greece or wherever is now off the table. I'm stuck in bloody Little England!

Quoted wrong post sorry

I don't disagree but they've been lied to as never before and their lack of education has been exploited IMHO Strummer.

That's wrong. And they will pay for it. Not the Eton boys or those with comfortable lifestyles and investment portfolios.

I think we all get lied to. Just look at this campaign from both sides.

I guess we'll see. I believe the general population will be better off out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back