advertisement

No more Naim Audio Powerline for New Zealand

But really in all seriousness the PDL Tapons Naim where using are very good, none fused for a start plus being able to piggy back from wall out, amps then 52 then Armageddon. Guess that set gives nice star earthing.
I know, all my plugs - except for the one for the streamer - are Tapons. You can buy them from any good electrical trade supplier in Aotearoa.

I know, all my plugs - except for the one for the streamer - are Tapons. You can buy them from any good electrical trade supplier in Aotearoa.
The most recent PDL tapons are complete crap, this may be why Naim have stop over here. Has to be confirmed by Naim though

From what I can tell this change came about when Naim appointed a new distributor for NZ.
The previous distributor was instrumental in using Tapon plugs on all Naim Powercables in NZ, including the Powerline. My guess is that the new distributor can't be bothered or doesn't see the value.
I would assume this will also mean the standard supplied mains cable will also no longer be a Tapon version.

I’ve had no response from Naim about the issue, should be interesting to see what happens particularly if somebody was to buy a new box from the 500 series. I know for a fact that Naim approved of the tapon plugs that Chris of N/A distributors used. In fact Richard from the Naim forum did say they sound very good.
What the heck is going on with that company?

Was Chris in wellington the distributor?
I used to live above the shop for a while, I see the building is for sale now.

Was Chris in wellington the distributor?
I used to live above the shop for a while, I see the building is for sale now.

Yes, must be. The Real Music company. Chris has serviced all my Naim Kit he also gave me a great deal with my Lyra kleso Sl. Top chap and truly knows his stuff.
Think he can still service the gear with or without the naim badge, guess after 35 years of doing it im sure he knows the spec of the bits. He is also one of the few people on earth that could preform a “Naim Sanctioned” service of a 552 preamp.

Yeah top guy, and a great salesman too. He spent a lot of time with me listening to what would have been his cheapest speakers, then he happily dropped the ones I liked to my flat for a home demo, and waited until after I bought them to throw in a set of cables.

Yeah top guy, and a great salesman too. He spent a lot of time with me listening to what would have been his cheapest speakers, then he happily dropped the ones I liked to my flat for a home demo, and waited until after I bought them to throw in a set of cables.
Let me guess Epos es 11?

I’ve had no response from Naim about the issue, should be interesting to see what happens particularly if somebody was to buy a new box from the 500 series. I know for a fact that Naim approved of the tapon plugs that Chris of N/A distributors used. In fact Richard from the Naim forum did say they sound very good. What the heck is going on with that company?

Please share their response (if and when you get one). I have started a thread on the Naim forum on the same issue and have indicated it would be good to get Naim's take on things. Recommending third party products like Nordost usually doesn't go down well there, so am keen to see what they say.

Please share their response (if and when you get one). I have started a thread on the Naim forum on the same issue and have indicated it would be good to get Naim's take on things. Recommending third party products like Nordost usually doesn't go down well there, so am keen to see what they say.
Ha ha on the Naim Forum, good luck with that!
No response from Naim at all to date.

Just had a look, normally Mr Dane would of commented by now and he’s said nothing to date, that in itself says a lot.
So ive been told by a mate that the resent tapon PBL plugs are pitiful and that is the problem. From what i was told Naim did the plug change in the UK not Chris M over here.
Anyway its a sad sate of affairs in NZ and Naim atm. Small market with a lot of passion, would like to find another brand to compete for my tastes.

Yes, I quoted RD intentionally in the hope it would elicit a response. It is also the reason I mentioned Nordost in the subject as the mere mention of using another product usually get's a pretty swift response.

I've always understoood the change to have been done in the UK. If it is the quality of the tapons then they should say so. I would have thought that keeping quiet as is not in their interests. Unless they've stopped for another reason of course...

Yes, I quoted RD intentionally in the hope it would elicit a response. It is also the reason I mentioned Nordost in the subject as the mere mention of using another product usually get's a pretty swift response.

I've always understoood the change to have been done in the UK. If it is the quality of the tapons then they should say so. I would have thought that keeping quiet as is not in their interests. Unless they've stopped for another reason of course...
Possibly they do not have an answer and are looking into an alternative.

Last edited:
I would accept that as an answer.

Think I might try the Naim Audio Facebook group next. Clare Newsome participates and responds on there.

Think I might try the Naim Audio Facebook group next. Clare Newsome participates and responds on there.
I think you will find Clare to be the issue. She’s the spin Doctor. She would of read your Naim forum post you can guarantee that.
Since she’s been roaming around the naim forum things have gone downhill imo.

I found it interesting that Richard had nothing to say other than it’s been 2 years since he’s been to the factory, one would think in this day and age a telephone could be utilised. Pulse the suggestion of importing a UK Powerline to NZ is a big no no in the Naim audio retail world, you do not sell to over seas where a Naim dealerships is in place Ask Tom Tom audio. like I said the pdl tapons have become inferior to what they once were as far as audio is concerned.
In my chest of goodies I have a few of the very old ones and a couple of the more recent ones, I’ve had a look at the newest lversions and can confirm they are super light in weight and have a very fragile outer casing. It would seem Naim are a victim of corporate greed…. How ironic

Agree that Richard's answer said very little (he is the moderator on the Naim forum - pick up the phone FFS!), except for the fact they are basically encouraging me to bypass the official distributor and parallel import a PowerLine. Maybe I should parallel import a 282 and 250 while i'm at it. Is the relationship with their new distributor broken already, or do they just not care? Either way it doesn't bode well for the future of the Naim brand in NZ, which is a shame, considering NZ used to be one of their best markets on a per capita basis (largely down to the efforts of the previous distributor).

advertisement

Back