advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+14)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brexit continues to be all about pacifying warring internal factions in the Tory party and absolutely nothing about the national interest. Labour continue to enable this right-wing farce just like the brain-dead lap-dog we all remember from Blair & GW Bush over Iraq. Both organisations deserve wiping from existence, they are entirely unfit for the purpose of government.

The only glimmer of hope is Labour’s useless gammon leadership have fallen in line reluctantly behind Cooper’s amendment with a three-line whip.

"Those EU ba*&stds won`t let us back in".
You saying once the prison camp guards has opened the cell door (and we taste freedom according to Andrew Bridgen), they’re not lettin us back in ?!!
It’s a total ****ing disgrace!!! What kind of ****ing prison camp do you call that?

I think today may well turn out to be the day when we can sound the 'no deal' klaxon.

BREAKING Brexit: Theresa May launches dramatic new battle with EU by vowing to RE-OPEN talks https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/breaking-brexit-theresa-launches-dramatic-13922112

Brexit was always about saving the Tory party and it's looking like the only way they can do it is to sacrifice the rest of us.

Bit late luv, you’ve had nearly three years and your chosen exit date is month after next. Gerroveritt.

Not at all. It is in the DNA of Germany due to what happened in the 1930s; and because today, as by far the richest country in the EU, the buck stops with them.
However within guidelines it is up to individual Governments.
The UK Austerity is Tory Austerity and was their mistake. Particularly as the UK is not in the Euro.
So too the imf... I agree about the European fabric being set by the collective memory of the war, but also the relative strengths of the unions in France and Germany especially

Where did I say that? I didn't saying anything about supporting Brexit either, my wife is from the EU and my kids dual nationals. I am saying that we need to face up to the populist arguments whatever we agree with, and by simply saying that the EU is the lesser of two evils is not the answer.

The populism derives from inequality and hopelessness. Clearly leaving the EU and becoming the 51st state of the US is not the answer - Labour should be pointing out the blindingly obvious that being in the EU has not caused Denmark, Sweden, Netherlands, Belgium, Germany and France's social welfare systems to collapse, and that the cause of that collapse is successive Tory governments, who first destroyed UK industry, and then gutted the education and welfare systems. Not once have I heard Corbyn place the blame where it truly lies.

The alternative is Tory Brexit, followed either by a further lurch to the right when Brexiters discover that Brexit leads to greater poverty, or a lurch to the far left, leading to capital flight.

Brexit continues to be all about pacifying warring internal factions in the Tory party and absolutely nothing about the national interest. Labour continue to enable this right-wing farce just like the brain-dead lap-dog we all remember from Blair & GW Bush over Iraq. Both organisations deserve wiping from existence, they are entirely unfit for the purpose of government.

The only glimmer of hope is Labour’s useless gammon leadership have fallen in line reluctantly behind Cooper’s amendment with a three-line whip.

Which was always the likely outcome despite some (entirely reasonable) reservations from some Labour MPs. However, it will be interesting to see how many Labour MPs defy the whip on this. The four or five hard-Brexit mentalists are a given, but how many like (e.g.) Caroline Flint will join them? I hope the number of rebels is < 20 and Cooper's amendment passes with the help of Soubry et. al.

Meanwhle here's a summary of the amendments so far:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/29/amendments-to-may-statement-brexit-bill

You'll note that the Labour front bench has tabled its own amendment:
A. Official Labour amendment
Tabled by Jeremy Corbyn and backed by a series of frontbenchers, this pushes the party policy of avoiding no deal and instead seeking a form of customs union.

Which, for some reason, misses out the reference to a public vote in Corbyn's amendment:

https://labour.org.uk/press/labour-...LbGH6GP5WcQad6wjOtVY0pKSMD58ZEOY2j2H1p4CkXWMw

Here is the actual wording of the amendment:
'and requires ministers to secure sufficient time for the UK Parliament to consider and vote on options to prevent the UK leaving the EU without a ratified Withdrawal Agreement and Political Declaration., and that those options should include:

i) negotiating changes to the draft Withdrawal Agreement and Political Declaration so as to secure a permanent customs union with the EU, a strong relationship with the single market underpinned by shared institutions and obligations, and dynamic alignment on rights and standards, in order to command a majority in the House of Commons

ii) legislating to hold a public vote on a deal or a proposition that has commanded the support of the majority of the House of Commons'

I wonder why The Guardian would do that?

The populism derives from inequality and hopelessness. Clearly leaving the EU and becoming the 51st state of the US is not the answer - Labour should be pointing out the blindingly obvious that being in the EU has not caused Denmark, Sweden, Netherlands, Belgium, Germany and France's social welfare systems to collapse, and that the cause of that collapse is successive Tory governments, who first destroyed UK industry, and then gutted the education and welfare systems. Not once have I heard Corbyn place the blame where it truly lies.

The alternative is Tory Brexit, followed either by a further lurch to the right when Brexiters discover that Brexit leads to greater poverty, or a lurch to the far left, leading to capital flight.
^This. There’s a possible by-election coming up in Peterborough if the sitting Labour MP goes to prison. What do you think the odds are that Tommy Robinson stands for Election?

Bollocks.
Same to you. It’s about making you and me pay for the banking collapse. Do you think any government would be allowed to start talking about the banks and large corporations paying back the money. Get real! Of course there’s wriggle room involved and of course the Tories and lib dems have made matters worse than they might have been, but honestly?

Labour and the Tories locked in a dance of death over Brexit. R4 WAO interviewed some old middle class Brexit voters outside Parliament who have a well organised deselection campaign if they don’t get away from “ political correctness and red tape of the EU”. Their choice of MP who’s doing their bidding? Labour MP Caroline Flint!

Sentenced to 3 months it would appear. Is that enough to force a by-election?

Not until she’s exhausted the appeal process so she may be overtaken by events if May calls a snap election.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ona-onasanya-jailed-for-lying-speeding-ticket
“Under laws introduced in 2015, any prison term, even a suspended sentence, leads to a recall petition, which will be open for six weeks and can force a byelection if signed by 10% of voters in a constituency.

Because Onasanya, 35, has appealed against her conviction, this may not happen for several months. The recall petition cannot be opened until the appeals process has concluded”.

May has capitulated to her hard Brexit MPs by agreeing to attempt to renegotiate the backstop away when the EU has said the negotiations are over. It’s all about the political survival of the party and their ongoing grotesque incompetence.

People, businesses, donors, lives, even countries, come and go. The party must survive. That will decide the policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back