advertisement

Nikon rumours

End of an era. I’m right out of touch with photography but I assume this means Nikon lost the pro journalist market etc a while back?

I'm more of a Jane Bown person

bown1_2891559b.jpg

You pick the camera system that works for you. I've gone with Nikon, which is down partially to historical accident, as a Nikon happened to be the first proper camera I bought in the 1980s. But the other reason for my sticking with Nikon is the 200 mm Micro-Nikkor f/4. You can pry that from my cold, dead hands.

Joe

If you’re feeling brave there are a few on eBay, some in the U.K. Cheaper than most places too.

I couldn’t do it!

Where did you get yours? It's a grey import site, but I'd highly recommend Panamoz. It's where I got my Z7 + kit lens from.

Lefty

An OM1N with 50mm f1.8 was my first proper camera back in the early ‘80s. A superb camera IMO. I think that’s an OM2 in the pic though.

The OM Zuiko lenses were great. The 50/1.4 and the 85/2 portrait lens is a beauty. Do you know her portraits from the Observer over the years? Stunning work - a catalogue of the time really by its very nature, not all on the Oly, but a lot of it...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1783350857/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have her Face portrait book. Highly recommended if you like photography, portraits, art, contemporary culture.

bownfaces.jpg

Joe

A shame about Nikon's decline. It has the biggest lens range of any system and good handling. I've read that compared to Canon, it's been bleeding itself in recent times partly by offering poor support. Nikon never had such a game-changing triumph as Canon EOS that was long ahead in AF and IS. Nikon's excellent sensors of the last decade haven't made up for the early shortcomings that brought so many photographers to Canon.

I have two Nikons and two lenses: a D50 and a D90, with 18-70mm and 18-105mm. The D50 might be my favourite DSLR because of its simplicity. It has very easy handling. It has an adequate 6 MP with a minimal range of image parameters; a focusing motor for older lenses (if very slow!); a top flash sync speed of 1/500 sec; and the battery lasts for ages. It gives this old dog the closest shooting experience to a film SLR that I know. Its jpegs have a character that remind me somewhat of Fuji slide films. I'm taking it with me on my trip today to visit my family.

Nikon have been manufacturing cameras in Thailand for years, and there are no more QC issues than there are with Japan built cameras.

Leica have just opened a factory in Mexico.

https://m.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-z6-ii-review

This review of the Z6II finds that it is an extremely capable camera which is comparable in pretty much every respect with its direct competition, which includes the Canon R6, and concludes that it boils down to personal preference. The review also mentions in passing that the D780 is amongst the best DSLRs ever produced, and that the Z6II is an even more capable machine.

There is no suggestion anywhere that Canon is 'leagues ahead' of Nikon.

PS great photos, Amar. Very smart framing, and classy watermark too.

Nikon have been manufacturing cameras in Thailand for years, and there are no more QC issues than there are with Japan built cameras.

Leica have just opened a factory in Mexico.

https://m.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-z6-ii-review

This review of the Z6II finds that it is an extremely capable camera which is comparable in pretty much every respect with its direct competition, which includes the Canon R6, and concludes that it boils down to personal preference. The review also mentions in passing that the D780 is amongst the best DSLRs ever produced, and that the Z6II is an even more capable machine.

There is no suggestion anywhere that Canon is 'leagues ahead' of Nikon.

Good points - well made. Digging into this it appears that the majority of Nikon's bodies are already made in Thailand (including all the Z bodes and the superb D850).

https://www.dslrbodies.com/newsview... and D850,and assembled in Ayuthaya, Thailand.

It appears that once again, the internet is being unfairly alarmist about Nikon and its future.

PS great photos, Amar. Very smart framing, and classy watermark too.

Thank you - very much appreciated :)

Fo an alternative view from a long term Nikon user (who

A perfect example of the type of YouTube reviewer who is unfairly (and inaccurately) criticizing Nikon.

For example, he exclaims at how the Canon R6 has the same image processor as the $6000 Canon 1DX III. But completely glosses over the fact the Z6 II has two Expeed 6 processors (i.e. two of same processor Nikon uses in their $6000 D6)

He also says the sensor comparison is a 'draw' based on no information whatsoever other than his own opinion.

Finally, if Nikon cameras are so far behind, why did the winners of Landscape Photographer of the Year 2020 and Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2020 both shoot Nikon? (Nikon D3200 and Nikon Z7 respectively).

PS - this isn't a dig at you Canonman and is certainly not meant as a negative or nasty post. (The Photo Room is a wonderfully civil place and this post is made very much in that spirit).

Lefty

Last edited:
The auto focus speed of the Leica M-series cameras is leagues behind both Nikon’s and Canon’s offerings, but they seem to be doing OK.

Just an exercise in showing how easy it is to hone in one on thing and make a huge deal out of it.

Joe

Lefty,

Was the D850 originally made in Japan? My Z6 (not a mark II model), which is a slightly more recent model, says made in Japan.

Joe

You're right - I just took the L bracket off my Z and it also says Made in Japan. I can't find anything that says the D850 was ever produced in Japan though.

From what I can find, it seems the only Nikon cameras that were made in Japan recently were the Z series, D6, D5 and Df. However, this DP Review article says it's only camera production which is shifting to Thailand. Reading between the lines, I guess that means that high specification glass and lenses (which are currently made Tochigi, Japan) are unaffected and will continue to be made in Japan. (i.e. Nikon aren't moving everything to Thailand).

https://www.dpreview.com/news/45485...ends-domestic-camera-production-move-thailand

Either way, judging by the fact the D850 is made in Thailand, it sounds like the quality of Nikon's camera bodies is in safe hands :)

Jared Polin - I gave up watching his tripe some time ago. Along with Tony and Chelsea, he puts out some of the worst clickbait on YouTube...in fact the bloke's a complete *rse imho.

Glad I'm not the only person who feels this way. For my sins, I used to watch both Jared Polin and Tony and Chelsea's videos back in 2014. Unfortunately, it seems that over the years they have lost their way and turned into obnoxious cartoon characters in their chase for YouTube stardom. They are painful to watch now!

Lefty

Whilst the like of Jared Polin and the Northrup's continue their decline, there are some great YouTube photography gear channels out there. One of my favourites is Christopher Frost. Traditionally a Canon user but he has recently started testing Nikon lenses too and by complete coincidence, he has just put out a review of Nikon's new 14-24/2.8 Z lens. I'll link the video below.

He concludes that 'it's just about the sharpest ultrawide angle zoom lens I've ever tested' and 'it's more or less the best I've ever seen so far'.

Lefty

Whilst the like of Jared Polin and the Northrup's continue their decline, there are some great YouTube photography gear channels out there. One of my favourites is Christopher Frost.

Lefty

I enjoy Chris's reviews - nothing fancy, no 'playing to the crowd' but pleasantly objective comment. Another good one is David Thorpe (mostly Mu43 though) who manages to add some gentle humour too. One of my favourites though is Mattias Burling who manages to cover many bases.

Then there's good old Ken Wheeler - loved and loathed in equal measure. Never a dull moment, and quite an antidote to the utter dross the Northrups churn out. :D

advertisement

Back