advertisement

new Rega Aethos amplifier

PBB wrote I don't see the sense in having a 162 wpc amp and a 105 wpc amp and now a 156 wpc amp.

The 156W figure is into 6 ohms whilst the Elicit and Osiris values are into 8 ohms. The new amp puts out 126W into 8 ohms so seems well judged to me. Of course its okay to comment on appearance and features in advance of it being launched but as nobody on here has actually heard it yet then all I hear is the sound of axes being ground together.

Including mine. I like Rega who appear to operate free of ego and certainly bend over backwards for the consumer on these pages and in my dealings with them also. A great British success story - hell they even still manufacture their products here in the UK.

Ray
Standardized measurements would be nice. 6 or 8 ohms, these amps are pretty well bunched up power-wise.

Here in the UK we don't get hung up on output figures for power amps so much. Mostly on account of the pokey, little lounges/living rooms/music dens where we eek out an existence in between shifts down't pit/up't mill or in between rioting for/against Brexit.

Instead, we give the thing a good listening and from there make a judgement based mostly on sound quality. Nobody I know has yet listened to the new Rega amp.

Ray

Hi fi has become ridiculous. Prices like everything have gone through the roof.
My point is that my exposure 15 super is an amazing integrated that has a killer phono stage and retailed for 750 quid back in the day and can be had for 200-300 pounds on the used market. I feel having to spend 3000 pounds on an integrated without a phono stage a bit of a miss especially when they have thrown in a headphone amp

It certainly seems that certain UK companies who have been around for decades and are household names amongst audiophiles (yeah I've answered my own point there but only to those of a certain POV) can get away with charging maybe double the price of some other equally competent product from a less well established and possibly non UK based manufacturer and still have buyers queuing up to pay over the odds! To some it seems brand name is everything....

Just look at the amount of chatter on here every time a new product from Linn, Naim or Rega is even suspected, let alone announced! A recent Naim thread comes to mind.. do we know yet what the new product is? Has a star risen in the south guiding the faithful to Salisbury? It wouldn't be a transformer taking up one corner in a box of fresh air for £4000 maybe? Obviously worth it cos it says Naim on it:D

When an engineer, technician, industrial designer etc gets a job offer from one of these companies are they struck with a bolt of extra talent and inspiration by the almighty himself? Have Marks & Spencer's gone into component manufacturing? Cos I can almost hear flat earthers (after seeping a little wee) giving it "these aren't just any resistors and capacitors...."

If a 6 man firm in lets say Sweden announced the first perfect pulsating sphere loudspeaker that made all others seem toys it would get less attention on here than Naim announcing that they are going back to CB casework!:rolleyes:

I
Just look at the amount of chatter on here every time a new product from Linn, Naim or Rega is even suspected, let alone announced! A recent Naim thread comes to mind.. do we know yet what the new product is? Has a star risen in the south guiding the faithful to Salisbury? It wouldn't be a transformer taking up one corner in a box of fresh air for £4000 maybe? Obviously worth it cos it says Naim on it:D

Indeed. Though to be fair I'm a bit less down on Rega about it, because at least we know that when the amazing news is finally announced and the trumpeting stops... it won't be just a TV sound bar.

It certainly seems that certain UK companies who have been around for decades and are household names amongst audiophiles (yeah I've answered my own point there but only to those of a certain POV) can get away with charging maybe double the price of some other equally competent product from a less well established and possibly non UK based manufacturer and still have buyers queuing up to pay over the odds! To some it seems brand name is everything....

When an engineer, technician, industrial designer etc gets a job offer from one of these companies are they struck with a bolt of extra talent and inspiration by the almighty himself? Have Marks & Spencer's gone into component manufacturing? Cos I can almost hear flat earthers (after seeping a little wee) giving it "these aren't just any resistors and capacitors...."

If a 6 man firm in lets say Sweden announced the first perfect pulsating sphere loudspeaker that made all others seem toys it would get less attention on here than Naim announcing that they are going back to CB casework!:rolleyes:

You certainly don't want your industry to prosper do you!

Brands don't just happen, they are a result of longevity, reputation, heritage etc. People will pay a premium for a brands they trust & residuals are a major factor. This thread has run to 4 pages as people are interested in a new products from a manufacturer they value & trust. I think it great that certain British manufacturers have built worldwide reputations & are able to charge a premium. Some just know the cost of everything & the value of nothing.

