advertisement

Notts Analogue w/ Ittok

murphydog

Canine member
I’m thinking of buying a Notts Analogue tt as a solution to my ongoing suspended floor issues. Most of my budget will go on the turntable so I would need to pair it with the Ittok on my LP12 at least initially.
Do any fishers have experience of this combination?

Reactions: koi
I can report that the SL1200G is excellent on a suspended floor, I have a really bouncy floor in my listening room and it takes deliberate stamping to get any skipping.

Living room. It’s a special dispensation whilst my eldest daughter and her two sons are living with us.I’m hoping that the arrangement might become permanent but that involves minimal disruption.

Bear in mind that the arm-board needs to be cut to accommodate the Tiktok and you may need another if you change arms; certainly if you go 12". They're not expensive comparatively, though. Even a N.A. deck needs careful placing with suspended floors, though is far less susceptible than suspended jobbies.

Nottingham Analogue turntables work extremely well with there own tonearms and are extremely well priced.

The only solution to a ‘jumpy’ suspended floor is a wall shelf* or a suspended turntable with a sufficiently high suspended mass and low suspension resonant frequency (ie no UK turntables I can think of). High mass non-suspended turntables definitely do not qualify!

* Said wall shelf must be attached to a load bearing wall and don’t be fooled into thinking that guarantees total isolation - but at least it should isolate from footfall problems.

Last edited:
The most obvious acoustic feedback I ever heard was from a NA turntable that was sited on a light weight table on a suspended floor. Every time the subwoofer sounded the speakers went into full feedback oscillation and would have done serious damage to the speakers if not turned down. Now this story is not intended as a specific criticism of NA (in particular) turntables, but it is a critical story with regard to non-suspended decks, in general, and their supports.

Reactions: GT
note, I’m not saying any suspended deck will be better - it may well be worse in some ways (though probably not acoustic feedback - more footfall shock).

One more time... The accepted abbreviation of Nottingham, is Nottm. 'Notts' is the accepted abbreviation for Nottinghamshire.. Therefore, the abbreviation of Nottingham Analogue is.. Nottm Analogue.

Thank you.

@Mullardman -- your previous posts on this matter have educated me. I'm an American, but the first thing I thought when seeing the title of this thread was: "hmm, don't think the abbreviation of 'Nottingham' is quite right..."

One more time... The accepted abbreviation of Nottingham, is Nottm. 'Notts' is the accepted abbreviation for Nottinghamshire.. Therefore, the abbreviation of Nottingham Analogue is.. Nottm Analogue.

Gosh, Mull; this is a bee in your bonnet. I'm not refuting it, but to be totally accurate it would have to have an apostrophe of omission. Nottm might be painted on roads and signs but doesn't indicate accuracy of abbreviation. Nott'm Analogue would therefore be accurate, though Notts Analogue is clearly not (sorry, 'notts' :)).

Off the pedantic bandwagon, I have my Dais on a heavy duty Target tripod table (on spikes) though I've put an oversized 18mm ply top on it. It is, though, on concrete. However, a suspended floor doesn't necessarily equate to a problem, esp. if that part of the floor is effectively separate to that part walked on. Acoustic feedback, as Mark mentioned (subs) is a different matter and careful kit placement would obviate this.

It would need one heck of a wall shelf for my Dais (or T.W. Acoustic AC or whatever), although lesser N.A. decks might be able to be accommodated. The problem with wall shelves is that you can't get behind them, so access for I'Cs or maintenance eytc. is a p.i.t.a. I had 7 of them for my Naim stuff and, as age took its toll, gave up and built a 'peninsular' shelving unit so I can access everything from behind. The deck, though, is separate, as aforesaid.

Erm.. Wall shelf!?

+1

Irregardless of TT design a wall shelf is the most straightforward solution when it comes to eliminating suspended floor issues. When it comes to using a high mass TT on a wall shelf it would require suitable fixings and of course a suitable wall. A friend of mine did have a Basis Ovation (70lb/32kg) on one of the large Target wall shelves.

advertisement

Back