advertisement

Nottingham Analogue Dais

it is to sit on top of the platter....it is not a box cover. You can see the spindle hole marked on the plan.
Exactly, I told before it was a Rega Style Dust Cover...
It is to sit on top of the platter because I don't have any space for a Box on my Mana Acoustics Rack

What are the best 12" gimbal tonearms for the Dais on the market ?

SME doesn't sell only the tonearms alone anymore...

SME sell the M2-12 and the M2-12R , the R model having higher effective mass
There's also, Glanz, Sorane, Schick and Groovemaster, all med-high effective mass tonearms.

From all this tonearms what would be the best for a Lyra Etna Lambda SL on my Dais ?

There's also the Thales tonearms (that are not 12", but they don't need to be).
And also the NA Ace Anna 12" (the one I already have on my Dais).

From all this tonearms what would be the best for a Lyra Etna Lambda SL on my Dais ?

There's also the Thales tonearms (that are not 12", but they don't need to be).
And also the NA Ace Anna 12" (the one I already have on my Dais).

I've no idea which would be best for a Lyra Etna, most of the tonearms listed above are fairly high mass, you could also consider a Brinkmann 12.1.

What are the best 12" gimbal tonearms for the Dais on the market ?
F.w.i.w., mine is a chrome 12" PU7 from Audio Origami. Almost certainly the best tonearm I've had, at least from a tactile/practical p.o.v. * I think any good tonearm would do the trick but also important to match eff. mass and cart, match

* The arm clip is a dream; lift, return and secure in one fluid movement. Important to me at least.

Lyras are noted to be synergistic with N. A. arms Also, Lyras are not fussy about mass and work well from around 11g to 15g. I only say that because I've had two Lyras on an SME Five (11g) in the past.

It worked,
and is ready for a second tonearm :

20240701-172358.jpg

20240701-172449.jpg

Nicely designed, @Jorge Peres and I'm pleased it's stable so you got the balance right. I hadn't a clue what a Rega type cover was and didn't realise it was a sit-on type.

Stable door and horse bolted, of course, but I wonder if you'd thought of widening the top of your table to give a useful perimeter for those odd but necessary bits one always needs (Allen keys, brushes etc.). It would also allow a complete over cover too, though this would, as I've found, be a lot heavier (and fragile?) and therefore a potential accident waiting to happen.

Leave your Lyra on the A.A. and think about which cart. would create a good alternative to the Lyra. Koetsu, of course, but now no more. Miyajima? Needs heavy arm. Swapping cart's around if you're into that can be fun (but I'm now too old for that). I've found that one cart. is really all I need but I'm determined to get my K. Vermillion out of its drawer now my main cart. is starting its second thousand hours, just to hear what I used to love about it.

I already have an alternative to the Lyra Etna Lambda SL (I still want the Lyra, but don't have the money for that right now).

The Lyra have a very low Internal impedance (1.52 ohm self impedance) and it's the ideal to connect to my Step Up Transformer MC input,
I wanted another cartridge with higher impedance to connect to the other MC input that I have on my Octave Phono module.
And I got the Shelter Harmony (Impedance: 15 ohm), here it is :

20240701-215253.jpg

My Ace Anna 12" will work very well with both the Lyra and the Shelter (tonearm-cartridge resonance of 10Hz with both cartridges).

I still have an old Dynavector XX2 Mk1 that is still working (but after 21 years a new cartridge was needed).

Yep,
it's a very good sounding phonostage.

And you can choose the modules that you want.
I have the 2 MC input modules on it, and also a Line input module (for my tuner).

With also a variable volume output,
it's connected directly to my ATC active speakers, I don't need any more amps...

The Lyra has a very low Internal impedance (1.52 ohm
Yes, that's low but my Transfig. Proteus has an internal impedance of 1 ohm. It still manages an output of 0.2 mV @ 3.54 cms/sec *=(which translates to 0.29 @ the European standard of 5 cms/sec. Don't know how they did it as lower impedance = fewer windings= lower output as a generalisation. Still loads my E.A.R. valved on-board stages perfectly well. I note that your step-up (phono stage?) is valved and unusual inasmuch as it has a line level input (for your tuner)

Reactions: koi
12 inch Moerch DP8 would be my choice although it’s classed as a unipivot

Excellent choice, I used the DP6 with my Dais and had (still have) the red and blue armwands. Mines the Silver Shadow version, looks cool in shiny black. Think "Dual Pivot" rather than unipivot hence DP?

Reactions: koi
Yes, that's low but my Transfig. Proteus has an internal impedance of 1 ohm. It still manages an output of 0.2 mV @ 3.54 cms/sec *=(which translates to 0.29 @ the European standard of 5 cms/sec. Don't know how they did it as lower impedance = fewer windings= lower output as a generalisation. Still loads my E.A.R. valved on-board stages perfectly well. I note that your step-up (phono stage?) is valved and unusual inasmuch as it has a line level input (for your tuner)

Yes fewer windings, the Lyra Etna Lambda SL (SL stands for Single Layer).

The Octave Phono Module is a Phono Stage that can be transformed to a full Pre-Amp (with the Line Input module and the Variable Output module, and that's what I have to connect directly to my Active ATC Speakers).
On the main unit there's the RIIA section (the area with the 3 valves), this alone is like an MM phono stage,
and then I have the normal transistors MC Input module that gives an extra amplification that the main RIIA (MM) needs,
and I also have the other MC Input module (Step Up transformer) that also gives the extra amplification that the main RIIA (MM) needs,
Hope you understand better now Mike...

advertisement

Back