advertisement

North West Audio Show 2024

What SVS speakers where on show? I’ve read nothing but good things about their new range.
If I'd managed to tolerate more than a few minutes in their room, I might be able to tell you - I'm clearly not a potential customer, though, so I wasn't taking notes

One of the baffling things is the perceived (massive) gap between what the reviews say about much of this equipment and how it sounds - to me at least - perhaps there's something wrong with my hearing/brain 🤪

Did any other attendees note the Long Dog Audio Monoblocks, mentioned up thread by @Tantris ?
Were they these ss ones:

I'd be interested to hear any opinions on them, if anyone has any to share?
Also any details of the speakers they were paired with?

Why do so many set-ups sound bad? Most of us pick a room, chuck our gear in then do our best to make it work and get results to varying degrees. How are these show rooms so much more different than the rooms in our homes?

Or do they not test/build their gear with real world rooms in mind?

Did any other attendees note the Long Dog Audio Monoblocks, mentioned up thread by @Tantris ?
Were they these ss ones:

Often thought about these as they are superb value . slight comment about sharp fins put me off in review but otherwise they look good

Were they these ss ones:

I think he might have been the chap running a pair of perspex open baffle speakers (?) - if so, I found it difficult to get a handle on how it sounded because the music playing was rather peculiar

Nice that a few rooms diverged from the plinky plonky nonsense/ middle of the road female vocals, but the gentleman in question went a bit further off piste than most and I didn't really have a reference point for the results - probably just a damn odd recording

Were they these ss ones:

I heard them at the Whittlebury Show in the MFA room driving a pair of Graham Audio LS5/9s. Best sound of the show for me but I am sure that the MFA pre amp and phono stage played a large part too.

And the price has stayed the same for years now , very good vfm . even better if you wait for dave at MRCU 12% vouchers at shows . then its 3080 for the pair !!!

Surprised no one mentioned Floyd’s DSOTM-era PA! I’d have been very curious to hear that. Far more interesting than anything inside so far! How did it sound? The WEM parabolic reflectors looked bizarre, more like a satellite dish than a speaker. Was it all powered by banks of Quad 303s? I know they used them for live-sound at one stage.

Surprised no one mentioned Floyd’s DSOTM-era PA! I’d have been very curious to hear that. Far more interesting than anything inside so far! How did it sound? The WEM parabolic reflectors looked bizarre, more like a satellite dish than a speaker. Was it all powered by banks of Quad 303s? I know they used them for live-sound at one stage.
It was interesting, but I felt a bit sorry for the people working outside the hotel on the show days. Much as I like Pink Floyd, DSOTM on non-stop repeat all day for a whole weekend would have had me wanting to kill somebody, I think.

It was interesting, but I felt a bit sorry for the people working outside the hotel on the show days. Much as I like Pink Floyd, DSOTM on non-stop repeat all day for a whole weekend would have had me wanting to kill somebody, I think.
It's also so loud it is clearly distorting.

Atc 50 anniversary active with streamer, a couple of the Kerrs in various room, the nodes, kef blades without subs, ki3s and the rubato- radford- supratrac combo.

Also the speakers and deck in brooksys room, I though he'd got the prices wrong....

advertisement

Back