advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+21)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father had two of these...

RIMG0472-e1350561359661.jpg

Brexit must be quiet these days as the thread seems to have become a museum piece for 'class's British car designs. Too many entertaining posts all day to tick them all.

Most of those cars were shxte but the BX wasn't half bad even if it was built on the Chrysler alpine platform. I loved all mine :)

I remember the datsun sunny and cherrys. The iris h bought tons of them. They use to be stored by the distributor in a waterlogged field. All fell apart very quickly completed rusted chassis and bodywork leaving only the purring engine.

I don't think one can dissociate engineers from managers that neatly. In industry, most managers are engineers. Engineers are in charge of quality, manufacturing processes, all that "implementation" stuff....
Rubbish, industry senior management filled up with first accountants and later on with MBAs a few decades ago

Rubbish, industry senior management filled up with first accountants and later on with MBAs a few decades ago
It won't have escaped your razor-sharp observation skills that many MBAs have an engineering degree as their base degree. When is the last time you saw an accountant running quality in an automotive manufacturing environment?

I’m beginning to think this is just actually genius politicking

You know Brexit will be a disaster, so you engineer a standoff with no solution.

You finally say ‘we’ve tried everything’ and ‘regretfully’ offer a second referendum with your deal everyone hates vs remain.

Ok, perhaps not.

Stephen

You know Brexit will be a disaster, so you engineer a standoff with no solution.

You finally say ‘we’ve tried everything’ and ‘regretfully’ offer a second referendum with your deal everyone hates vs remain.

Ok, perhaps not.

Stephen

The current Tory dilemma is hilarious. They are now so desperate to get the Lino out that they're trying to work out how to change the rules so they can shift her. Mad Mrs May simply carries on like nothing has happened. Just like she always does.

I often think that she actually IS a robot.

This government has cut back school funding to such a degree that many schools are having to cut back on the arts. Some have lost them all together, some have made them an optional extra. The £120m government backing for this festival has come from money that should’ve gone to school budgets to enable ordinary kids to have a proper rounded education that includes the arts.

This will be a festival of rank hypocrisy.

(Sorry, here’s a picture of a car)
47631906002_f84b519beb_z.jpg

It won't have escaped your razor-sharp observation skills that many MBAs have an engineering degree as their base degree. When is the last time you saw an accountant running quality in an automotive manufacturing environment?
In electronic engineering management I see plenty of MBAs who have not come from a relevant engineering degree. I also see rather junior QA managers who are engineers have no real authority at all, just a tick box.
Thinking about any engineering company used to have high status QA manager, now demoted to irrelevance and a component standards manager, that function completely gone from most companies.

Ok, perhaps not.

Stephen
I know, it’s a very tempting thought but the truth is just as strange- a grave political incompetent as PM ceaselessly exposing her country to international ridicule and downgrading. Meanwhile, as KS.234 said above, education, other public services and the economy rot.

Really? My three kids all own their own homes. All bought in the last few years. Daughter has a fabulous five bedroomed Victorian semi, eldest son a modern detached with double garage and youngest son just bought his very nice place in the Yorkshire Dales for cash.

These people who are pissing high rents against the wall are obviously doing something wrong. If my three wasters can succeed I don't know what to suggest.

PS 31, 28 and 25.
Ouch!
This is a very ugly sentiment - and to my mind a very Tory sentiment too. It reeks of "everybody could be as comfortable and successful as me if they just got off their arses and put the effort in". Isn't that the pernicious lie that lives at the heart of Conservatism?
It's nice to be proud of your kids' achievements, but to suggest that "there's now virtually nobody unable to get a mortgage to buy their own place" [Harry B : post#31] is an outrageous travesty of the truth. I'm truly surprised at Harry.
ML

Ouch!
This is a very ugly sentiment - and to my mind a very Tory sentiment too. It reeks of "everybody could be as comfortable and successful as me if they just got off their arses and put the effort in". Isn't that the pernicious lie that lives at the heart of Conservatism?
It's nice to be proud of your kids' achievements, but to suggest that "there's now virtually nobody unable to get a mortgage to buy their own place" [Harry B : post#31] is an outrageous travesty of the truth. I'm truly surprised at Harry.
ML

It’s bollocks.

My two kids at 30 and 27 had building societies falling over themselves to offer them mortgages.
One of them is on average wages but has still managed to buy her first property in Manchester.

In electronic engineering management I see plenty of MBAs who have not come from a relevant engineering degree. I also see rather junior QA managers who are engineers have no real authority at all, just a tick box.
Thinking about any engineering company used to have high status QA manager, now demoted to irrelevance and a component standards manager, that function completely gone from most companies.

And Customer Service :rolleyes: outsourced to a call centre somewhere. Dealing with most large companies is a nightmare of faceless junior people reading out 'policy' like it was the 10 Commandments while senior people hide.
Wasn't like that last Century.
"Yes Grandad now settle down. Would you like the TV on ? You can shout at the News."

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back