advertisement

Notts Analogue w/ Ittok

Wall mount every time for turntables, for me. I remember the days of flats with dodgy floors ... jump and a skip when you walked across the room.

Tim

Gosh, Mull; this is a bee in your bonnet. I'm not refuting it, but to be totally accurate it would have to have an apostrophe of omission. Nottm might be painted on roads and signs but doesn't indicate accuracy of abbreviation. Nott'm Analogue would therefore be accurate, though Notts Analogue is clearly not (sorry, 'notts' :)).

Mike, I'd describe it as something which causes 'faux' horror and indignation on my part. I like to see it done correctly, but I don't lose any sleep over it and doubt I'd get into a fist fight. I agree that it's probably gramatically correct to include an apostrophe... but the convention is not to. This applies also to Berkshire, 'Berks', Lancashire 'Lancs', Yorkshire 'Yorks' etc. Quite where Salop and Oxon fit in gramatically beats me... :). I've also sometimes wondered why Durham (alone I think ,in England) adopts the 'Irish' convention of placing 'County' in front of the County Town name, to create County Durham.. rather than 'Durhamshire' ( Abbreviation 'Durhams' :D) And of course as well as currently remaining the only county with no MacDonalds.. Rutland has no county town called anything like Rutland.. being ruled from Oakham.

I'm seriously considering putting my Orbe on top of a decent rack, such as one of the more recent Atacamas, probably with an isolation shelf of some sort. I've been using a Target type for decades, but I really don't think it makes much difference as I have solid floors in a quiet residential street with no through traffic. In fact, given that the wall in question is load bearing, but only of single breeze block constuction, it could well be less suitable than the floor.

I’m thinking of buying a Notts Analogue tt as a solution to my ongoing suspended floor issues. Most of my budget will go on the turntable so I would need to pair it with the Ittok on my LP12 at least initially.
Do any fishers have experience of this combination?

My advice is to buy a turntable with proper suspension to avoid any acoustic feedback, especially if you use a full-range loudspeaker.

I'm seriously considering putting my Orbe on top of a decent rack, such as one of the more recent Atacamas, probably with an isolation shelf of some sort. I've been using a Target type for decades, but I really don't think it makes much difference as I have solid floors in a quiet residential street with no through traffic. In fact, given that the wall in question is load bearing, but only of single breeze block constuction, it could well be less suitable than the floor.

My brother used a Quadraspire wall shelf with his Orbe, a worthwhile improvement over a previous target rack, Lateral Audio Stands make some nice equipment stands

Yep.. that's why I said 'currently'. I think it's a pity as it could open the way for KFC and the rest of the boring purveyors of American style shite.

Indeed you did sir :)

+1 on the pity front. Since going to DismalWorld in Florida in 1991 and seeing all the out of town drive-in shite-peddling joints I've watched the UK slowly follow suit.

Even sadder was seeing the queues outside McD's in Bangkok when one opened a few years later.

And of course as well as currently remaining the only county with no MacDonalds.. Rutland has no county town called anything like Rutland.. being ruled from Oakham.

As Deebster says, in effect, that the council have passed the resolution to allow McDonald's, so a claim to fame is no more.

Re. your county abbreviations, this was not (!) the issue, as Nottinghamshire is indeed Notts, but it was the Nottm I questioned. That's not a kosher abbreviation i.m.o., although presumably used.

Even sadder was seeing the queues outside McD's in Bangkok when one opened a few years later.

I had my first McDonald's in K.L. in, I think, very late 70s/very early 80s.

No solid deck without proper suspension will be immune to any external forces!

I don't expect suspension in a mass deck !:). As for footfall, it depends upon the floor material

My advice is to buy a turntable with proper suspension to avoid any acoustic feedback,

Probably got my knickers in a twist here, but I thought the o.p.'s problem/enquiry was re. footfall on a suspended floor. Acoustic feedback is a separate issue. Having said that, I can't see how the format of the deck affects acoustic feedback; isn't this a product of arm and cart ?

