advertisement

New Rega Nd7 Moving Magnet cartridge

I have it on my Exact/ Planar 3. As the PU gets closer to the motor you can hear a faint hum when nothing is playing.
I would prefer it not to be there although it doesn’t impact the sound quality for me.

I had an Exact, and other Rega MM carts, on several turntables and never noticed any hum. If there is any it must be faint and hardly what I'd describe as a problem. Only cart I can think of with noticeable hum is a Grado.

I have it on my Exact/ Planar 3. As the PU gets closer to the motor you can hear a faint hum when nothing is playing.
I would prefer it not to be there although it doesn’t impact the sound quality for me.
Hi kris if you`re experiencing hum/noise from your rega turntable with certain carts you can try these to fix your issue.

Your method of checking for noise is good but if your rega turntable is close(within 1 meter)to a speaker you will probably pick up hum as rega motors are NOT shielded(not on p3 downwards anyway)as it`s just a plastic motor cover. Now how to test if it`s a "close proximity" issue(this applies to toroid transformers and the like,pwr & signal cables etc.)you just have to safely move your turntable close to the "issues" at hand and listen to see if the hum/noise gets LOUDER.
There`s also airborne and structural vibrations the "rega way" of dealing with this is with a wall shelf which apparently is an Excellent way,but not convenient for a lot of us rega owners. So I use two things,initially a pro-ject ground-it e base for(important)leveling and isoacoustic orea`s footers. These two together made a big difference but I also covered the plastic motor cover with faraday tape making sure NOT TO cover the vent holes. The (turntable)motor sits about 45cm away from the nearest speaker,toroid,any electrical equipment, pwr cables etc.there is no hum before 12 o`clock on my pre-amp dial when the arm is resting on the runout groove with a mc cartridge,IT WENT ALL THE WAY AROUND when I last tested with a mm cart and the turntable w/support sits on top of a wooden side cabinet which resonantes like crazy.

So basically keep your rega away from "interference" and you`ll be good,hope this helps!

I know all those things :) I have put a Humbugger on my P3 to mitigate the problem abd that helped a lot. As I wrote not really a problem , but would still prefer if it wasn't a problem at all.

On the other hand it is a reason to buy a Planar 6 next time. 😄

I'm sure it'll be new and or informative to some people. He's had 2000 views already. I learnt that the stylus guard design is a bit unfit for purpose...

Yeah, that video is a bit of a waste of time. Doesn't tell you anything new. What we do want is some impressions of what the carts sound like. If Rega sent me a cart I'd have it on a deck the same day, not be posting videos stating the obvious.
Haha given you like the Exact and the Ania pro i‘m really curious to have your opinion on the new nd range , especially the nd5/nd7 !
For the science ;)

I think à part of me want the nd7 to be even better than the Ania pro haha 😁
It’s basically the nude fine line stylus of the apheta 3 with the body of the Ania pro with the new Rega Nd MM technology 😁

If the ND3 is the new Elys 2 with elliptical tip, and ND5 is presumably the new Exact with Vital tip, I wonder what we get with the ND7.
Come on Rega, boron and microfine, you can do it!

advertisement

Back