advertisement

Obsession to the nth degree

But I think anyone can become obsessed, even well-balanced people. Remember that time Captain Kirk became obsessed with a gaseous red corpuscle sucking gas cloud?
Yeah, who could forget the old gaseous red corpuscle sucking gas cloud? That was a close call right enough.

Mr Pig,

Certainly not me, but I will admit to being a bit obsessed with matters Trekky.

As for the topic of the thread, it is a cautionary tale, not just the perils of spiralling too far down a rabbit hole in the pursuit of something, but also how what you value dearly may be worth little to others to which it often falls once you die.

I knew a guy who bought the entire Star Trek: Next Generation series on VHS. He couldn’t give them away some years later. (That’s actually not me pretending to be a fictitious guy in some story.)

Joe

I once sold a record player to a guy in Lisbon who had several vintage receivers under his matrimonial bed, plus a dozen or so other tuners and cassette decks in his bedroom, a few tens of boxes in the living room, several turntables and at least 5 pairs of speakers.
I pity his wife and his daughter, who for some reason decided to move abroad for her undergrad degree...

I have more equipment than that, but it’s restricted to the man cave, the loft and my workshop (although there is some B&O under the spare room bed!).

I’d hate for it to take over the house, and I am totally confident that Mrs. B would put stop to it long before that happened!

I like rooms full of people’s hobbies and interests. Nothing more dull and arguably moronic than the estate-agent-friendly empty rooms one sees in lifestyle magazines. Interesting people have interesting rooms full of interesting things; art, books, musical instruments, audio kit, Lego, vintage computers, pets or whatever. Empty space is staggerinly uninteresting.

Empty space is staggerinly uninteresting.
I mostly agree with you there Tony. But I also adore the simplicity and space of traditional Japanese tatami rooms.

2007_02.jpg

I like rooms full of people’s hobbies and interests. Nothing more dull and arguably moronic than the estate-agent-friendly empty rooms one sees in lifestyle magazines. Interesting people have interesting rooms full of interesting things; art, books, musical instruments, audio kit, Lego, vintage computers, pets or whatever. Empty space is staggerinly uninteresting.

I would love to have in-wall speakers and all the gear out of sight, except perhaps for a nice-looking turntable.
We didn't even have a TV until our kids were old enough to watch it and my dad gave them one...
I don't like rooms that are too full, and empty rooms usually have poor acoustics so I wouldn't want that either unless I had a yoga and meditation room or something and it would have to be excellent architecture, not the usual small and boring sitting room.
Books, plants and memorabilia from our travels and ancestors I like, but not too much that it clutters the space.
I haven't had a furry pet since I was a kid, only a few fish, again for the kids.

Last edited:
there was a reel to reel there she said clearly was not for sale at any cost as her husband was to be buried and he had requested that the reel to reel was to be buried with him.
That sounds very uncomfortable...and up there with people who stuff their loved pets when they die.

That sounds very uncomfortable...and up there with people who stuff their loved pets when they die.
I can understand stuffing a cat at least you could still give it a kick if in a bad mood LOL , but yeah nothing more creepy than a stuffed animal.

So, for most, our niche is futile, old hat etc. But this guy is too niche. And then somebody here will tell us the £3k Rega P10 sounds 'too hard' or something. lol.

advertisement

Back