advertisement

New TT.... maybe last one.

What about the new Vertere dg1s, think it’s about 4K and add a decent cart. I really like the look of it. Not sure if anyone has heard one?

Vertere DG-1S Turntable Review | AVForums

Vertere DG-1 S review: evolved turntable remains a class leader | What Hi-Fi? (whathifi.com)

vertere-dg-s1-white-15.jpg

How about adding the Acoustand twin arm plinth to your 1200G that would allow you to add 2 further arms including a 12” one. You will retain all the speed stability of your 1200G then.

https://www.acoustand.co.uk/product...echnics-sl-1200-series-turntables-new-product

A882321C_335B_44A5_8329_98A55E500911_massive.jpeg

How about this plinth from Acoustand for a total of three tonearms for your 1200G? I know it will make your spiffy 1200G have a ginormous footprint but it leaves plenty of money for really good tonearms if your budget is £6K.

Acoustand also make other plinths that look better than the pregnant and overthought Artisan Fidelity ones.

This looks interesting - but might be too big for the shelf. Feet would need to be adjustable so I can get it properly level too..... I may very well get in touch with Acoustand about this.

Anybody got views on Clearaudio? They have a package of their Performance deck with the TT5 linear tracking tonearm which looks very interesting.

Yes, I would make sure to contact Acoustand as I am pretty sure they can make you a slimmer plinth without the back panel for a third arm. A sliding arm base or exchangeable arm bases for 9+10.5+12 inch arms would be possible to the left of your turntable.

The legs need not be positioned in each corner - so you could place it on a shelf with a smaller footprint than the turntable.

The Clearaudio Performance DC with a TT5 arm ought to be quite good.

Sp1000r on Facebook ( can’t seem to copy link) £11k, includes ply transit box which I’m led to believe the new ones don’t have.

I’ve heard one in an unfamiliar system and was impressed, not enough to sell my hoard for one, but no fun in just 1 tt.

FWIW no matter how much money I had to spend my choice would be either a Garrard 301 or Thorens TD-124! Both brought a level of contentment I never found with the almost revolving-door procession of belt-drive decks that preceded them, and as stated previously I just found the 1200G too ‘dead’ somehow, which I think is how I feel about large SMEs and other high-mass decks. I’d add EMT idlers to the list too, the 930 and 927 are wonderful things, but personally I don’t like the idea of being locked-in with arms and carts, and these days a good restored one is multiples of the figure being discussed here. You can always find a quieter deck than an idler, but I just really like the way they play music. If I wanted something else I’d own it!

That Stabi looks a bit of a mashup..... why would you not have a Kuzma arm on it? Also a great example of hifi inflation as I seem to think a Stabi/Stogi s combination was about £2k new ten years ago. All manfacturers seem to have bumped prices up massively.

Anyway have been talking to Acoustand about that plinth for the 1200G.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Right - thanks to @poco a poco and @Rosewind for pointing out Acoustand, I've ordered that plinth but with a narrower back so will just have the armboard on the left for a 12" arm. I did once think about making free-standing pod for a 12" arm but then ensuring it was perfectly allgned with the plane of the platter would have been a headache.

Getting there.... still waiting for the plinth so here's a lashup with the 12" arm (groovemaster II courtesy of @Ammonite Audio) ..... not ideal as the vice holding the arm is not going to be under same compliance or in exact same plane as the turntable itself. But one day my plinth will come...

52670369282_1d04e12ebc_c.jpg

52670872241_9139820ecf_c.jpg

Threads like this make me realise a) how much is out there in turntable land that I still haven't heard and b) how much I am growing to detest turntables with silly plinths. The skeletal designs from Rega and Michell seem so much more elegant and 'right' from an engineering perspective too. But it's all just personal opinion at the end of the day and I have found even that changes, I owned an LP12 for 25 years and loved it, but aesthetically it wouldn't get through my front door these days. On the subject of the good old Technics it's only recently I got to listen to one in a proper system and I was very impressed... for some reason I didn't expect to be... don't know why,

Getting there.... still waiting for the plinth so here's a lashup with the 12" arm (groovemaster II courtesy of @Ammonite Audio) ..... not ideal as the vice holding the arm is not going to be under same compliance or in exact same plane as the turntable itself. But one day my plinth will come...

52670369282_1d04e12ebc_c.jpg

52670872241_9139820ecf_c.jpg

That made me laugh out loud , absolutely brilliant love it,pure genius.

advertisement

Back