advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+4)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just listened to the SinnFein woman on Ch4 news. She was quite scathing of the announcement of the backstop.

Well, Geordie Greig campaigned for remain and had many clashes with Dacre over Europe.

Rothermere is also a remainer. Now he's got a fellow remainer as editor it could get very interesting. More pressure on Mad Mrs May I reckon.

I'm told that Geordie is as cunning as a cunning fox that has been taking cunning tablets and very ruthless.

With respect, what the hell has 2008/2009 got to do with Brexit?
You should know, EV, as the one that brought up sterling's position post 2009 to explain migratory patterns in 2018. Convoluted, I agree, and counter-productive as the numbers in 2008-9 demonstrate that "Pound tanks, EU migrants stay away or go home", which is presumably not what you wanted to prove.

Laura Knusburg sounding somber about Mrs.May’s prospects today. Liam Fox is on, lying through his teeth about cabinet unity.

You should know, EV, as the one that brought up sterling's position post 2009 to explain migratory patterns in 2018...

I didn't. I brought up sterling's position post 2009 to show that it might have been less of a factor in 2018's migratory patterns than the all-round bandwagonning on pfm would have us all blindly accept. It didn't prevent seasonal workers from coming to the UK then, and whilst I have accepted, indeed never denied, that it may have been (a Brexit-related) factor in 2018's patterns, there are other almost certainly more relevant factors in play too that have absolutely bugger-all to do with Brexit, namely the significantly improving availability of work, and pay rates, in parts of mainland Europe.

You are amongst the very sharpest razors in the pfm bathroom cabinet, PsB, and you know exactly what I was saying, indeed you've already agreed with much of it. For God's sake don't you start this malarkey of pulling out minor nuances of my case and trying to make it sound as if I am in some way contradicting myself. I'm not. This is all very clear.

The pfm majority case, and indeed of oft touted and glib standard left-lib internet forum one, is that the current sparsity of available seasonal workers in the UK is entirely down to the absolute certainty that there has been such an increase in xenophobic behaviour that people no longer want to come and pick fruit here because they don't feel welome any more. There has latterly been a bit of opportunist piling onto the sterling bandwagon too, and whilst the latter may or may not hold some water (in combination with those other factors) the former demonstrably doesn't. The main reason that these seasonal workers aren't coming here at the moment is almost certainly largely decided by the fact that they don't actually need to any more. Believe me, if there wasn't available work and reasonable pay rates on offer in Europe, they would still be here.

Boris caught on tape addressing a Thatcherite pressure group- predicting a meltdown caused by Brexit and saying what he really thinks about the Irish border issue.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jun/07/boris-johnson-admits-there-may-be-a-brexit-meltdown

Some will do very nicely out of the impending chaos and Boris is first among equals.

“I am increasingly admiring of Donald Trump,” he said. As if we couldn't work that one out. https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexspence...cording?utm_term=.tbqOnQP0A&bftwuk#.iaMBpMydA

Brexit is a game to Johnson. The fact that he either a) doesn't care what happens to people or jobs or food or medicine in the short term, or b) thinks he is omniscient enough to know what will happen when a complex modern economy leaves the EU just shows what a deluded, reckless, egomaniac, Trump-lite of a man he is.

We are a few months from Brexit and Johnson's answer to the problems we face is "It’s not beyond the wit of man".

Astonishing. With this lot in charge, expect a storm next April. I see the Daily Mail are currently hyping 'lawless Britain'. They ain't seen nothing yet.

Its all a crazy game to them, and people like Johnson ffs it makes me fume argghh. They couldn't give a toss.

Boris will be comfortably off regardless of the outcome. It puts more pressure on May though, and can she afford to sack him?

This is turning into an utter shambles - ok, that happened ages ago. I can see May calling a snap election.

Was it a leak or was it part of Team Boris' plan? Watch out to see if Team Gove do anything over the weekend.

"Lucy Fisher‏Verified account @LOS_Fisher
Tory Brexiteer Gerald Howarth says of Boris tape: "It serves a valuable purpose." Many Leave voters are "alarmed and deeply despondent about the way they see things going... a Brexit in name only... They will have taken great heart at what the Foreign Sec has said.""

This charletan's latest attempt to distance himself from the ruinous damage his little vanity project to succeed Cameron has caused.

May must heed LBJ's advice and keep him firmly in the tent. Now the sh1t is hitting the fan he must take centre stage. Love the Trump comment, such hypocrisy when you consider what he said of him during the US elections. This man will say anything, leak anything, do anything....a thoroughly nasty piece of work as Eddie Mair correctly called him.

Seems like the bonkers scenario I have mentioned before - when Brexit actually happens the majority of the country will be against it - is looking more and more likely.
It’s interesting that on QT every week, there’s a significant rump of shouty, gammon folk still belching out stock phrases from the DM. One woman last night said something like “we need another Churchill in charge to get us our Brexit”. They’re sounding more desperate- that their cure all Brexit is being denied them by dark forces. They still seem to believe Brexit will make everything alright, that when we ‘are free to make our own laws, trade with who we want to, decide who’s comin in’, Britain’s golden age will return. After ten years of deadening austerity they’re going to get another couple of decades of Britain as a divisive social and economic backwater thrown on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back