advertisement

Nikon rumours

Lefty,

You're right - I just took the L bracket off my Z and it also says Made in Japan. I can't find anything that says the D850 was ever produced in Japan though.

From what I can find, it seems the only Nikon cameras that were made in Japan recently were the Z series, D6, D5 and Df. However, this DP Review article says it's only camera production which is shifting to Thailand. Reading between the lines, I guess that means that high specification glass and lenses (which are currently made Tochigi, Japan) are unaffected and will continue to be made in Japan. (i.e. Nikon aren't moving everything to Thailand).

That’s what I thought — that the D850, which got stellar reviews when it was released, has always been manufactured in Thailand. I understand the appeal of saying a camera is built in this desirable place of manufacture rather than that less desirable place of manufacture, but the quality and durability of the kit are what matter.

Back in the day, Leica used to manufacture lenses in Midland, Ontario, Canada, and while not being very Germany glass made by Germans in Germany I don’t believe those lenses are thought of as inferior.

All that said, given that the Df was made in Japan it’s clearly worth much more now than it ever was so if anyone wants mine it’s available for one hundred billion dollars!

Joe

My lowly Nikon D40 was made in Thailand, Japan would be proud if it had their label on it.

Build quality is superb and it takes great pics...........OM10 is growing on me though.

An observation about online reviewers...

The angry photographer gave the manual-focus Nikon 85mm f/1.4 AI-s a stellar review two years ago! See ~0:30 onward in the video below.

The lens also works exceptionally well on Fuji’s medium format digital cameras with an adaptor and it doesn’t vignette even at f/1.4! That's how awesome it is! It's nearly perfect. Perhaps one of a dozen nearly perfect AI-s Nikkors ever made. Buy one now. It’s truly amazing. It has puffy cotton candy bokeh. This lens will change your life. You heard it here first.

But in an earlier review by the same guy (see ~0:25 on) it’s apparently crap. Do NOT buy this lens. It’s terrible. If you bought one based on Ken Rockwell's review, you're an idiot. Hang your head in shame if you have one.

Joe

Reviews have to say something, often inflammatory just to get hits.

Read everything believe nothing.

Pete

I enjoy Chris's reviews - nothing fancy, no 'playing to the crowd' but pleasantly objective comment. Another good one is David Thorpe (mostly Mu43 though) who manages to add some gentle humour too. One of my favourites though is Mattias Burling who manages to cover many bases.

Then there's good old Ken Wheeler - loved and loathed in equal measure. Never a dull moment, and quite an antidote to the utter dross the Northrups churn out. :D

Agreed - he's definitely one of the good guys. I was really pleased when he started reviewing Nikon lenses too :)

I hadn't heard of David Thorpe before - thanks for the tip. I will check him out. Yes, I like Mattias Burling too and Ken Wheeler is.... 'unique' as evidenced by Joe's post! :D

Lefty,

That’s what I thought — that the D850, which got stellar reviews when it was released, has always been manufactured in Thailand. I understand the appeal of saying a camera is built in this desirable place of manufacture rather than that less desirable place of manufacture, but the quality and durability of the kit are what matter.

Back in the day, Leica used to manufacture lenses in Midland, Ontario, Canada, and while not being very Germany glass made by Germans in Germany I don’t believe those lenses are thought of as inferior.

It's pure snobbery. Although I don't think it will hurt Nikon as clearly people have accepted the D850 despite it being manufactured in Thailand. If it saves costs and allows Nikon to carry on putting out excellent camera bodies then I think it's a good decision from them.

All that said, given that the Df was made in Japan it’s clearly worth much more now than it ever was so if anyone wants mine it’s available for one hundred billion dollars!

Joe

The Df is held in high regard by those who use them. ( I believe Mark LJ formerly of this Parish was rather fond of his before he replaced it with a Z6). Seems they will only go up in price now!

An observation about online reviewers...

The angry photographer gave the manual-focus Nikon 85mm f/1.4 AI-s a stellar review two years ago! See ~0:30 onward in the video below.

The lens also works exceptionally well on Fuji’s medium format digital cameras with an adaptor and it doesn’t vignette even at f/1.4! That's how awesome it is! It's nearly perfect. Perhaps one of a dozen nearly perfect AI-s Nikkors ever made. Buy one now. It’s truly amazing. It has puffy cotton candy bokeh. This lens will change your life. You heard it here first.

But in an earlier review by the same guy (see ~0:25 on) it’s apparently crap. Do NOT buy this lens. It’s terrible. If you bought one based on Ken Rockwell's review, you're an idiot. Hang your head in shame if you have one.

Joe

Haha - you've got to love Ken 'The Angry Photographer' Wheeler :D

Lefty

Lefty,

Has the Df reached a billion clams yet? I seem to have made an error going into this pandemic not a billionaire.

Joe

Agreed - he's definitely one of the good guys. I was really pleased when he started reviewing Nikon lenses too :)

I hadn't heard of David Thorpe before - thanks for the tip. I will check him out. Yes, I like Mattias Burling too and Ken Wheeler is.... 'unique' as evidenced by Joe's post! :D

It's pure snobbery. Although I don't think it will hurt Nikon as clearly people have accepted the D850 despite it being manufactured in Thailand. If it saves costs and allows Nikon to carry on putting out excellent camera bodies then I think it's a good decision from them.