Brands don't just happen, they are a result of longevity, reputation, heritage etc. People will pay a premium for a brands they trust & residuals are a major factor. This thread has run to 4 pages as people are interested in a new products from a manufacturer they value & trust. I think it great that certain British manufacturers have built worldwide reputations & are able to charge a premium. Some just know the cost of everything & the value of nothing.

You couldn't make it up. Yeah put the same parts in a box with a "big brand name" to it and everything becomes twice as good and is worth double.

You couldn't make it up. Yeah put the same parts in a box with a "big brand name" to it and everything becomes twice as good and is worth double.
Not what I said. Products need to be marketed, dealers have to take a margin, R&D is involved. The material cost of anything is always massively less than list price. This is just how business works. Rega have been in business for 40 years plus, they appear to know what they are doing. Maybe, just maybe they know more than you Jez;)

Not what I said. Products need to be marketed, dealers have to take a margin, R&D is involved. The material cost of anything is always massively less than list price. This is just how business works. Rega have been in business for 40 years plus, they appear to know what they are doing. Maybe, just maybe they know more than you Jez;)

Gee I'd never heard of marketing, dealer margins and R & D budgets! Thanks Captain Obvious!
Yeah they know loads more than me about getting people to buy overpriced gear... well they've had good teachers from Glasgow and Salisbury but they would have added another £1000 to make a round figure.. about designing good amps.. nah:p:)

Is your last sentence not just the opposite of what you want it to say? I always believed, and still do, that it is about people idealizing money and drinking by the label to gain personal standing from their fantasy of what constitutes their peers. Hmmmm...

Is your last sentence not just the opposite of what you want it to say? I always believed, and still do, that it is about people idealizing money and drinking by the label to gain personal standing from their fantasy of what constitutes their peers. Hmmmm...
I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean

Gee I'd never heard of marketing, dealer margins and R & D budgets! Thanks Captain Obvious!
Yeah they know loads more than me about getting people to buy overpriced gear... well they've had good teachers from Glasgow and Salisbury but they would have added another £1000 to make a round figure.. about designing good amps.. nah:p:)
Which dealers stock your well designed, high value, market leading designs? Always easy to snipe from the sidelines;)

I agree that some brands are well overpriced given the sum of the parts, the fact that they have hardly changed their design for years and years, very little advertising and the sum of the parts inside are pennies compared to what they retail for. I'm not thinking of entirely new products but in particular power supplies, power amps etc from some manufacturers. However I don't see Rega in this light, I think what they make is excellent and very reasonable in price. Some think the new amp is expensive but with respect nobody has listened to it yet!

However I don't see Rega in this light, I think what they make is excellent and very reasonable in price.

I thought the Planar 3 looked like poor value for money in the 70s. My memory's vague, but I think it was around £180 in '77 - which corresponds to around £1,000 these days. That seems a lot of money for what was probably a low cost bill of materials.

Whilst I would not underestimate the cost of manufacturing in the UK including R&D, cost of tooling and case (as previously mentioned), making/buying circuit boards, margins for dealers never mind the one for Rega ...

Unfortunately for Rega choice is huge these days. Whilst a 'minority'* are willing to pay the extra for the UK bit many want a bit more than that. If Rega would come out with something amazing and innovative for their top products, fair enough.

I hope they will continue for a long time but also hope they evolve somehow. Everyone else in tech, Hifi aside, has to.

* Perhaps this is more aimed at the Asian markets? This could do well in China. Made in Britain still seems to be held in high regard.

I thought the Planar 3 looked like poor value for money in the 70s. My memory's vague, but I think it was around £180 in '77 - which corresponds to around £1,000 these days. That seems a lot of money for what was probably a low cost bill of materials.
Today its £625 and sound for pound I think you would struggle to beat that

I think Mr Arkless needs to pop into his local hi fi emporium. Rega are usually at the bottom end of any component grouping for a given spec. If you shop around through Yamaha, Onkyo, and maybe Cambridge you may match the specs for a bit less money, then look at the residual value when you want to swap and see what has actually cost you the most.

advertisement

Back