advertisement

new Rega Aethos amplifier

Drummerman, I think you come from a different place to some. So many people these days have DACs, CD players with DAC inputs, streamers with DAC inputs, standalone phono stages etc etc etc that at this level including cut-price versions of same would allow accusations of wasting money where it isn't needed.

What you're getting here is a high power, high quality amplifier with (thankfully) a headphone socket, at a price that undercuts rivals from Naim, Leema, PMC and others. The Roksan Blak is the only similar offering at the same price level among British amps.

As far as 'exciting it ain't' - you haven't heard it. No-one outside Rega has. So why the negativity? If it turns out to be a dog, fair enough.

There is always someone who either knows a bit of info that the majority does not or just slags something off because they can.

There is always someone who either knows a bit of info that the majority does not or just slags something off because they can.

I guess I'm becoming more cynical about hifi/cost with age ... .

As to the 'British made' argument by another poster, is that enough to excuse high price with no added value elsewhere?

Plenty of amazing stuff coming from elsewhere. Great choice these days.

Sticking to British made though, some manufacturers like Naim and Kef took risks and innovated rather than continuing to evolve rather boring designs. The result, products that will appeal to many more than Legacy Hifi but are perhaps snubbed by Audiophiles.

I think it's designed (rightly in my view) as a pure analogue amp, as per the Supernait 2. There are so many phono stages and dac/streamers around now, why waste the money?

Too many boxes. Less is more these days, and, as Cereal Killer has pointed out, you need to appeal to a newer generation, not just the hair shirt brigade.

I always figured that what was needed were new separates with the power amp producing real power for the North American market.

I don't see the sense in having a 162 wpc amp and a 105 wpc amp and now a 156 wpc amp.

Is the Osiris being dropped?

Oh, and while I am in this negative frame of mind, I hate and detest mythical sounding names for audio equipment.

On the design of the Osiris case: it is a beautiful looking product. One would hope that your washing machine has such a look.

My two bits from Canader!

I don't think Rega will make a soundbar if thats what drummerman argue.

They dominate massively on turntable market
Entrylevel and P8 upwards

Guess Aethos range is an attempt to grab some Supernait, or pre/power Naim owners which allready have Rega sources and perhaps want to reduce box count.

I expect a Streamer and/or CD player in same range and are happy they not jumped the All-in-one wagon.

Last edited:
I don't see the sense in having a 162 wpc amp and a 105 wpc amp and now a 156 wpc amp.

Is the Osiris being dropped?

!

I agree on wattage it looks strange, probably the end of Osiris

156w or 162w says nothing of soundquality really.

Hi fi has become ridiculous. Prices like everything have gone through the roof.
My point is that my exposure 15 super is an amazing integrated that has a killer phono stage and retailed for 750 quid back in the day and can be had for 200-300 pounds on the used market. I feel having to spend 3000 pounds on an integrated without a phono stage a bit of a miss especially when they have thrown in a headphone amp

My point is that my exposure 15 super is an amazing integrated that has a killer phono stage and retailed for 750 quid back in the day and can be had for 200-300 pounds on the used market. I feel having to spend 3000 pounds on an integrated without a phono stage a bit of a miss especially when they have thrown in a headphone amp

Agree.

Perceived value on paper seems questionable for this bare bone product.

On the other hand, the Brio seems entirely reasonable.

I am sure the cost of case tooling plays a part. They somehow have to recover that.

Economy of scale n'all that.

I would think they sell one of these for every few hundred Brios.

A S/h Exposure XV is certainly an excellent amplifier but decades old by now
It was priced in the region of a new Elicit/R money today, if not more.

I believe most potential Aethos customers allready have a phonostage, I applause this leave decision but have no real interest in the headphone plug

Not that I am defending silly prices but the "gone through roof" prices many other manufacturers seem much more out of reach IMO
Such as some Naim, Vertere and Chord cables, certain Ortofon MC cartridges and 555 powersupplies, amo.

There is a market for very expensive kit, apart from Naiad, Rega is not in that club

Rega is not in the silly expensive league No. I know a few danish manufactures that sets the Price high or else it wont sell in asia, russia or USA. But the sound is not better than, lets say elicit r.
I think the new aethos looks real Nice. If i had not just bought a Sugden a21, i would try this one. I might do anyway, ohh No. I just love great integ. Amps. I think they Are on track with this amp. No gimmicks, just pure amp. Love it old school.

PBB wrote I don't see the sense in having a 162 wpc amp and a 105 wpc amp and now a 156 wpc amp.

The 156W figure is into 6 ohms whilst the Elicit and Osiris values are into 8 ohms. The new amp puts out 126W into 8 ohms so seems well judged to me. Of course its okay to comment on appearance and features in advance of it being launched but as nobody on here has actually heard it yet then all I hear is the sound of axes being ground together.

Including mine. I like Rega who appear to operate free of ego and certainly bend over backwards for the consumer on these pages and in my dealings with them also. A great British success story - hell they even still manufacture their products here in the UK.

Ray

advertisement

Back