advertisement

Nottingham Analogue Dais vs. TW Acoustics Raven One?

Mike Reed

pfm Member
The above two decks are in the running for my pending upgrade.

Both are within a similar price band and both are fairly high mass, unsuspended decks. I want a sea change from suspended and a sonic boost as well (from Orbe/Five)

The N. A. has the (to me) advantage of being English, but it is down to sound quality and presentation, really. I don't like the look of the more expensive N.A.(on a log or something!) and the Raven A.C. is close to five figures.

Any thoughts on these, chaps? I shall probably use a Phantom with it, but the SME V12 is possible, as is the new A.C.Ac. 10.5 arm (if I go for a Raven). Maybe there are others at that level.

Others at the Raven AC level include the Pioneer Exclusive P3 and P3a for c£4k and the EMT 950 for c£2k.

Sorry, but these are not at the level of the AC and by a long shot. The AC is above the SME 30 and very close to the Continuum. Some have preferred it over the latter.

Mike, if you can wait till early in the new year I will probably have the new Fletcher Audio Omega Point 5 turntable here which is Tom Fletcher's last design and supposed to be better than anything he has done before. Obviously I can't confirm this until I hear it for myself.

Also early next year will be the new Raven Ltd. This will come with the TW10.5 already fitted and has been designed to work together. As a pair it will be slightly more than the Raven AC + the TW10.5 but should be a very interesting turntable.

"RAVEN AC all the way" ... qualify that statement as I doubt you have audiotioned both in exactly the same system or location.

"RAVEN AC all the way" ... qualify that statement as I doubt you have audiotioned both in exactly the same system or location.

Never even heard a Notts TT and only heard the AC quite briefly but it doesn't matter because I like the Raven and want it to be the best and it therefore is the best. I will probably own one at some point as well and when I do it will be even better than the best. Is that actually possible or just bad english ? :)

Fair does .. you're probably right !

The only thing I'd say from the POV of the casual observer though is that the web seems to be overbrimming with fab comments and reports on the Raven, whether that be UK, european or US reviews, people who have dem'd or actual owners. There was even a thread on the naim forum waxing lyrical over an AC/ARO combination and that's saying something. The forums seem chock full of people who have migrated from such lofty heights as the SME30 (not the 20 I hasten to add), TMS, Orbe, VPI, LP12 etc.. and are not looking back for a split second. On the other hand I don't ever see much mentioned about the Dais.

It's difficult to call at these rareified levels. At the recent TT bakeoff I turned up with my low-rent Garrard 401/notts/DL110 in a couple of Ikea chopping bords. Also present was a Lenco with a new bearing and a DIY plinth running that well known fottballer-budget cartridge, the Denon 103, all dazzling £100 worth of it. They came out OK. IIRC mine was scored 2nd on the day and it was being listened to alongside all sorts of exotica. I think my deck stands me at, erm, about £200. Now I'm not telling you mine was the 2nd best TT on the day but it does reflect that they weren't oceans apart and both mine and the Lenco weren't disgraced, in spite of costing about the same as a Rega P3 or a 1980s mid spec LP12. So it's not about budget. If it were then the WTA would be nowhere but guess what, we were all sayiong "you know, that's not bad" on the day. I think the only way you will know whether a TW Raven betters a NA Dais TO YOUR EARS is to compare them back to back. After all you'd be pretty brassed off if you laid out £££ and then I pitched up with my chopping boards and £100 of cart and you preferred it.

Sorry, but these are not at the level of the AC and by a long shot. The AC is above the SME 30 and very close to the Continuum. Some have preferred it over the latter.

Mike, if you can wait till early in the new year I will probably have the new Fletcher Audio Omega Point 5 turntable here which is Tom Fletcher's last design and supposed to be better than anything he has done before. Obviously I can't confirm this until I hear it for myself.

Also early next year will be the new Raven Ltd. This will come with the TW10.5 already fitted and has been designed to work together. As a pair it will be slightly more than the Raven AC + the TW10.5 but should be a very interesting turntable.

I would also recommend you take a listen to the Fletcher Audio Omega .5, it replaced my NAS 294 heavy & is far better. I also preferred it to the Dais, which i'v had in my system. I also tried it side by side with an Orb & it blew that away, note in the same league IMHO, the Orb is a lot cheaper though.
Simon.

I would also recommend you take a listen to the Fletcher Audio Omega .5, it replaced my NAS 294 heavy & is far better. I also preferred it to the Dais, which i'v had in my system. I also tried it side by side with an Orb & it blew that away, note in the same league IMHO, the Orb is a lot cheaper though.
Simon.

I am very much looking forward to getting one here Simon.

It's difficult to call at these rareified levels. At the recent TT bakeoff I turned up with my low-rent Garrard 401/notts/DL110 in a couple of Ikea chopping bords. Also present was a Lenco with a new bearing and a DIY plinth running that well known fottballer-budget cartridge, the Denon 103, all dazzling £100 worth of it. They came out OK. IIRC mine was scored 2nd on the day and it was being listened to alongside all sorts of exotica. I think my deck stands me at, erm, about £200. Now I'm not telling you mine was the 2nd best TT on the day but it does reflect that they weren't oceans apart and both mine and the Lenco weren't disgraced, in spite of costing about the same as a Rega P3 or a 1980s mid spec LP12. So it's not about budget. If it were then the WTA would be nowhere but guess what, we were all sayiong "you know, that's not bad" on the day. I think the only way you will know whether a TW Raven betters a NA Dais TO YOUR EARS is to compare them back to back. After all you'd be pretty brassed off if you laid out £££ and then I pitched up with my chopping boards and £100 of cart and you preferred it.

As I keep saying to people - it is all about standards and what standards people are used too. If you have a system where £200 worth of DIY turntable does not sound a lot different from other turntable exotica like a Raven AC then there is something seriously wrong.
Note: I also know there is a lot of high end rubbish about which doesn't deliver so I can sympathise with your statement.

Most customers who would buy a Raven AC (or a turntable of this quality) generally have a system of total worth of £40K to £60K maybe even more. Customers like this are not going to want to use a £200 DIY turntable in their system unless financial reasons dictate this. Pride of ownership is very high on their list. Build quality and appearance is also very high on their list.

Note: I did the Garrard thing 25 years ago so I know how good Garrards are. I also still own a 301 and 401 myself, next year I will have my 401 on demo for sure, along with a Reed 3Q. :)

Really you need to hear these turntables in your own system, ideally with at least the same cartridge,a dealer should be willing to demonstrate in your own home.
Keith.

Never even heard a Notts TT and only heard the AC quite briefly but it doesn't matter because I like the Raven and want it to be the best and it therefore is the best. I will probably own one at some point as well and when I do it will be even better than the best. Is that actually possible or just bad english ? :)

Well, I have heard both.............

advertisement

Back