advertisement

New washing machine- anyone bought a satisfactory one recently?

I believe the cheapest Miele is sealed drum, so if the bearing goes, then it will likely be not economic to repair.

I had one Miele, but when it broke after 12 years, the cost of repair was as much as to buy a mid range Bosch. Miele repair is expensive out of warranty, as you can only use Miele to fix it.

Now on my 2nd Bosch since, £400 mark seems to be the right price point for a decent one.

We bought a Samsung Eco Bubble thingymajig a few years back, 5 years warranty at JL, even has a small door within the door to allow you to drop your smalls in even after washing cycle has begun. Once the cycle ends a little electronic tune tells you it has ended.

Probably need a replacement. Last two purchases were AEG where on both occasions that five year warranty had to be invoked but otherwise ok.
The items currently on JL website look like you get more unwanted complexity the more you spend, with attendant problems ( zero interest in load sensing, dose control etc). Just want something with a big load capacity, high spin speed and stable/ quiet while spinning.

I buy a lot of these things because I have rental properties. One bit of advice - there are two areas which you don’t mention where they aren’t all the same: the time the cycles take and the wash temperatures available.

I can’t recommend a brand except to say that I always buy the cheapest I can find with a fast spin and a large capacity, even for my own use. I’ve still got a ten year old cheapo Logik brand one in one house, no complaints from the tenants about it (not that I want to tempt fate!)

We bought a Samsung Eco Bubble thingymajig a few years back, 5 years warranty at JL, even has a small door within the door to allow you to drop your smalls in even after washing cycle has begun. Once the cycle ends a little electronic tune tells you it has ended.

Apparently it has manual adjustment of the temperature setting within the presets, also it has a 15mins wash cycle which apparently is a good feature.

Miele bought 4 years ago. Not a squeak of a problem - exceptionally reliable. 8kg load is enough. 1400rpm spin is great. Has a 15 min and 30 min setting. You can delay the wash for 9 hours too - really handy if you are out working and don't want a creased mess when you get home....

our Miele has needed one repair in about 12 years (and that was a door seal ripping due to us catching something in it). It does of course have all the useless features that OP describes so it would be a pointless recommendation.....

Did i say buy a Miele.

https://www.miele.co.uk/e/w1-front-...-360-wcs-pwash-and-9kg-lotus-white-11359280-p

oh and dont bother with JL, my recent experience of their customer service is pants
It’s a Miele we have, that we intend to replace,

Gone with another Bosch machine after 24 years. No repairs during that time. Only replaced it because of a leak and some options not working anymore!
I brought a Series 6 under £500 from JL. Never had a bad experience with JL with large household goods. Good service again from JL with a quick 15 minutes turnaround time.

I buy a lot of these things because I have rental properties. One bit of advice - there are two areas which you don’t mention where they aren’t all the same: the time the cycles take and the wash temperatures available.

I can’t recommend a brand except to say that I always buy the cheapest I can find with a fast spin and a large capacity, even for my own use. I’ve still got a ten year old cheapo Logik brand one in one house, no complaints from the tenants about it (not that I want to tempt fate!)
This is pretty much my thinking. Speed, capacity, simplicity, reliability.

Bosch Serie 4
EcoSilence Drive 8 kg loading here
As it’s in the kitchen we appreciate it’s quiet operation especially the final spin
Bought as it’s same range as fathers which is on 6+ years and going strong

Our washing machine is in a shed that is part of the house structure. It’s not heated and the atmosphere is salt laden, particularly in winter. Longest survivor is three and a bit years. We have been here 22 years and have had many makes, including Bosch and Samsung. We have come to think of it as part of the price of ‘astonishing sea views’ :)

Got an Electrolux in a flat which is well over 10 years old . When it fails it will be replaced by a Bosch washer dryer .

My 9 kg Miele WWG660 is superbly built and easy to use. Not having to worry about the detergent is a joy. I only buy it when it’s reduced and that’s 6 months worth of cartridges. It is really silent too, using a brushless motor.
It isn’t inexpensive, however.
If you like that sort of thing, there’s a convenient app too. It tells you when the washing is done and when you need to replace a cartridge, among other goodies that you definitely don’t want :)
Like you I didn’t want any gadgets (I chose myself though, I hate salespersons) and now I find myself praising them. Damn.

'it will be replaced by a Bosch washer dryer'

I dont like washer dryers. They use a lot of electricity and unnecessarily contribute to global warming - if not vented properly they can damage the room they are in. Hang stuff up and let our grand children live in a better world.

Easy to say when you have time and few or no kids.
I considered the dryer a blessing when the kids were still living with us.

Our first Miele lasted 10 years. The guy who brought its replacement was surprised that it hadn't lasted longer. But we pointed out that this thing had been in action every single day of that 10 years, often several time a day. Since the younger ladies vacated the premises about 15 years ago, this new one has had a relatively easy life and will last a lot longer. (I hasten to add that most washing machines here in Swizzieland run on 400V 3-phase current, so the motors are bigger and more robust than the UK ones).

We have a similar model but without the 'smalls drawer'. It's practically silent in use - the annoying tune is loudest bit and that can be switched off. It handles 8kg loads and will compensate for smaller loads. Bought from JL and also activated a 10 year warranty on the motor. I can't fault it really.

5 year old Hoover here
No issues and 9kg load and washing very dry from 1600 spin

Daughter No1 bought the Hoover washer/dryer version on our recommendation 3yrs ago...no issues
Daughter No2 bought exactly the same as her sister 1 year ago ....no issues

Think ours was about £280ish?
I always buy the "on offer" brand with the least "features" on it

LG Direct Drive, my first one lasted 15 years

Just checked my receipts. LG 1100, 7kg, £360 delivered/installed; bought Nov. '03. Bearings started to get noisy before the 5 year guarantee was up but realised it was parts only. Think the bearings have worn round again, as after 17.5 years, it's doing a grand job. No repairs and poor maintenance. THIS MACHINE HAS GOT SEOUL ! To my mind, it has no 38th Parallel, and the quality of rust holding it together is remarkable.

The reliable alternative is a wash-board, stream and elbow grease. Advantage here is that you can use the wash-board in a skiffle group when not in laundry mode.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back