advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+19)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Breaking for spares,

2wnn69d.jpg

Looking that way...

But, is it not now the responsibility of all nations to work on a simple exit path for any country that chooses to leave?

Looking that way...

But, is it not now the responsibility of all nations to work on a simple exit path for any country that chooses to leave?

I would imagine some countries are more thinking of how they can best benefit from the divorce windfall, whilst at the same time ensuring that their subs dont have to go up too much to pick up the gap left by the UK subs shortfall.

Ever pragmatic.

Many might also be thinking that you can check out but never leave. Cos it must all last forever. Like all alliances in history.

Other might be thinking that its time for reform. If they dare.

Many probably are thinking for the greater good of all though. Which ones I wonder?

I would imagine some countries are more thinking of how they can best benefit from the divorce windfall, whilst at the same time ensuring that their subs dont have to go up too much to pick up the gap left by the UK subs shortfall.

Ever pragmatic.

Many might also be thinking that you can check out but never leave. Cos it must all last forever. Like all alliances in history.

Other might be thinking that its time for reform. If they dare.

Many probably are thinking for the greater good of all though. Which ones I wonder?
Some, meanwhile, will be thinking it must be made harder to leave.

I guess it would be such a low priority and met with much resistance from Juncker, Tusk, Barnier etc...

Not really....if that simple, the EU would have sent the Powerpoint chart with a note saying 'let us know'. A lot of wasted energy, both sides at fault.
Well, they kinda did, though, didn't they? This chart is their work, illustrating the consequences of those red lines. It appeared at least a couple of years ago.

It’s already pretty simple - negotiate an exit deal that both sides find acceptable, then put it to your parliament. If they reject it and you are unwilling to make compromises to get it passed, leave without a deal.

It’s already pretty simple - negotiate an exit deal that both sides find acceptable, then put it to your parliament. If they reject it and you are unwilling to make compromises to get it passed, leave without a deal.
Negotiations are not simple, and the higher the stakes the harder it gets.

Well, they kinda did, though, didn't they? This chart is their work, illustrating the consequences of those red lines. It appeared at least a couple of years ago.
And then followed 2 and a half years of 'negotiations'. Maybe these should not have taken place?

I didn’t say the negotiations (which happened in the pre-arranged timescale) were simple, but the agreed process.

Then, having agreed your deal with the EU, any hitches afterwards are your fault/problem.

No they're not, which is why someone with a proper understanding of how to negotiate should have been doing it rather than May (or Cameron at the start of this mess).

There are three massively basic rules of negotiation and even those they do not understand:

1) Have something to negotiate with
2) Set a minimum you are prepared to accept and be prepared to walk away if you don't get it.
3) If you are allowed to walk away you were never going to get it.

Just understanding this would have made May and Cameron's approach ten time more effective.

I didn’t say the negotiations (which happened in the pre-arranged timescale) were simple, but the agreed process.

Then, having agreed your deal with the EU, any hitches afterwards are your fault/problem.
Not really, the chart should have been there before the vote. There should have been no discussion after the vote.

The chart also needs more details, timelines, any special concessions etc.

No they're not, which is why someone with a proper understanding of how to negotiate should have been doing it rather than May (or Cameron at the start of this mess).

There are three massively basic rules of negotiation and even those they do not understand:

1) Have something to negotiate with
2) Set a minimum you are prepared to accept and be prepared to walk away if you don't get it.
3) If you are allowed to walk away you were never going to get it.

Just understanding this would have made May and Cameron's approach ten time more effective.
Us mere mortals live in your shadow, bigshot.:rolleyes:

Not really, the chart should have been there before the vote. There should have been no discussion after the vote.

I don't think the red lines emerged until after the vote. Actually, not until after the GE after the vote, IIRC. So, basically, the EU failed us by not having a time machine. Bastards!

Which chart? What vote? You have lost me now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back