advertisement

Noel Gallagher - Sunday Times

Apparently there is soon to be an Oasis sleb bus tour in monochromatic Manchester. It goes to Sifters so isn't a total waste of time. I'd still recommend the train though, it's cheaper and usually doesn't have some pointless oik banging on about how great Oasis are.

Tony.

Oasis was just a fad for young angry working class white men in the mid 90's

At best they made some good anthems for the pub, nothing more.

right
right
right

apart from the "good anthems" bit.. "numbskull formulaic musical ripp-off anthems" is better.

i'll get me coat before i'm biffed..

Their first album had its moments, so after that is was really poor fare. Always good for a quote though our Noel.

Oasis was just a fad for young angry working class white men in the mid 90's

At best they made some good anthems for the pub, nothing more.

Yes, I would agree with you, that a lot of the backlash against Oasis is due to their undisguised working classness, which does seem to upset some sections of middle England.

They didn't go to art college. Get over it.

Yes, I would agree with you, that a lot of the backlash against Oasis is due to their undisguised working classness, which does seem to upset some sections of middle England.

They didn't go to art college. Get over it.

Brit pop is dead, it's time you got over it.

I think its funny that just because someone is making a packet, that somehow makes them impervious to criticism about the conduct of their trade.

The first two Oasis albums were brilliant. After that they disappointed and I haven't bought anything else since to hear what they have been like lately, but to write off Noel Gallagher and compare him to manufactured pop is ridiculous.

On the other hand, everyone seems to worship Ray Davis, but he hasn't written anything decent since Waterloo Sunset!!

First Oasis album and the singles had a certain raw promise and their early live shows were excellent. Second album onwards they were awful.

Girls Aloud however are very, very good and keep making fantastic pop records.

On the other hand, everyone seems to worship Ray Davis, but he hasn't written anything decent since Waterloo Sunset!!

I don't worship Ray, but I like his songs and I'll venture that in the 6 years between 'making it' and ending his major chart period, he wrote many more worthwhile and lasting songs than Mr Gallagher has managed in a longer period. I think his sociological observations were also more acute, more accessible and less wrapped up in pretention than those of Gallagher, and his melodies more varied and original.

From memory:

You Really Got Me
All Day And All Of The Night
Tired Of Waiting For You
Everybody's Gonna Be Happy
Set Me Free
See My Friends
Till The End Of The Day
Waterloo Sunset
Days
Dead End Street
Where Have All The Good Times Gone
Lola
Autumn Almanac
Apeman
Plastic Man
David Watts

....there are more :)

IMHO, 'Good Times' is one of his most underrated songs and should be seen as a close second to Waterloo Sunset.

Mull

First Oasis album and the singles had a certain raw promise and their early live shows were excellent. Second album onwards they were awful.

Girls Aloud however are very, very good and keep making fantastic pop records.

And they are much, much prettier than either Ray or Noel:D

advertisement

Back