advertisement

North West Audio Show 2024

Dave, your stance is illogical. Is an electric guitar or electric violin a "real instrument" if not and the problem is their amplification, as you appear to suggest, then pretty much every single hifi system in existence is therefore invalid due to the amplification element. And if that is the case, why are you selling them.
I was talking about using electronic music as a benchmark for assessing sound quality, where the listener has no basis for comparing it to anything real. People know what a piano sounds like. Amplified instruments have a broad range in how they can sound, but people can still pick out a Les Paul or a Gretsch regardless, because they know what they sound like.

Last edited:
On one occasion in the last year I was so unhappy with the sound in my demonstration room on the first day that I hid all my acoustic records in the bathroom. It was sorted on day three, so out they came. When my showroom/system is working right I'll usually prefer orchestral and natural acoustic because the realistic illusion is all the more impressive. You could say that's not 100% honest, but setting up an unknown room with very limited time and tools is a commando campaign - you have to just do what you can to survive.
This year we had some amusement where we'd managed to create an issue with stored energy in a vibrating empty box during the set-up on the Friday. It happens.

A vast amount of jazz is very system undemanding ( if that makes sense ? )

A lot of it is doesn't tax even modest systems and yet gets played lots at shows.

I get the impression that it is easy listening music for folk who want to appear like they have taste that is elevated above that of the hoi polloi.

A lot of it is doesn't tax even modest systems and yet gets played lots at shows.

I get the impression that it is easy listening music for folk who want to appear like they have taste that is elevated above that of the hoi polloi.
I'm not sure I agree. I assume you're talking about the likes of Diana Krall, and that this is broadly similar to girl & guitar in terms of the demands it makes on a system. It's a reasonable assertion, but my experience has been that this music often contains layers of subtlety that can elude some systems. I like Diana Krall, as it happens (there, I said it!) partly because of this subtlety. A fellow fishie came up to have a listen to a turntable I was selling, recently and brought his current turntable with him. We both use the same cart - Hana ML - so it was a fair test. I was pleased to see a Diana Krall album in the stack of stuff he brought with him, especially as it's not one I knew.

We both agreed that my table showed how Diana Krall created a mood in a piece, where his didn't. Suffice to say, I bought that album after his visit, and I don't think I would have done on the basis of what I heard through his TT.

Of course, there's also a lot of jazz which is highly dynamic, rhythmically complex and harmonically challenging, which I think is an excellent test of a system, but this doesn't, to my mind, diminish the value of simple, but subtle, music in showing what a system can, or can't do.

The all hyper expensive Naim system downstairs in one of the Lounge rooms with comfy chairs seemed to be able to play anything.

Fair enough Tony, though if a dealer avoids using one type (electronic instruments) for the reasons upthread, they are then in effect setting a narrative which limits people who don't listen critically for sonic or timbral nuances.
If this is referring to myself - I listen to a huge amount of fully electronic music (Kraftwerk, Boards Of Canada, Alva Noto, Tycho etc), and I will use them myself when hosting demos if I think they're relevant to the customer. If I hosted a room at a show, I wouldn't completely avoid using fully electronic music. Although, I wouldn't be hosting a room at a show, as I don't feel a show is a place for retailers, it should be for manufacturers and distributors only. But that's another story...

I'd had to wrestle the controls from the Tony first; he seemed to have a bit of a Yes aversion (..."I can't keep listening to Yes all day..." and he'd already said "If you put any £$%&ing ELO on I'm going to shoot you".

I think I meant reverential rather that deferential before. Poor command of English, another training video required.

I feel apart from Timpy's obsession with Geoff Lynn (maybe some compromising images somewhere or ECT? let me know) the observations regarding the music were good, in whippet therasher land you can empty or fill in a room from anything by Inspirial Carpets to Zep's Battle of Evermore, we played a great varity of musical genres including some cracking large scale orchestral pieces (even Mike Valentine gave a thumbs up, high praise indeed!) until the circuit protection circuit obligued us with is presence. Welcome to the pleasuredome was giving some ladies a big smile (although one lass daughter looked a little embaressed lol) The show is always a decent event and produces a a very good positive vibe, we always enjoy ourselves given its a 400 mile round trip and about a week worth of effect. IMHO the best real world show in the UK. So a big thank you to all those we came and said hello and many of you left giving great positive comments. You can't please everybody we know, but judging by the feedback we did OK. See you next year!

