advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+14)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue is more subtle I think with quite big differences between cities and surroundings, the nations, London etc. i.e. the 50-50 split is very uneven. These differences won't diminish until austerity is ended, social provision is greatly improved and the wealth of the country much more evenly spread - so that populist options are much less likely to hold sway. In this regard the EU is part of the problem...

How is any of this due to the EU? The fairest most socially responsible countries in the world are all in the EU.

These differences won't diminish until austerity is ended, social provision is greatly improved and the wealth of the country much more evenly spread - so that populist options are much less likely to hold sway. In this regard the EU is part of the problem...

i beg to most fervently place myself in opposition to these remarks. it is successive uk governments that are entirely to blame.

I’m unsure as to how social provision is going to improve under Brexit. All economic projections for Brexit show damage to the economy and I now think the forecasts will have to be revised. I will bet many of the investment suspensions will turn into disinvestment because that money is going to look far more productive inside the EU and not in a politically unstable satellite outside it. If we leave in March and place ourselves outside the CU and SM the budget that will follow is going to come as a shock to everyone, particularly the Brexit voters who were sold the glorious vision.

There is no ‘rule’ for a one line whip

Corbyn should have made sure MPs voted. It’s almost like he’s helping the Conservatives out.

Ah, the days when the opposition opposed rather than colluded.

Stephen

Here's a quote from The Guardian article.

"The Liberal Democrat home affairs spokesman, Ed Davey, accused Labour of missing a potential opportunity to defeat the government, pointing out that two Conservative MPs, Anna Soubry and Ken Clarke, had rebelled.

“It is beyond belief that some Tory MPs were more organised on opposing the government’s hostile immigration policies than the Labour shadow cabinet,” he said."

Some Labour MPs obviously like bowing down to racist fkvcwits.

Jack

How is any of this due to the EU? The fairest most socially responsible countries in the world are all in the EU.

That's an essay in itself, but I think it's fairly widely accepted that it needs to reform. The debate is around whether it is capable of being reformed from within or not.

Oh and if you think a possible Labour government can outrun the damage from Brexit to its public spending plans simply by dramatically raising taxes......

Wait till we get a taste of Britannia Unchained, the North Sea economic miracle. Like Osborne’s Austerity but with no NHS and workplace rights.

The other day I saw a report from an economic think tank on Sky. They said if we leave with No Deal our wages will go down by 8% and property values by 30%

Together with today's letter from many major retailers, who predict there will be No Deal food shortages, it makes for grim reading.

On the cheery side, the Labour Shadow Cabinet are meeting right now to decide whether to back Yvette Cooper's amendment to take No Deal off the table.

If they don't support the amendment, it will be a very dark day in British politics.

Jack

Last edited:
How then is most of Northern Europe fairer and with better social health and education than the UK? I cannot believe you have fallen for the lie that the lamentable state of the UK is the fault of the EU. I wonder what the excuse will be in 2029?

Where did I say that? I didn't saying anything about supporting Brexit either, my wife is from the EU and my kids dual nationals. I am saying that we need to face up to the populist arguments whatever we agree with, and by simply saying that the EU is the lesser of two evils is not the answer.

How then is most of Northern Europe fairer and with better social health and education than the UK? I cannot believe you have fallen for the lie that the lamentable state of the UK is the fault of the EU. I wonder what the excuse will be in 2029?

"Those EU ba*&stds won`t let us back in".

I am continuing to find Labour's lack of a stated position a real concern. At any other time, with any other leadership, the Labour party could have stopped this lunacy but at the moment they are enabling it.

While I accept that the referendum did give a Leave result I really see that as an indication that a slight majority of the electorate were in favour for leave "in principle". I don't see that as quite the same as them being in favour of leave at any cost - and the only way to answer that would be for another referendum once we know the options.

I am continuing to find Labour's lack of a stated position a real concern. At any other time, with any other leadership, the Labour party could have stopped this lunacy but at the moment they are enabling it.

While I accept that the referendum did give a Leave result I really see that as an indication that a slight majority of the electorate were in favour for leave "in principle". I don't see that as quite the same as them being in favour of leave at any cost - and the only way to answer that would be for another referendum once we know the options.

And this time UK Citizens in the EU must not be disenfranchised.

Boom. A big boom, if true. And this Brexitgraph bloke is very reliable for Tory stuff.

"Steven Swinford‏Verified account @Steven_Swinford
A big moment:
Theresa May *finally* picks a side as she accepts demands by Tory Eurosceptics to go back to Brussels and renegotiate her deal so she can secure changes to customs backstop."
12:28 PM - 29 Jan 2019

It looks to me as if in trying to save themselves, the Tories will destroy the country. Probably literally, as the UK may well break up.

So this horrid bill gets through the first stage, that doesn't make it law.

Will this type of legislation make the EU more, or less inclined to help Treeza over the NI border? Labour are not in power and have to tread very carefully but this could be part of getting the ducks in a row.
Make it too obvious and the meejah, including SDP champagne Grauniad journalists will be all over it. The wealthy will do anything to continue shafting the many.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back