advertisement

North West Audio Show 2024

These:

53808629171_490214a9fd_m.jpg
I think they’re Stirlings. That’s what they brought to the London Hifi show. They sounded superb there

I think they’re Stirlings. That’s what they brought to the London Hifi show. They sounded superb there
thanks
dont suppose they could be kensingtons that DNA were going to bring ?

I went for a few hours this morning. As always, very well organised, with friendly support staff. I enjoyed many of the rooms, including hearing the new Quad 2912s, Longdog Audio monoblocks (and the open baffle speakers), AudioNote, and the Linn streamers. It was good to chat about the newer Hifi Rose products as well, although some of the pricing seems a bit steep. The Narrowband Absorber also got my attention, and it would have been good to hear this being used in some of the rooms. I quite liked the new iFi phono stage as well. Some of the other rooms did seem to struggle - the Coherent Systems room was just too loud, and the Kef Blades were obviously not set up properly, particularly in the midrange. I listened for a few minutes to the Kii Seven; nice design, but I think there are many much more capable speakers out there.

I stayed for the noon session in the 'Chasing the Dragon' room, which turned out to be a really interesting talk about different recording techniques and microphones, with good examples from their own recordings. They also had the coolest and most impressive piece of equipment by far, the Studer 820, which was used to play the final section of Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade to great effect, at 30"/second;

If you'd turned your camera around at that point, you'd have got me in shot..so perhaps best you didn't....
Agreed.. a really interesting and informative session.Also worth noting that all of those beautiful sounds were emanating from a Falcon Acoustics speaker based on the classic KEF driver triumvirate of T27 tweeter, B110 mid, and B139 elliptical bass...all apparently for £3k. Something of a bargain in the right system....
Overall, enjoyed the show as ever.. but the best part of 7 quid for a Heineken Shandy in the bar.. and £10 for a dried out 'bap' with pork or brisket filling is just taking the piss...
No wonder they can offer free admission....
My pal had to limit his spending on poncy vinyl pressings to a mere £600. He only got four....:(

If you'd turned your camera around at that point, you'd have got me in shot..so perhaps best you didn't....
Agreed.. a really interesting and informative session.Also worth noting that all of those beautiful sounds were emanating from a Falcon Acoustics speaker based on the classic KEF driver triumvirate of T27 tweeter, B110 mid, and B139 elliptical bass...all apparently for £3k. Something of a bargain in the right system....
I was in the room on Saturday. It was a superb session.

I also heard the Chasing The Dragon demo (including some of their same material) at the Audio Show Deluxe in March, played through £45k Sonus Faber Stradivari G2 'speakers (and I was also at their Cranage demo last year played through ATC SCM150 'speakers).

IMHO the March ASD show demo was the best sound of that show without exception. And this was the best sound overall of the 2024 NW Audio show (with a couple of what I perceive as recording-specific qualifications).

IMHO, this demo completely confirmed my prejudice that the number one influence on what I hear from today's reasonable-cost audio system comes from the quality of the recording.

I've just returned after a delightful morning.

It was great to see/hear lots of brands in one place and to finally get to hear a few components that I'm interested in.

Sound quality was variable but given it's a hotel, this goes without saying. All the reps were attentive, polite and interested in the punters.

Highly of the show (to me) was Alchris Audio - Gorgeous sounding speakers at real-world prices.

I returned home to my humble setup and smiled as I realised that I don't actually NEED any new gear. However, I believe that I still want it!

Recommended- Pop along there tomorrow for a great day out (and it is free)
Them little bookshelf speakers had a big weighty open sound for there size impressed . phil.

I've just returned after a delightful morning.

It was great to see/hear lots of brands in one place and to finally get to hear a few components that I'm interested in.

Sound quality was variable but given it's a hotel, this goes without saying. All the reps were attentive, polite and interested in the punters.

Highly of the show (to me) was Alchris Audio - Gorgeous sounding speakers at real-world prices.

I returned home to my humble setup and smiled as I realised that I don't actually NEED any new gear. However, I believe that I still want it!

Recommended- Pop along there tomorrow for a great day out (and it is free)
Well. I missed this chance to hear them, just too much going on. I’m a big fan and now I’ve had a look at the new range I would’ve liked to have heard them. Ribbon tweeters and transmission line. Interesting.

beautiful sounds were emanating from a Falcon Acoustics speaker based on the classic KEF driver triumvirate of T27 tweeter, B110 mid, and B139 elliptical bass...all apparently for £3k. Something of a bargain in the right system....
Kef Concertos then, often available for £100 or so ;)

Indeed.. I was given a pair for nowt some years ago, but the cabinet was roughed out from white melamine, ports were toilet roll tubes etc.. These looked a smidgeon better put together... and the bass driver is 'quarter wave loaded', or somesuch.

Last edited:
£10 for a dried out 'bap'
Better value for money than a lot of the kit I heard....

I don't know the extent to which you can really blame the rooms - some very (very!) expensive gear sounding at best uninspiring, and at worst actually driving me from the room

Notable exceptions were the AN room (2wpc driving AN-Ks sounded amazing)
and the budget Rega system.
I didn't make it to the NVA room this year, but they always seem to get things right as well. I was also quite impressed with the speakers in the Audioquest room - not really the presentation I favour, but very capable & properly set up

Also enjoyed the RFC room - I had to sit rather too near the speakers, but impressions were definitely positive - really nice looking 301 as a source

Absolute low point was the SVS room - cannot understand how anyone could stand it

I really enjoyed the Wam show last time I went - some really amazing sounding systems put together for a fraction of the cost of some of the nonsense I heard this weekend - looking forward to the Maverick show later in the year 👍

Last edited:

I don't know the extent to which you can really blame the rooms - some very (very!) expensive gear sounding at best uninspiring, and at worst actually driving me from the room

I didn't make it to the NVA room this year, but they always seem to get things right as well. I was also quite impressed with the speakers in the Audioquest room - not really the presentation I favour, but very capable & properly set up

Absolute low point was the SVS room - cannot understand how anyone could stand it

I really enjoyed the Wam show last time I went - some really amazing sounding systems put together for a fraction of the cost of some of the nonsense I heard this weekend - looking forward to the Maverick show later in the year 👍
What was the 2wpc amp Audio Note we’re using with The ANK’s - 2a3?
Anyone go into The Audio Counsel room where I think they also had a full AN system.

What SVS speakers where on show? I’ve read nothing but good things about their new range.

advertisement

Back