advertisement

Nottingham Analogue Dais

Just so long as it doesn't sit for long periods, stationary - eventually one of the windings will burn out.
Good point; also the belt where it is rubbing against the pulley. B.t.w., in your previous post, you mentioned 'crepe' twice. I've no idea what this is (apart from the folded paper or pancake thingy)

I use a record clamp on my Dais and suppose things would get a bit more complicated taking a record off while spinning
I have no problem stopping & starting the Dais it would be interesting to find out from makers Nottingham Analogue what they think.

I use a record clamp on my Dais and suppose things would get a bit more complicated taking a record off while spinning
I have no problem stopping & starting the Dais it would be interesting to find out from makers Nottingham Analogue what they think.
Me too. I also use a weight/clamp, I also stop the turntable when changing the LP.
The only time I've noticed any speed fluctuation is when I haven't quite got the rotation fast enough, the motor isn't able to get up to speed, I've never noticed it going too fast, so I'm presuming it slows down quickly to the correct speed.

I should change my habits.

Very, VERY wise - when stationary one or other winding will be taking a relatively huge current as the lack of movement will mean that there is far less back EMF, so the impedence effectively drops quite a bit (there are other unwanted effects too).

Indeed it would. I s'pose adding extra weight of a clamp to the 20 kgs (+/-?) wouldn't affect things too much, but must, surely, affect speed. Ideally, with the speed calibration disc (strobe) and i/r lamp, achieving the correct rpm should be with cart. in contact (i.e., playing). As there is a discernible
difference necessitating altering the Wave Mechanic control between cart. and no cart., I'd think a clamp would also affect speed.
Yes, but I can guess that Penny or Adam would hedge their bets (i.e. consistency versus stop/start wear etc.)
That's interesting, my Dais is "on" when I'm listening to CD's, sometimes for hours.
Surely must improve CD s.q. ! Especially if you can get synergistic spinning integrity. šŸ˜
I should change my habits.
I wouldn't bother unless you're female and living under holy orders. :)

The Wave Mechanic dictates (or should do) the speed consistency and really shouldn't drift once correct RPM is calibrated by you. I'm lucky inasmuch as having 2 arms, I can calibrate with record playing whilst using the other headshell over the disc markings to get that stationary strobe effect.

If anyone using a vacum-cleaner or lathe, or drill, suddenly had the motor jam/stop, they'd move PDQ to switch the power off or rush to get it moving again.

I am unsure why doing the same to to a TT motor elicits a different response. The result will ultimately be the same - the motor burns out at some stage.

I am unsure why doing the same to to a TT motor elicits a different response. The result will ultimately be the same - the motor burns out at some stage.
So am I. Vinny, though I don't think it makes a lot of difference to a very low-torque motor. Just a case of does the motor (and power supply !!!!!) wear more from switching on/off or by consistently running. I'm not technically knowledgeable enough to answer that, but would suspect that consistency would win where the two interlinked items were concerned. Interesting take on this diverse usage theme, I feel.

One person here burnt their NAS motor out by leaving it stationary, admittedly 24/7.

The wear on an oil-immersed, very slowly rotating part will be next to zero. I cannot cenceive of any deleterious effect on stopping and starting such when the rotation has to be started by hand anyway. So far as speed repeatability is concerned, that is linked to mains frequency and design.

As to the Wave Mechanic - a stationary motor will present a very different load to one that is moving. It would be beyond me even if I knew the innards of the WM, but I doubt that that would be wise either.

advertisement

Back