Timothy, more training videos for you 😆

If this is referring to myself - I listen to a huge amount of fully electronic music (Kraftwerk, Boards Of Canada, Alva Noto, Tycho etc), and I will use them myself when hosting demos if I think they're relevant to the customer. If I hosted a room at a show, I wouldn't completely avoid using fully electronic music. Although, I wouldn't be hosting a room at a show, as I don't feel a show is a place for retailers, it should be for manufacturers and distributors only. But that's another story...
It wasn't directly, or even specifically, referring to you, it was a more general comment arising from this particular subtopic of conversation. If anything, it was directed at Tony's point. Though you may have seen from what I wrote upthread, that I'm not in agreement with your point about having no basis for comparing it to anything real. You did say that people know what a Les Paul sounds like, but that's also an amplified device, experienced through a loudspeaker. I presume you are therefore referring to purely electronically-created tones, ie synths and the like.

You did say that people know what a Les Paul sounds like, but that's also an amplified device, experienced through a loudspeaker. I presume you are therefore referring to purely electronically-created tones, ie synths and the like.
But you agree that people can distinguish between guitars and pianos from listening on an a hi-fi system? That was my point. Yes, I was referring to fully electronic music where everything is created from scratch. There IS a reference for that (the original, created sound), but unless you were there at the recording/mixing stage, you'll have no idea what it is.

I like a system that gets out of the way of the music. It's as much about what a system doesn't do wrong. In other words, I want a system that doesn't do anything that breaks my emotional connection with the music I love.

I can enjoy all types of music, regardless of what instrument / computer / object it is created from. A system shouldn't limit that choice.

I was referring to fully electronic music where everything is created from scratch. There IS a reference for that (the original, created sound), but unless you were there at the recording/mixing stage, you'll have no idea what it is.
But studios have multiple systems of varying fidelity to ensure that the mix will sound OK on the wide range of equipment out in the real world. This is why I said 'acoustic', because we have suspicious ears which can often tell when a voice or well-known acoustic instrument doesn't sound quite right.

Kind of agree with @John Phillips @savvypaul and others. Hi-fi is about expanding the envelope in terms of resolution, bandwidth etc. *whilst not* also at the same time introducing new disturbing errors ("Uncanny Valley"). A classic example is deeper bass, if not done right can cause drums to go from percussive to muddy. But there are many others.

The sins of omission are more musical than the sins of commission IME.

Not worth responding to this taunt (oops, just did), but you obviously don't realise that the label "jazz" can be applied to everything from, say, Louis Armstrong and His Hot Five to Last Exit.

Have you compared the dynamic range if a typical jazz record with a typical rock/pop album? Usually three or four times. A good jazz recording sounds the most like a real instrument in the room with you. Then from there we have the complexity of timing, phrasing, chord structure, counterpoint etc which is almost always in a different league to rock/pop.

PS FWIW I don’t count most hi-fi show jazz as jazz. Much is just fem voc elavator music.

I like the 'Do you use music to listen to your system, or your system to listen to music?' question. Plinky audiophile jazz stuff feels too much the former and I find it fairly useless in a demo, if maybe nice. Much prefer real/familiar/challenging material.

David is absolutely wonderful putting up with my Berlin Electronica when i listen to stuff at his place . Sounds fabulous too .

I like the 'Do you use music to listen to your system, or your system to listen to music?' question. Plinky audiophile jazz stuff feels too much the former and I find it fairly useless in a demo, if maybe nice. Much prefer real/familiar/challenging material.
I agree, with the one caveat being if audiophile plinky jazz is all you really love 😆

Play a wide selection of the music you love. If you find you love it even more, then the system may be better (for you) than what you already have. My measure is emotional connection, so if I play James Hand or Nick Cave and you find me, at the end of the track, in a well of my own tears and halfway through a bottle of moonshine...it's not necessarily a negative reaction ;)

I'm always pleased if someone brings along their own music.

I would echo this; musical masturbation isn't really a specific genre it is the Guardian readers holy grail of musical divinity as they are self-appointed custodians of music. I was informed on more than one occasion over the weekend quite Vermontly! (new one on me, but you live & learn) Beside Jazz comes in many forms, from Trad/Street/Latin/Modal to space cadet Sun - Ra /Coleman etc and that is about as wide in diversity as the length of the Amazon. Plenty of Ph.D. Jazz afficionado’s on here that can point out the exact descriptive pro's required I feel far more eloquently than myself!

Not worth responding to this taunt (oops, just did), but you obviously don't realise that the label "jazz" can be applied to everything from, say, Louis Armstrong and His Hot Five to Last Exit.
And you missed the emphasis I placed on "a vast amount"

hint......not all.

And I was referring to the jazz generally played at shows.

advertisement

Back