advertisement

New Rega Nd7 Moving Magnet cartridge

Some info/pictures on the nd5/nd7

Nd3 on the website: LINK

Stylistically, I think I would have put the shielding inside the plastic cover but you can't deny that these guys are a big step up on the look of the old carts. These ones don't look like Little Tikes made them. Can't wait to hear some feedback on them.

Nd3 on the website: LINK

Stylistically, I think I would have put the shielding inside the plastic cover but you can't deny that these guys are a big step up on the look of the old carts. These ones don't look like Little Tikes made them. Can't wait to hear some feedback on them.
What do you mean? Are you certain that is not what they did?

What do you mean? Are you certain that is not what they did?
You can see the metal can over the back of the cartridge? I would have put that under the plastic. A very minor criticism and a matter of taste. It's a good looking cartridge as it is.
Very interesting! I am looking for a replacement cartridge. I'll see what the masses think.
What I would love to do is try one on the Ittok I have here. Rega cartridges were all but ignored by anyone not using a Rega turntable and I'd like to know if that's fair. I already have an RB3000/Ania Pro on an LP12 and it sounds brilliant.

I would also be interested in compatibility, or otherwise, with an Ittok - currently using a 10x5, so similar price band

I would also be interested in compatibility, or otherwise, with an Ittok - currently using a 10x5, so similar price band
Honestly, I want to try it. I can't justify buying one of these new cartridges just to see if it works but I'd love to get a review sample or something.

Nd5 is Vital profile which equal Exact,
Nd7 is "Fineline" and as such a new MM Rega level ?
By full specs is was more thinking of inductance/impedance as Rega mention that specifically as an advantage of the miniature coils - improving frequency response (and less susceptible to load perhaps?).

By full specs is was more thinking of inductance/impedance as Rega mention that specifically as an advantage of the miniature coils - improving frequency response (and less susceptible to load perhaps?).
I don't think the Nd55 magnets should be understated. These guys are the most powerful neodymium magnets available and a lot more powerful than conventional magnets. That's a really big deal because it will allow smaller magnets and reduce the moving mass of the cantilever assembly.

I expect these things to worry a lot of cheaper moving coil cartridges and I suspect the jump in performance is what's prompted Rega to fit their top stylus to one of them.

Yeah, low moving mass is interesting too - though they are sticking with alu cantilever on all 3 models (I'm sure they have their reasons for that).

Technics really pushed low mass in MM designs a long time ago with the EPC-100 models.

Yeah, low moving mass is interesting too - though they are sticking with alu cantilever on all 3 models (I'm sure they have their reasons for that).
One step at a time maybe. Besides, a lot of great cartridges have alloy cantilevers, it has a very likable sound.

The best I ever heard my Elys in my Ittok was when, for a short period I heard it with my Puresound P10. In other words the benefit came from its extra output, much higher than the normal input frm my step ups and MCs. I now use a P77 - will the Nds retain the healthy output of their predecessors ?

The best I ever heard my Elys in my Ittok was when, for a short period I heard it with my Puresound P10. In other words the benefit came from its extra output, much higher than the normal input frm my step ups and MCs. I now use a P77 - will the Nds retain the healthy output of their predecessors ?
No. Looks like it's well over a mV down. Not that the output is low. It's in the same ballpark as other MM carts and higher than many.

advertisement

Back