advertisement

Obsession to the nth degree

I saw the YT video once, it's very, very audiophile. Have an idea what you think works and then go OTT. He said he had to chose the right drivers as there would be no do-over - seems there was no prototyping and no development just cherry picking components.

Thanks for posting the link Theo
I have seen that video before and knew the story about the system and how it evolved.
So sad how it all ended in the superb article in the link
Heartbreaking the sale of the equipment for peanuts and all the records after his death.
His deterioration not even being able to take a record out of its sleeve

I don't think this has much to do with hi-fi. A mentally unbalanced person can become obsessed by anything. Cars, teddy bears, tea cups, it doesn't matter. The hi-fi is not the point. It's a symptom not the disease and by celebrating it as if he's achieved something of worth you're only helping him stay trapped in his miserable life.

Guy was out of whack. It's not sad that his equipment was sold for peanuts as it was never worth what he paid for it. A well person would have seen that.

I don't think this has much to do with hi-fi. A mentally unbalanced person can become obsessed by anything. Cars, teddy bears, tea cups, it doesn't matter. The hi-fi is not the point. It's a symptom not the disease and by celebrating it as if he's achieved something of worth you're only helping him stay trapped in his miserable life.

Guy was out of whack. It's not sad that his equipment was sold for peanuts as it was never worth what he paid for it. A well person would have seen that.

Harsh!

Did you watch the vid?
I only flicked through it but he seemed happy enough. He said he had enjoyed the journey, perhaps more than the destination. He thought he'd spent his time better than watching football ( I assume the one where they run about bumping into each other, for 5% of the time) and drinking beer.

I hope you don't volunteer for the Samaritans.

Sad tale on several levels. There's a bit of Moby Dick and a hint of (Suburban) Citizen Kane here.

I once sold a record player to a guy in Lisbon who had several vintage receivers under his matrimonial bed, plus a dozen or so other tuners and cassette decks in his bedroom, a few tens of boxes in the living room, several turntables and at least 5 pairs of speakers.
I pity his wife and his daughter, who for some reason decided to move abroad for her undergrad degree...

I thought he might have had a good system, but the writer summed it up as:-
"was it "wow" or merely loud"

Obsession? or Addiction? Is there a difference? Or is it just a matter of degree?

There are a multitude of addictions aflicting humans. Some are more (self) destructive than others. Obviously any that impact spending, are often amongst the most widely destructive (potentially).

I have O-CD tendencies so I could see myself going down the path of audio obsession toward perfection. But luckily — or unlucky — I’m not flush enough for that to happen.

But I think anyone can become obsessed, even well-balanced people. Remember that time Captain Kirk became obsessed with a gaseous red corpuscle sucking gas cloud?

He almost lost everything — his ship, Mr Spock, his life. But it all worked out nicely within about 50 minutes.

Joe

advertisement

Back