Advent 300
GAS Ampzilla
Dahlquist DQ-10's
ADS 710 / 810
Polk Audio Monitor 7 / Monitor 10
Cizek Model One and Two
Onkyo TX-4500 MKII
Yamaha CR-820

We may be surprised: 303 with class D modules, the 33, source switching relays and a digital gain control, no pot.

If you zoom in to the control area it does actually say bass - tone - tilt, and I think the last may say balance, hard to read it.

Also looks like the entire panel there might be illuminated perhaps. So long as there's no hint of any laser bright blue LEDs!!! ;)

Quad did exhibit an 8 panel ESL at Munich a few years ago, though non functioning.

Not heard anything since.

Found this FWIW.

I heard them. I showed them! I thought they sounded pretty good. More of a refinement of the 2812 rather than a completely new model the reason is has the X designation.
The best Quad ever built IMHO by a fair margin. The improvements in dynamic capability, weight, grip, slam in the bottom still has me stunned. I can slam down on my Yello at 102dB+ peak levels and never shut them down and they do not sound the least bit stressed or strained. In fact I have yet to shut them down no matter how hard I bang on them.
At home I am using the 2912X driven by an ARC Reference 160S amp incredible combo for sure!
Full disclosure I'm an authorized Quad dealer so take my comments with the proverbial grain of salt!

Arcam are owned by the same parent company as JBL who already have there own range of retro amps so I wouldn't rule it out!

https://uk.jbl.com/electronics/SA550.html
Samsung seem to own half the world of technology these days. Its certainly possible. I originally bought an A60 because it was a nice form factor for a relatively narrow shelf in an alcove, the sleek form would certainly be a marketable alternative against the Nait and Quad styling.

Thanks for the links 👍
Both pages come up broken unfortunately maybe because I'm not on Facebook?

here is matt shepards site https://www.quadify.co.uk/
The quad fm3 has also been done by various people,on the quad hifi facebook book page,been a member a longtime and its worth a visit.
There is a little community chat also on matts site and support.....
I consider most streamers and dacs throwaway once repairs are needed,hence a wiim mini and smsl su1 dac,cheap as chips and fantastic.
By building it the way matt does you have a understanding of the parts involved and can swap out parts and keep it running.....

The thing that turns me off a lot of modern kit is the use of surface mount devices.

Most vintage quad stuff has circuit diagrams.

These will be made in china and no diagrams released.

I love my Quad stuff but there stance is changing,a 909 circuit diagram and qmp diagram are not out there and their repair costs are getting dearer...

I just dont see a lot of modern kit lasting as long...

Got bitten by a full cyrus system that gradually failed,repairer said get rid of it on ebay.

Mentioned that he would needed to use 3d goggles to repair it and cyrus wont release the diagrams....

I popped the hood and components were bent towards heatsinks and horribly miniaturized all in a unvented case...

I am now very fussy on what i buy as i hate waste,its bad enough with laptops and phones etc,etc.

Obviously Quad has to survive as business in the current climate..

Back in the day people owned Quad equipment for a very longtime...

if not there lifetime and Peter walker was not renowned for releasing different models for the sake of it..

Last edited:
Surface mount components are easier to repair than through hole. Easier to remove, less likely to damage the PCB in doing so. The repairability of kit is down to other issues IMHO and these include:

IP of your design, publishing circuit diagrams makes it very easy to clone designs, look at the amount of Nelson Pass designed amps that get made and sold for profit.

Availability of components, big issue for vintage stuff as through hole components are a niche product now, comparatively very few new components being made and lots going obsolete as there is a very limited market for them.

We don’t train electronic engineers any more. This country has pushed that engineering is a dirty manual job and the bright kids would be better going into finance and management. Those that do come out of education, the fundamental analogue electronics is seen as not that important. Your new amp designers are probably going to be hobbyist engineers I expect.

Industry now is built on the sale of the next best thing, electronics are now designed to have a working life of a few years before you buy a new better one. See phones and laptops etc. There isn’t the profitability in releasing an amp with a 20-30year lifespan, as you want your customer buying a new upgrade in 5years time. Streamers and anything computerised are easier here as software support can be used to cripple older hardware. This is where generic component builds like the Quadify project up there and open source software like LMS (Lyrion) can evolve with time to stay relevant.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom