advertisement

New TT.... maybe last one.

alanbeeb

pfm Member
I've had my Technics 1200G since Jan 2017 - nearly 6 years which is an absolute record for me keeping any one component. So it must have made me happy.

I just fancy a change maybe.... maybe up to around £6k for deck and arm. I quite like the idea of a 12" arm, I've had a few before on other tables. Any suggestions? fairly broad range of music including classical and solo piano so speed stability is an absolute must.

Or alternatively - maybe I should just change something on the techie - a different arm: maybe a PU7 or a SupaTrac? Has anyone put a Rega RB3000 on a techie 1200G? Would like to know if that was worthwhile.

I've had my Technics 1200G since Jan 2017 - nearly 6 years which is an absolute record for me keeping any one component. So it must have made me happy.

I just fancy a change maybe.... maybe up to around £6k for deck and arm. I quite like the idea of a 12" arm, I've had a few before on other tables. Any suggestions? fairly broad range of music including classical and solo piano so speed stability is an absolute must.

Or alternatively - maybe I should just change something on the techie - a different arm: maybe a PU7 or a SupaTrac? Has anyone put a Rega RB3000 on a techie 1200G? Would like to know if that was worthwhile.
How about adding the Acoustand twin arm plinth to your 1200G that would allow you to add 2 further arms including a 12” one. You will retain all the speed stability of your 1200G then.

https://www.acoustand.co.uk/product...echnics-sl-1200-series-turntables-new-product

Is there anything sonically that you fancy changing about the 1200G?

How about visiting a few dealers to hear 3 or 4 wildly different TTs? If the result is that you go home and greet the sound of the 1200G with unalloyed relief, there is your answer.

Why not hear 3 or 4 of these: -
1. LP12 - Selekt spec - I know it's outside your budget but you wouldn't actually buy a new one would you? Given the speed comment, you want Lingo 4 or Radikal PS.
2. Vertere DG-1
3. Rega P10.
4. Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace
5. Well-Tempered Versalex
6. Michell Orbe

If the whole process just wastes 2 afternoons and reinforces how much you like your 1200G, job done.

Last edited:
A good shout, Simon. Something like this?
2F3A4403+copy.jpeg

I'd agree with you re. 12" arms; sure-footed, ergonomic and tactile; can't see me reverting to 9". That gets rid of a lot of decks, esp. suspended (Orbe, e.g.). For your money, N.A.'s Dais comes in to tick all your boxes AND afford the luxury of another arm if so wished. Bullet-proof and stable, but the downside (?) is that once assembled, you can't move it without disassembly! Exc. and cheap service and spares/ancillaries too.

Aesthetics? Well, you can't have everything !:D

I have a 1200G and a Rega P10. The Rega is better at detail retrieval and resolves complex passages better than the 1200G, so putting an RB3000 on your 1200G might be a nice idea.

A882321C_335B_44A5_8329_98A55E500911_massive.jpeg

How about this plinth from Acoustand for a total of three tonearms for your 1200G? I know it will make your spiffy 1200G have a ginormous footprint but it leaves plenty of money for really good tonearms if your budget is £6K.

Acoustand also make other plinths that look better than the pregnant and overthought Artisan Fidelity ones.

If you like piano music, I feel that some of the decks being discussed here might be a downgrade from a 1200G.

If I'm honest I did not feel that my short sessions listening to an SL-1000R in an unfamiliar system revealed a clear advantage over my souped up 1210 Mk5. It did reveal that the pricey magnesium arm can be beat at a much more modest price.

Well Tempered decks are superb, but again, the arm can be beat.

The question is whether you just want a different turntable to look at for a change, or a higher level of musical insight. If the latter, try a few top arms on your pretty faultless deck.

advertisement

Back