Probably got my knickers in a twist here, but I thought the o.p.'s problem/enquiry was re. footfall on a suspended floor. Acoustic feedback is a separate issue. Having said that, I can't see how the format of the deck affects acoustic feedback; isn't this a product of arm and cart ?

It's the same issue Mike. Proper turntable suspension will isolate footfall and prevent acoustic feedback.

Unless the turntable has a suspension system tuned to isolate frequencies above 3Hz then all other frequencies (> 3Hz) can pass straight into the turntable, through it, and into the tonearm and cartridge, causing your acoustic feedback loop.

Last edited:
It's the same issue Mike. Proper turntable suspension will isolate footfall and acoustic feedback.

The bit I don't get is that mass decks, as you know, don't have a suspension as we know it. Also, acoustic feedback comes, I've thought, from the vinyl front end being somewhere in the sound transmission path of (bass) speakers (i.e., a different set of circumstances in my book) I must admit, though, that I can't remember EVER experiencing acoustic feedback, despite always (since 1965) having large speakers with, in earlier days, 12" or 15" woofers. Mind you, they've been in decent sized rooms, by and large.

No solid deck without proper suspension will be immune to any external forces!

No deck is totally immune to external forces ! There are different ways to manage energy absorption and travel through structures and each one will have a set of compromises that need to be managed through good design.

Nottingham Analogue decks have a well judged approach to managing this through a careful choice of materials.

Which turntables address these issues successfully in your opinion?

Any turntable with proper suspension.

Alternatively, place the solid turntable on an acoustic isolation platform like this one from Townshend Audio:

Take particular notice of the 4-metre test.

No deck is totally immune to external forces ! There are different ways to manage energy absorption and travel through structures and each one will have a set of compromises that need to be managed through good design.

Nottingham Analogue decks have a well judged approach to managing this through a careful choice of materials.

Any solid materials used in the manufacture of a turntable will not prevent the transmission of vibration into the design. To reduce this to acceptable levels you need an acoustic filter capable of isolating at frequencies greater than 3Hz.

Last edited:
Any solid materials used in the manufacture of a turntable will not prevent the transmission of vibration into the design. To reduce this to acceptable levels you need an acoustic filter capable of isolating at frequencies great then 3Hz.

Prevention is a very absolute word in engineering. I make my living in helping to create structures in automotive and Aerospace, most often it is a case of careful management of vibrational energy which can take several different forms. With sound wave pressure via air or physically conducted energy, absorption / isolation strategies such as springs, viscoelastic elastomers, isolating layers, use of vacuums etc - all introduce other compromises.

Prevention is a very absolute word in engineering. I make my living in helping to create structures in automotive and Aerospace, most often it is a case of careful management of vibrational energy which can take several different forms. With sound wave pressure via air or physically conducted energy, absorption / isolation strategies such as springs, viscoelastic elastomers, isolating layers, use of vacuums etc - all introduce other compromises.

This is true, but you have to consider the minute movement of the stylus in the groove and the influence ground-borne and seismic activity can have on the cartridge trying to produce a clean signal. Therefore it is so important to try to isolate the turntable from such vibrations. If you look at the video above you will see what I mean. If these vibrations are not isolated from the turntable then distortion will occur as the unwanted vibration will modulate with the signal.

This is true, but you have to consider the minute movement of the stylus in the groove and the influence ground-borne and seismic activity can have on the cartridge trying to produce a clean signal. Therefore it is so important to try to isolate the turntable from such vibrations. If you look at the video above you will see what I mean. If these vibrations are not isolated from the turntable then distortion will occur as the unwanted vibration will modulate with the signal.

While holistically what you are saying makes sense, in the practical real world this is far too simplistic a view.

Apologies to the OP, please enjoy your deck. Rest assured it has been designed from a practical real world understanding of the influence different materials have in relation to managing vibrational energy - oh and they sound great as well !

advertisement

Back