Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

New SBL foam grills – Do you prefer listening with or without?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Manket, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Manket

Manket New member NainMan

Just received a set from itsmarkie today and they look perfectly made and delivered less than 4 days.
    Markie was recommended to me by Witch Hat Audio.

I purchased them primarily because of the risk of “little” fingers poking into the naked speakers especially the tweeters! I must say since purchasing my SBL this year I have been enjoying the music without grills.

Hoping to see what affects when I get back to my Swiss home after Lockdown 2.

IMO probably reduces the brightness of the sounds.

In anticipation, do you guys prefer with the grills on or off?

2. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

They were designed for grilles on.

Midlandaudiox likes this.
  3. peterm

peterm pfm Member

Can you bear to listen to the ugly buggers with the grilles off?

The only sight worse than the front view of naked sbls is surely the rear view!

Midlandaudiox likes this.
  4. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

I've never owned SBLs but Kans, Saras and Isobariks are similarly voiced and I've always preferred them with the grilles on. You lose a little detail but the music is more coherent and flows better.

5. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

They look really elegant with grills on but rather industrial without

Midlandaudiox, Manket and peterm like this.
  6. puddlesplasher

puddlesplasher pfm Member

Always been grills on and I purchased a new pair fromitsmarkie last year. Good product and nice price

Midlandaudiox and Manket like this.
  7. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

Where did you buy these grilles? I could do with new grilles for my Briks. The reproduction ones I bought from Korea years ago are turning to dust.

Musicman19 likes this.
  8. Manket

To my eyes they beautiful speakers to look at without the grills. Industrial tech I like! However, when I did briefly put the terribly crumbling grills that came with it, they did look rather all dark with black ash. My wife didn’t like look but loved the music it makes!

9. Manket

Got mine from markie and he does Linn as well.

http://www.speakergrills.co.uk/foam.htm

10. suzywong

suzywong Wot, no electrons?

Markie's SBL grilles?

ON!

Mr Underhill likes this.
  11. suzywong

suzywong Wot, no electrons?

For Briks, we got our most recent grilles from Wilmsloiw Audio. They're not foam but "cloth on frame", so they are "flat" rather than sculpted... but they look OK, and they don't crumble into dust like our three previous sets :D

12. say it as it is

say it as it is pfm Member

still to try the foam in the frame and grilles for the tweeter, think I will leave the driver just frame and cloth.

13. onlyconnect

onlyconnect pfm Member

On :)

As designed.

Tim

14. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

I've seen those grilles before but they don't look very accurate. They look like they're assembled out of several layers of thin foam rather than cut from one piece of thick foam.

I wouldn't buy cloth on frame grilles as they're really easy and cheap to make. Years ago I actually bought the wood and cloth to make cloth grilles for my Briks and I still have it! I much prefer the period look of the foam grilles.

15. nobeone

nobeone pfm Member

Top box foams on, bottom box foams off.

16. Midlandaudiox

Midlandaudiox Trade: Midland Audio X-Change

Interesting I was part of the original listening panel when it was released
    Roy George
    Guy Lamote
    Julian V
    Paul S
    Mark T
    Peter TD
    And Moi
    We all came to the same conclusion
    Go ON go ON Go ON

Manket, MJS, Woodface and 2 others like this.
  17. nobeone

nobeone pfm Member

Only Tom Tom Audio can provide one piece foams as far as I know and they are £££ something like £175 IIRC.

Markie's are indeed two pieces stuck together. They are much better in the flesh than perhaps they look in photos you have seen. You have to get very close and inspect carefully to see the join at all on my set. Not invisible but damn near. Very reasonable price and a great guy to deal with, what more could you want?

Manket and suzywong like this.
  18. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

I don't consider that unreasonable for the four Isobarik grilles. I paid about that for my set from Korea.

However, I assumed that they had changed the formulation of the foam in the intervening years, now that the world was aware of the disintegration problem, and the new grilles would last longer. Nope. Same old shite!

Would I still buy them? Probably. They just don't look right any other way.

19. nobeone

nobeone pfm Member

Apologies, talking at sight cross purposes, I'm talking SBL foams, only now do I realise you are talking Briks, I consider £175 for some SBL foams daft when Markie's are very nice for less than 1/3 ...

20. nobeone

nobeone pfm Member

Just checked £194 ... o_O