advertisement

New SBL foam grills – Do you prefer listening with or without?

I personally would spend the extra on the nicer grills. An awful lot of time can be spent looking at speakers over the years & a minor niggle can become a major bugbear.

So, SBL grilles from Tomtom are out coz they're too expensive....
grilles from Markie are out coz they're not accurate, and if you look really really carefully, in the right light, you can just make out the join......and I was looking at mine this morning!

Looks like it's going to be the little pile of black dust on the floor then :D

And I never liked the sculpted foams on our Briks either! So there, yah boo :p:D:D

Funny aside: Many years ago (pre kids, I think) my wife and I were listening to something or other on the Briks, and watched as the front foam split into two from the top and one half gently, and tastefully, rolled forward, split all the way down and ended up on the floor.... At that time (late '80s or early '90s) a set of Linn replacements was £110.

Grilles from Markie are out coz they're not accurate, and if you look really really carefully, in the right light, you can just make out the join......and I was looking at mine this morning!

It's not just the look of the glued together grilles.

Foam grilles already dampen the sound more than cloth grilles. On Isobarik grilles there will be three layers of foam glued together so that's two layers of glue in some places. The central rib on the front grille goes right over the tweeter and will have a layer of glue holding it on...

Interesting I was part of the original listening panel when it was released
Roy George
Guy Lamote
Julian V
Paul S
Mark T
Peter TD
And Moi
We all came to the same conclusion
Go ON go ON Go ON

You get some amazing info on PF. It's good to know.

It's not just the look of the glued together grilles.

Foam grilles already dampen the sound more than cloth grilles. On Isobarik grilles there will be three layers of foam glued together so that's two layers of glue in some places. The central rib on the front grille goes right over the tweeter and will have a layer of glue holding it on...

Er, the centre section of the front grille (which will go over the tweeter) is the thinnest part.........they get thicker towards the sides.

In my main London setup I still have my EPOS ES14. I brought them second-hand from The London Sound Organisation back in the mid-90s. It cost me a few £££ back in early HiFi days but boy have they turned out to be tremendous value and still going strong. They never came with grills and strangely I never seen a pair of ES14 ever with grills on. Never wondered if they would sound different with grills on!

Er, the centre section of the front grille (which will go over the tweeter) is the thinnest part.........they get thicker towards the sides.

So it is, you're right. But you still have two layers of foam and one layer of glue just to the side of that. I don't know how much of an effect that might have but I don't want more material in front of the drivers than is necessary. The SBL grilles will be different, all of the glued area is well outside of the drivers, but on Briks the bass driver will have one or two layers of glue in front of all but the center couple of inches.

They never came with grills and strangely I never seen a pair of ES14 ever with grills on.

I've never seen a pair with grilles on either. I don't even know if they come with grilles. A lot of speakers are voiced without grilles and sound fine that way. Old Linn and Naim speakers weren't. Particularly the Scanspeak treble unit, really likes a grille. LS3/5A, very highly regarded speaker, never see those used without grilles. Linn even glued the Kan grille on, big hint.

Well I am going to the placing foam in the frame I have covered with cloth so will still look like cloth but have some foam behind it. Advice I have been given is to pack foam around the top and sides but no need to do dead centre?

advertisement

Back