advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+24)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you suggesting the EU would persue tariffs on cars
It seems to me you don’t understand this tariff business, or you don’t understand the implications of no-deal Brexit. Possibly both.

In the event of a no deal Brexit, the EU has no choice but to apply the same tariffs to the U.K. as it does to any other country with which it doesn’t have a trade deal.

This is simply reality.

Edit: Stunsworth beat me to it, dammit!

It seems to me you don’t understand this tariff business, or you don’t understand the implications of no-deal Brexit. Possibly both.

In the event of a no deal Brexit, the EU has no choice but to apply the same tariffs to the U.K. as it does to any other country with which it doesn’t have a trade deal.

This is simply reality.

Edit: Stunsworth beat me to it, dammit!

The EU already have this disagreement ongoing with the US:
You are correct i don't understand WTO rules but i do understand if they have this us agreement and / or Brexit loss of trade the EU is heading for recession.

• Today, the US is the fourth biggest exporter of cars to the European Union: 19% of the total value of US car exports heads for the EU, representing 12% of EU car imports by value.
Tariff rate on EU cars in US Present 2.5% proposed tariff rate could be 15% 25% or 35%
  • The other way around, the United States is the number one destination for EU-built cars, accounting for 29% of the total EU export value and 25% of US global car imports by value.
Tariff rate on US cars in EU 10%

Zero tariff we don't grow oranges.
That’s why you picked citrus! You must assume we are stupid here. I’m asking you about Egyptian potatoes and cabbages, so don’t try and play both sides of the table. Why not hang your UKIP boots up, go down the bowling club and have a pint. Boris is delivering Brexit.

You are correct i don't understand WTO rules but i do understand if they have this us agreement and / or Brexit loss of trade the EU is heading for recession.

• Today, the US is the fourth biggest exporter of cars to the European Union: 19% of the total value of US car exports heads for the EU, representing 12% of EU car imports by value.
Tariff rate on EU cars in US Present 2.5% proposed tariff rate could be 15% 25% or 35%
  • The other way around, the United States is the number one destination for EU-built cars, accounting for 29% of the total EU export value and 25% of US global car imports by value.
This demonstrates two things for me. One, you can do vulgar fractions and two, the American consumer really likes quality European cars. Remember how perplexed you were about how Audi could charge twice as much for a set of wheels compared to an Austin Allegro at present day prices?

I’ve been a combination of busy and horrified to read as much news as normal over the past couple of days, but is it possible that the reason Bozo is so sure he can get a different agreement with the EU is because he is prepared to change May’s red lines?

I’m sure they said at the time that the current offered agreement is the best there can be given the conditions the uk set. If he changes those, could he end up with a revised agreement that might get through the commons?

67203562_10156590892603129_3507784130915991552_n.jpg

<snip> It’s just like Brexit- people voting to make themselves literally poorer. Some are ideologists and some are plain thick.

Whatever do you mean? Are you suggesting I'm thick, Hugh?

I'm agreeing with you when you said...
"people voting to make themselves literally poorer. Some are ideologists and some are plain thick."

For whatever reason, it's what you did in 2014.

2014, Hugh. It's exactly what you did in 2014 and what you're supporting with your vote for the Scottish Nationalist Party.

I notice your party is clamouring again for an independence referendum in Scotland after the tories placed Johnson as PM. I guess you'll be voting again for making Scotland poorer and for leaving the UK without a plan.

dahsei-fa266c54-ddef-4c64-b437-6dc7396a2761.gif

Aside from Dec’s commends on this, it seems to me that this is also a variant on the ‘they need us more than we need them’ Schtick.

This demonstrates two things for me. One, you can do vulgar fractions and two, the American consumer really likes quality European cars. Remember how perplexed you were about how Audi could charge twice as much for a set of wheels compared to an Austin Allegro at present day prices?
You are correct the US love quality European cars, of that there is no doubt.
Will they sell in as great a number as Trump applies tariffs of 25% or 35% and if they don't it will reduce profits.

That’s why you picked citrus! You must assume we are stupid here. I’m asking you about Egyptian potatoes and cabbages, so don’t try and play both sides of the table. Why not hang your UKIP boots up, go down the bowling club and have a pint. Boris is delivering Brexit.
Citrus was a good example because we don't grow oranges and it is a tariff that is really a tax on the poor.
As you imply we do grow potatoes and cabbages so tariffs may be necessary to protect jobs. These tariffs could be used for UK investment or reducing our deficit.

McDonnell not ruling out backing a new Boris deal for leave...
https://twitter.com/i/status/1154159553300144133

But appearing on ITV's Peston show just hours after Mr Johnson was sworn in, Mr McDonnell was asked what Labour's position on Brexit would be in a snap general election.

He said: "My view is that at the moment we would almost certainly be Remain.

"If he comes back with some sort of deal we'll look at that, just like we did last time. But at the moment I can't see him stitching up a deal that's acceptable either to Labour or quite a bit of his own side as well, so it looks as though we'll then be in a straight situation between a no-deal and Remai
n."​

But appearing on ITV's Peston show just hours after Mr Johnson was sworn in, Mr McDonnell was asked what Labour's position on Brexit would be in a snap general election.

"If he comes back with some sort of deal we'll look at that, just like we did last time. But at the moment I can't see him stitching up a deal that's acceptable either to Labour or quite a bit of his own side as well, so it looks as though we'll then be in a straight situation between a no-deal and Remai
n."​

He might just as well have said "if he comes back with the moon on a stick". File under safe comments that don't sound too obstructive, but mean little.

Not at all the EU has been charging higher tariffs than the US on cars. Now they have Trump who has done his usual trick of placing a higher value to negotiate a realistic figure.
While you seem to register simple disparate facts, you demonstrate repeatedly that you’ve no idea how they relate to each other or indeed how they relate to Brexit. I think we’re getting to the bottom of this- it’s Chauncey Gardiner who’s down there.

n."​
The difficulty with Labour’s Heisenberg uncertainty principle act is the haemorrhage of voters it’s cost them. You get up and find they’re backing one plan and by the time you’ve opened the curtains they’re saying something else. It’s alienated the Gammon voters they’ve spent three years pandering to along with everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back