advertisement

North West Audio Show 2024

I think those people that attended the show over the weekend could be described as enthusiasts. I believe the Maverick show will be enthusiasts own systems.
Yes the show been going many years now , loved it at scalford and seeing those ancient speakers pimped to death blow more expensive ones out of the water

@hifinutt Never been Phil, I'll be away again this year when the show comes around.
Ah thats a shame .now its moved to barnsley i probably wont go either but its worth a visit .many people on here lug huge amounts of stuff there .my impulse taus were there in 2015 i think it was and soon after i bought them

Atc 50 anniversary active with streamer, a couple of the Kerrs in various room, the nodes, kef blades without subs, ki3s and the rubato- radford- supratrac combo.

Also the speakers and deck in brooksys room, I though he'd got the prices wrong....
I think paul from rfc was there at the show which is fairly rare . Good he could meet folks , over the years he has made some amazing stuff and modded so many impulse speakers

Reactions: koi
When I passed the DSOM guys were playing Gilmour-era Floyd.....
Was that the Sunday? I went out to my car several times on the Saturday and DSOTM was playing each time. And when I went out to my car to go home at lunchtime on Sunday, it was DSOTM again.

Perhaps the car audio guys had taken them to a quiet bit of the car park on Saturday evening and made the wisdom of mixing the programme up a bit on Sunday absolutely clear to them.

Was that the Sunday? I went out to my car several times on the Saturday and DSOTM was playing each time. And when I went out to my car to go home at lunchtime on Sunday, it was DSOTM again.

Perhaps the car audio guys had taken them to a quiet bit of the car park on Saturday evening and made the wisdom of mixing the programme up a bit on Sunday absolutely clear to them.
Sunday around 1.30pm. I think it was the title track to (IMHO dreary) Division Bell LP.

More generally I felt that there was less to appeal to me this year than in previous years. I found too many systems failed to capture music in a realistic fashion: a lot of muscle and fizz, but rather less subtlety and musicality. My local dealer was excellent and I rather liked a Well Tempered record player, but I know that it's as much about being there, rather than being in the moment. I thought the record stalls were rather expensive, but aren't they all these days? Well done to the organisers and exhibitors though. A good and cheap way to spend some time.

Paul of RFC was indeed there and on good form despite health. I really enjoyed being a part of his room's system. I have a lot to learn from him.

I used his Rubatos at the Bristol show too, but this time he had a pair for me to buy and take away with me. I had time to plug them in today in what will be my visitor listening/sales room and I love them even more at home. I hope Paul is ready because I may end up accidentally selling speakers as often as tonearms.

rubatos-cranage.jpg

Did any other attendees note the Long Dog Audio Monoblocks, mentioned up thread by @Tantris ?
Were they these ss ones:

I'd be interested to hear any opinions on them, if anyone has any to share?
Also any details of the speakers they were paired with?

Yes, Longdog were using a pair of those monoblocks to drive a pair of their 3-way open baffle speakers. Sounded very good to me.

Longdog-Audio-NWAS-June-2024.jpg

Longdog-Audio-Speakers-NWAS-June-2024.jpg

Surprised no one mentioned Floyd’s DSOTM-era PA! I’d have been very curious to hear that. Far more interesting than anything inside so far! How did it sound? The WEM parabolic reflectors looked bizarre, more like a satellite dish than a speaker. Was it all powered by banks of Quad 303s? I know they used them for live-sound at one stage.
Lower key than last year. Still interesting though, but even Tony (Coherent) said to me on the way in “I do hope the people are showing them some love”.
As a smoker I was in and out a fair bit, but there was only ever a trickle of people at the van that I saw, which we thought a bit of a shame.
If you’ve even a passing interest, it was well worth a look.

Unfortunately, obviously, we were largely tied up, and that’s the problem with having a room to staff. I only ever made it as far Leema Acoustic’s room on the floor we were on, which was very good I thought with the Australian speakers, very effective playing some Depeche Mode.

Liked the NVA room too, nice noises coming from the Neat room too, but couldn’t stop, didn’t see anything else.

So what did people think of the music this year?

advertisement

Back