The Df is held in high regard by those who use them. ( I believe Mark LJ formerly of this Parish was rather fond of his before he replaced it with a Z6). Seems they will only go up in price now!

Haha - you've got to love Ken 'The Angry Photographer' Wheeler :D

Lefty

Oh I'm a big Ken Wheeler fan - I don't always like him but he's never less than entertaining.

I've always thought of the Df as the Cyrus of the camera world. Something that folk love to hate, yet also has a loyal following. Got close to having one myself but never quite managed to push the button...looks like it'll be out of reach now though. £££ :D

Should also mention that Mattius is a huge Df fan.

Gromit,

Something that folk love to hate, yet also has a loyal following.

It's seven years old now, so its specs won't sound impressive. But when it was new the Df was Nikon smallest full-frame DSLR and it used the same sensor and processor as the pro D4, so it was a way of getting a great sensor in a smaller package at less than half the price of then-current flagship.

Of course, people also hated the Df because it wasn't a D800, but I think they missed the point. The D800 is the D800.

Joe

People also hated it because it wasn't a D800, but I think they missed the point. The D800 is the D800.

Joe

This is what always 'got me' re the Df - if folk wanted a D800, it was there ready and waiting to be bought. I blow a little hot & cold re the Df's packaging (can't help the feeling that it's an over-egged F caricature) but as an image-making device it really appears to deliver, despite its age. Hell...I still use my old D700 and love that darn thing. There's a pop, a physicality to its IQ which is just a joy and still backed up with brilliant ergos* I've yet to find on any other camera. In fact the only one which matches it is the OM-D E-M1 Mk2.

*I do have very large hands so others' mileage will vary of course. :)

Gromit,

The Df is an oddball, but for someone coming to digital from an F2, F3 or FM3a kind of camera it was a smooth transition. The dials were where you expected them to be and they worked the way the dials did on the film bodies. I thought the Df would have been more popular, but it was a niche camera that appealed to oddballs.

A few years ago rumours were circulating that a Df2 was in the works, but that seems extremely unlikely now. Between the world going mirrorless and the financial curve ball thrown at camera companies by the coronavirus, I can't see this getting past a blackboard sketch.

It's a shame because the Fujis with similar styling seem to be selling well.

Joe

Lefty,

Has the Df reached a billion clams yet? I seem to have made an error going into this pandemic not a billionaire.

Joe

:D

I've seen folk get some amazing results with the Df and Mark LJ has often said there is something special about its sensor. Now I know why. That combined with its small form factor makes it appealing, although I suspect the Z cameras now provide a worthy successor in terms of form factor and imaging capabilities.

Oh I'm a big Ken Wheeler fan - I don't always like him but he's never less than entertaining.

Ken is good fun (in moderation :D ). To be fair, his review of the Tokina 100mm Macro was the reason I bought one for my D800E and it was a very good recommendation. It was a lovely lens :)

Lefty

I've seen folk get some amazing results with the Df and Mark LJ has often said there is something special about its sensor. Now I know why. That combined with its small form factor makes it appealing, although I suspect the Z cameras now provide a worthy successor in terms of form factor and imaging capabilities.
Lefty

There are most definitely some cameras which have a certain magic, and from my own experiences; X-Pro1, D700 are a couple I could name. Well past their sell-by dates in terms of tech but they really have a certain something. The tiny GRIII is up there too for its glorious mono jpegs. At the risk of being struck by a bolt of Wetzlar lightning, I'd actually put the D700 ahead of my M240.

If I had to choose one make (ie a single system) to use I'd probably still plump for Nikon. I've also said it before, that if Nikon had produced a Z body (and/or suitable adapter) to use the old screw-AF lenses I'd probably have one now. I had a brief play with a Z6 in LCE, and it just felt so right in my hands.

Gromit,

It does seems odd that Nikon hasn’t made an FTZ adapter with a focusing motor. It would be bigger and heavier but that’s not a deal breaker for me and I assume others with older screw-drive AF lenses.

Joe

There are most definitely some cameras which have a certain magic, and from my own experiences; X-Pro1, D700 are a couple I could name. Well past their sell-by dates in terms of tech but they really have a certain something. The tiny GRIII is up there too for its glorious mono jpegs. At the risk of being struck by a bolt of Wetzlar lightning, I'd actually put the D700 ahead of my M240.

If I had to choose one make (ie a single system) to use I'd probably still plump for Nikon. I've also said it before, that if Nikon had produced a Z body (and/or suitable adapter) to use the old screw-AF lenses I'd probably have one now. I had a brief play with a Z6 in LCE, and it just felt so right in my hands.

There certainly are and having owned an X-Pro1 I would definitely put it in that category. I would love to won a GRIII. The sensor size combined with the small form factor are very appealing to me. I might replace my Sony RX100 III with one some day.

