advertisement

Next Labour Leader II

Status
Not open for further replies.
RLB looked and sounded best candidate by far. Trouble is that she will be subject to the same sort of attacks as was Corbyn, the Daily Mail has already started by likening her semi detached house in Manchester to Monte Carlo ffs. If centrist support for a ‘electable’ leader is conditional on the attitude of the Daily Mail, then I have to question the strength of that support for Labour values.

Which leaves me looking back at RLB again.

RLB looked and sounded best candidate by far. Trouble is that she will be subject to the same sort of attacks as was Corbyn, the Daily Mail has already started by likening her semi detached house in Manchester to Monte Carlo ffs. If centrist support for a ‘electable’ leader is conditional on the attitude of the Daily Mail, then I have to question the strength of that support for Labour values.

I what ways is she the best?

I what ways is she the best?
My response was only in the context of what I heard in the hustings today. People on here don’t seem to like prioritising policy over personality, so my comments on RLB were only about her and her presentation, how she ‘appeared’. She came across as the most competent and in command of her brief. Starmer was OK, but no presence. Nandy came across OK but uninspiring. Thornberry came across as wild eyed and tub thumpy, and Philips didn’t seem to have any ideas of her own.

My response was only in the context of what I heard in the hustings today. People on here don’t seem to like prioritising policy over personality, so my comments on RLB were only about her and her presentation, how she ‘appeared’. She came across as the most competent and in command of her brief. Starmer was OK, but no presence. Nandy came across OK but uninspiring. Thornberry came across as wild eyed and tub thumpy, and Philips didn’t seem to have any ideas of her own.
Interesting summary. Can I view the Hustings at all?

Then vote for whoever is ahead in the polls. Which in the last election would be Boris Johnson. It would appear you have what you wished for. Good for you

You well know that that is wilful misrepresentation .....I clearly invoked "the public" not "you and I ".

As to your last sentence... another reason you lost the election...pig headedness it seems.

You know full well what my allegiances are and always have been... I have stated them often enough , but you carry on .

After election night you said you were going to reflect upon the result. You clearly think that there was nothing to learn from the drubbing except do it again and do it harder.

I've watched the Hustings. To be fair, RLB is a little more poised but there is saying and there is doing and this contest is about leadership. There's a difference between a committed activist and a leader and I think this is where Starmer and perhaps Thornberry score. I think a leader mustn't just look like an everyday activist. This is where Corbyn fell I believe.

You well know that that is wilful misrepresentation .....I clearly invoked "the public" not "you and I ".

As to your last sentence... another reason you lost the election...pig headedness it seems.

You know full well what my allegiances are and always have been... I have stated them often enough , but you carry on .

After election night you said you were going to reflect upon the result. You clearly think that there was nothing to learn from the drubbing except do it again and do it harder.

Good for you !.. and that simple statement lost you the election.

To the voting public the reverse is true. They go for personality and unless you grasp that fact you will keep losing elections until the end of time.*

* You may think that that sucks but none the less that is what you have to work with.

Ideology = wilderness

I make that six ‘yous’ verses one ‘public’

RLB is a person Labour supporters will vote for. She’s not my first choice but I’d vote for her.

I doubt she’s the person that those who did not vote Labour will vote for.

Stephen

I'm afraid Starmer is coming across as uninspiring and not very good at thinking on his feet - probably the weakest of the candidates, in that respect. I have a lot of respect for him and he comes across as a thoroughly decent person, but I do think his leadership potential has been oversold.

I always think he would be a good chancellor where dull competence and mastery of detail is a good thing.

I'm sorry but the DM is irrelevant to her potential support base, the rag in question will be against whoever Labour elects as leader.

I'm sorry but the DM is irrelevant to her potential support base, the rag in question will be against whoever Labour elects as leader.
If you believe that our right wing press has no influence on opinions then I believe you’re very wrong

RLB is a person Labour supporters will vote for. She’s not my first choice but I’d vote for her.

I doubt she’s the person that those who did not vote Labour will vote for.

Stephen
Labour need to recoup votes they lost in the North & Midlands. I feel Starmer could well see more leave. He has that horrible Milliband arm thingy going on, robotic & dull as shite. Labour needs someone with passion to face up to Boris as Boris wins through on sheer personality as he has no detail to back up anything he claims. It's enough for now but without Brexit to hang onto come 2024 I feel someone with a passionate approach & concise detail will win the day.

If you believe that our right wing press has no influence on opinions then I believe you’re very wrong
That is not what I said & you know it. This whole right wing press decides elections speil is rather wearing. The DMs effect on Labour leaning voters is, I would suggest, marginal.

Surely members of the party are above such manipulation otherwise they wouldn't be members?

we can at least expect some help from the Tories and their reliable combination of unpleasantness and incompetence.

LOL. I think we can expect the current crop of tories to massively overachieve on those front. The combination of nasty ness and incompetence in the current Tory party exceeds anything I can remember in U.K. politics.

That is not what I said & you know it. This whole right wing press decides elections speil is rather wearing. The DMs effect on Labour leaning voters is, I would suggest, marginal.

Labour leaning-voters may not read the Mail, but they are exposed to DM propaganda via Social Media. If they voted Leave, or were in marginals, they would have been directly targeted.

As I said before, the physical paper's effect is diminishing. But the owner's propaganda is becoming more effective as it is fed, often anonymously, to many, many more voters.

Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back