advertisement

New Rega Nd7 Moving Magnet cartridge

Yeah, that Ear reviews states Rega still using their own torque wrench (0.4 Mn?) with these threaded bodies.

Interesting, there’s a lot of stuff that’s NOT in that review, but it sounds very promising, I still think the Nd5 is the one for me, just hope it comes along soon!

Interesting, there’s a lot of stuff that’s NOT in that review, but it sounds very promising, I still think the Nd5 is the one for me, just hope it comes along soon!
I'm sure it will. It'll just take them a while to produce enough stock of the things.

looking at the pictures, it does seem like there is a big uptick in build quality over the old cartridges.

The Ear review imples it's innovative in introducing 3-point fixing to its MMs, which is not true (my Exact has it).

Cool, but a little concerned about the threaded plastic body. I'm sure Rega are correct about it being strong enough but you just know that there will be some morons out there who will crank the heck out of it and strip the threads.
I wonder how many 'stripped threads' it takes before someone learns that one shouldn't take the 'scaffold pole assisted' approach to tightening machine screws in small threads?
I never cease to be amazed by the lack of mechanical empathy demonstrated by so many people, I learned very early on in my life that one could actually 'over-tighten' cotter pin nuts on bicycle cranks - I only did it once.
Regards
Mike K.

I wonder how many 'stripped threads' it takes before someone learns that one shouldn't take the 'scaffold pole assisted' approach to tightening machine screws in small threads?
Yes. I think it's naive to assume that people will follow your instructions. Don't think I've ever seen a carriage with threaded plastic before. I suspect there is a reason for that and Rega might come to regret their choice. Even the forty-quid VM95 has brass inserts.

I’ve worked in engineering all my life, so mechanical sympathy is natural to me, but as said, some folks seem to just break stuff without thought! 🤷‍♂️😀

Plastic? ...Glass Reinforced PPS is more like a Composite:

The specific material Rega uses is glass-fiber reinforced -up to 40%- polyphenylene sulfide (PPS) that offers improved strength, stiffness, fatigue resistance, and a number of other desirable mechanical properties over PPS alone. Compared to other engineering plastics in the same price category, PPS plastics exhibit high tensile strength. This means the material can withstand high levels of stress before breaking. PPS compounds (typically glass reinforced grade composites) are used in medical applications such as surgical instruments and device components as well as auto parts that require high dimensional stability, strength, longevity and heat resistance.

...This material is more than adequate to repeatedly handle Rega's recommended screw torque & the common Hex-Head cartridge screw head would probably twist & shear off before the threaded hole in this material fails.

advertisement

Back