Nikon are also my 'go to' camera brand and I also wish they made an FTZ which supported the older screw focus lenses. After all, Sony have an adaptor for older screw focus lenses, so why couldn't Nikon make one? I must admit that it hasn't turned out to be the deal breaker that I thought it would be though. In reality, there are only a few lenses which I need and whilst the older AF-D lenses are well priced and have their charms, the newer Z mount glass really is in a different league. (For example, the 50/1.8 Z lens handily out performed the Sigma 35/1.4 ART when I shot them side by side).

As to the ergos, Nikon have absolutely nailed it with the Z bodies. my Z7 is an absolute joy to use. In terms of image quality, it's the best camera I've ever had. Not to say it doesn't have competition. The Sony A7r II I had previously was wonderful when judged purely on image quality. (Its UI and ergos were another matter, which is one of the reasons I sold it). The other reason I decided to leave Sony was the price of the glass. It seems that Sony are playing a clever game. Price their bodies cheap to get people bought into the system and then get them to pay more for the glass to compensate.

Lefty

There certainly are and having owned an X-Pro1 I would definitely put it in that category. I would love to won a GRIII. The sensor size combined with the small form factor are very appealing to me. I might replace my Sony RX100 III with one some day.

Nikon are also my 'go to' camera brand and I also wish they made an FTZ which supported the older screw focus lenses. After all, Sony have an adaptor for older screw focus lenses, so why couldn't Nikon make one? I must admit that it hasn't turned out to be the deal breaker that I thought it would be though. In reality, there are only a few lenses which I need and whilst the older AF-D lenses are well priced and have their charms, the newer Z mount glass really is in a different league. (For example, the 50/1.8 Z lens handily out performed the Sigma 35/1.4 ART when I shot them side by side).

As to the ergos, Nikon have absolutely nailed it with the Z bodies. my Z7 is an absolute joy to use. In terms of image quality, it's the best camera I've ever had. Not to say it doesn't have competition. The Sony A7r II I had previously was wonderful when judged purely on image quality. (Its UI and ergos were another matter, which is one of the reasons I sold it). The other reason I decided to leave Sony was the price of the glass. It seems that Sony are playing a clever game. Price their bodies cheap to get people bought into the system and then get them to pay more for the glass to compensate.

Lefty

A good point re the D glass on the Z7 - they're lovely lenses (and inexpensive) but I have a hunch the 45MP sensor on the 7 would be stretching them too far. Interesting slant on the Sony body/lens pricing. Sure their GM glass is very good but it's horrifically expensive - saying that, so is Panasonic's L mount stuff for the S1/S5 etc. I used mostly Samyang on my 7RIII - the tiny 35-2.8 and the not-so-tiny 85-1.4. The 85 is very special, and for under 600 quid a bargain. It would just depend if someone wanted to go 3rd party or OEM I suppose.

It looks like a little bitty motor to drive the screw-drive AF lenses might fit into the current FTZ adapter.

490c8389959d46d4b6f5ad310f02cd45

Or make the FTZ adapter a bit bigger and use whatever motor is necessary?

Joe

A good point re the D glass on the Z7 - they're lovely lenses (and inexpensive) but I have a hunch the 45MP sensor on the 7 would be stretching them too far. Interesting slant on the Sony body/lens pricing. Sure their GM glass is very good but it's horrifically expensive - saying that, so is Panasonic's L mount stuff for the S1/S5 etc. I used mostly Samyang on my 7RIII - the tiny 35-2.8 and the not-so-tiny 85-1.4. The 85 is very special, and for under 600 quid a bargain. It would just depend if someone wanted to go 3rd party or OEM I suppose.

Ah yes - that's a good point re: third party glass for Sony. When I had my A7rII, there were few options. (Except the awesome little Samyang 35/2.8 you mention). It's a different story now, and makes Sony look very attractive. (Provided you can get on with the ergos and UI).

It would be nice to see more third party Z mount lenses appearing for the Z system, just to give people more options. In terms of the native Z mount lenses, the Nikon roadmap certainly has some enticing options.

I would have liked to see a 70-200/4, but I am keeping a close eye on the 100-400.

I might add the 14-30/4 to my lineup, but I very rarely shoot ultra-wide so might be better off waiting for the 100-400 and spending my money on that.

Nikon-Z-October-2020-Roadmap-735x960.jpg

Lefty

I cannot stress enough how good the 24-200 zoom is. The IQ is stunning for a superzoom, for any lens for that matter. For many people, it is the only lens they might need. I got mine from Panamoz in September, in time for a trip up north - but its still not available at UK dealers!

I've replaced the Samyang 14/2.8 with the Nikon 14-30/4. Its lighter and more versatile than the Samyang which introduced me to the possibilities of ultra-wide shots.

Lefty

I used to own a Nikon Df, and often regret selling it. Looking back at pictures I took with it, I fully agree that there is something special about the sensor. The Fuji X-Pro 2 I bought in its place doesn't compare. The only thing I didn't like about the Df was manual focusing, especially as it was marketed as being ideal for use with vintage lenses.

advertisement

Back