advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+2)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He made an interesting point about what Brits really think about living in the EU insomuch as mostly they step over it to go to a place on the other side of the world with extremely challenging immigration barriers. 1.3 million Brits live in Australia, that is more than across the whole of the EU. It also says if Brits want to go and live somewhere, they will.
My recollection is not perfect, but did he not say more Brits live in the USA and Canada than the EU. Also the disparity between France and the UK was large.

These were just interesting facts and like you say just illustrates that Brits will travel whether they need passports or not.

His economic or trading ratios between the UK and other countries was compelling too.

There are about 1.3 million UK ex-pats in each of Australia, (USA + Canada) and the EU (sources: BBC for the first two and Fullfact/the UN for the latter).

I can't be bothered to engage more than that at the moment, just pointing out BoJo's apparently shaky grip on the facts.

BBC- Airbus now pointing out the inevitable - their just in time critical supply chain and border check delays are incompatible. As May has now conceded- Brexit means Sacrifices.

He made an interesting point about what Brits really think about living in the EU insomuch as mostly they step over it to go to a place on the other side of the world with extremely challenging immigration barriers. 1.3 million Brits live in Australia, that is more than across the whole of the EU. It also says if Brits want to go and live somewhere, they will.

If they can afford to pay (or get their company to pay) for health insurance, don't claim benefits and be prepared to be deported if the political or their health situation changes, people can live most anywhere they want.

The EU is different. Anyone, whatever their income level or background, can seek opportunities in the EU and make a home in other countries without fear of the above—unless the country they are in decides to leave that is.

Stephen

Stefaan de Rynck in the Guardian reminds us that talking about unrealistic trade and transition proposals is fun but european parliament decided in december talks will not continue until...
"He refused to speculate on how long the transition might last, or if it would extend beyond December 2020, saying the transition could only be agreed once the withdrawal agreement was settled."
So PM May needs to sign what was agreed in december again, after saying in public no UK PM could ever sign that. Now lets get on with it.

BBC- Airbus now pointing out the inevitable - their just in time critical supply chain and border check delays are incompatible. As May has now conceded- Brexit means Sacrifices.

Pah. Just send out the Johnson to make a humorous speech about how we can offset the collapse of the UK aviation industry by selling tins of fizzy lemonade to Botswana.

These were just interesting facts and like you say just illustrates that Brits will travel whether they need passports or not.

They wouldn't be able to travel anywhere much without a passport, unless they all go by yacht and land on deserted coastlines.

They wouldn't be able to travel anywhere much without a passport, unless they all go by yacht and land on deserted coastlines.

Pah. Just send out the Johnson to make a humorous speech about how we can offset the collapse of the UK aviation industry by selling tins of fizzy lemonade to Botswana.

As much as Johnson loves being greeted by pickaninies with watermelon smiles he stayed at home while the French Navy lugged aid into his Caribbean holdings after the hurricane last year.

There are about 1.3 million UK ex-pats in each of Australia, (USA + Canada) and the EU (sources: BBC for the first two and Fullfact/the UN for the latter).

I can't be bothered to engage more than that at the moment, just pointing out BoJo's apparently shaky grip on the facts.
Thanks. It's a good policy to assume everything Boris Johnson says is a lie unless proven otherwise.

If they can afford to pay (or get their company to pay) for health insurance, don't claim benefits and be prepared to be deported if the political or their health situation changes, people can live most anywhere they want.

The EU is different. Anyone, whatever their income level or background, can seek opportunities in the EU and make a home in other countries without fear of the above—unless the country they are in decides to leave that is.

Stephen
Indeed, but for me it adds another bit of insight into why so many voted leave. More people would rather live elsewhere.

Indeed, but for me it adds another bit of insight into why so many voted leave. More people would rather live elsewhere.

Can you expand on that? I did recall a woman saying she voted leave because 'she'd rather just stay in England', but I suspect that's not what you mean.

Stephen

One of the joys of the EU was that you could travel on a national ID card or a photocard driving licence. Still can for now at least.

Whatever happens after Brexit, I will still be able to. (fx: insufferable smugness) .

I'll just put my version of facts here. As far as I recall, Boris did not mention figures, but he did say there were more people living in Australia than in Europe. I believe this is correct. Most sources claim 1.2-1.3 million in Australia and under a million in the EU.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...sthereonbritishmigrantslivingineurope/jan2017

I can't be bothered to engage more at the moment. just pointing out PFM's often tinted view on reality. Boris may be a twat but I don't think he said anything particularly shaky about this quite interesting point. And the point is more interesting than the figures. Even if it was 900,000 in Australia vs 1.3 million in Europe, it says a lot about how most Brits regard Europe.

I liked your “version of the facts” useage (as with your untainted view of reality) Would be an excellent descriptor for Brexit- new versions are emerging weekly.

... it says a lot about how most Brits regard Europe.

There are so many reasons that might make the British prefer Australia that has nothing to do with the EU.

Sun, Language, Culture, History off the top of my head.

I wonder how many problems or issues that 'blame' the EU for something are actually anything to do with the EU?

Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back