advertisement

New QUAD 33 / 303 to be released...

Not the case at all. SMD are much more difficult to repair. The damage to PCBs is mostly down to the quality of the circuit boards and their design. Poorly designed and made circuit boards are very easily damaged. Good well designed and well made circuit boards are significantly more robust and much less likely to be damaged during a repair. Most SMD boards are just thrown away and not repaired as it costs too much to repair them than it does to replace the board.

The thing to note these days is the availability of component parts. As more products go towards SMD, conventional through hole components become harder to find. The whole way our lives have been manipulated and forced to use computers and computer tech means that items that used to have a 10, 20, 30 year life span, now only lasts a few years, so a new replacement item is required. How can this be environmentally friendly? How long can we do this before we strip our planet of its raw materials?
The boards are a minuscule part of the cost, both monetary and environmental, of the items in question. The cases and PSUs, less so. You can buy the assembled PCBs for a Chinese Quad 405 for £30-40 or so. Shipped to you. That won't pay an hour of a tech's time. It would make sense, both fiscal and environmental, to make replacement boards available for drop-in replacements in the same way that car parts come as bolt-on assemblies. The manufacturing savings will pay for the provision of a spare board or two. Christ, you could give them away for free. An amplifier's capacitors last 20-25 years. Buy a spare board with your new amp, and you are done for 40-50 years with one half hour repair. That's good enough. A vanishingly small proportion of consumers keep anything even 10 years, so 50? We're done.

It may grow on me a little in time. I’ll need to see one properly.

I have many questions. The power-amp design being one. I’m expecting it to be a Quad current-dumper and I’d be surprised if it was anything else unless they are playing a real curve-ball and going for class A! There’s a lot of cooling potential in that case. Curious about the ‘XLR’ input on the pre too. I assume like so much modern kit it lacks a tape input/monitor. At least it has a phono stage. They really should have stuck the input labels on the buttons, especially as they are illuminated, it would have made the selected input clear even in a dark room. Pleased to see a balance control.

If nothing else it is a clear win for orange hi-fi.
Yes I’m tempering any excitement until I have a better idea of what’ll be under the hood. I was very pleased with the Quad Artera Pre and Power which I owned for just over a year (a mint Nap160 de-throned those) which was a tweaked version of the Quad current dumping circuit. It still sounded almost identical to my 606 which was a relief, just more extended at the frequency extremes. If the 333 maintains some proper Quad circuit dna I’ll be very tempted indeed I must say.

Imagine it’ll look better still in the flesh. Agreed on the labels, and not too keen on the orange buttons being illuminated, but again might look better in the flesh. Surprisingly I do love that lcd display though, and love the classic font usage.

Imagine it’ll look better still in the flesh. Agreed on the labels, and not too keen on the orange buttons being illuminated, but again might look better in the flesh. Surprisingly I do love that lcd display though, and love the classic font usage.

One thing I’m curious about is size. My suspicion is the new 33 is bigger, the 333 smaller. One of the things I really like about the original combo is just how compact it is, though it does make for a very cramped rear-panel on the 33 and I detest DIN plugs!

@GT Just seen that new Garrard 301 Advanced you mentioned. Insane pricing. Is it a newly manufactured motor and chassis or just refurbed? Either way, I just can’t understand it other than being intended for markets where ‘reassuringly expensive’ is part of the selling point. Seems genuinely mad.

@GT Just seen that new Garrard 301 Advanced you mentioned. Insane pricing. Is it a newly manufactured motor and chassis or just refurbed? Either way, I just can’t understand it other than being intended for markets where ‘reassuringly expensive’ is part of the selling point. Seems genuinely mad.
This sickens me. Classic hifi turned into oligarch-fi pricing. Unchecked greed, which the usual apologists will make excuses for no doubt.

One thing I’m curious about is size. My suspicion is the new 33 is bigger, the 333 smaller. One of the things I really like about the original combo is just how compact it is, though it does make for a very cramped rear-panel on the 33 and I detest DIN plugs!

Indeed. Will follow this one closely as I really am very tempted. DINs are evil, though technically I can see how they’re preferable in terms of earthing. I hope the backlit buttons aren’t that bright in reality, or are defeatable like the lcd backlight.

Just seen that new Garrard 301 Advanced you mentioned. Insane pricing. Is it a newly manufactured motor and chassis or just refurbed? Either way, I just can’t understand it other than being intended for markets where ‘reassuringly expensive’ is part of the selling point. Seems genuinely mad.

My suspicion is it is Loricraft’s old-stock, parts inventory etc slapped in a fancy plinth with a fashionably modern high-end audiophile LOLprice. The pictures of the turntables look way, way too good for them to have been recreated with current materials and manufacturing techniques. CNC is a very useful technology, but it just isn’t capable of the sculpted flowing lines of a good traditional casting, and no way would it be economically viable to re-cast all the parts to make a 301 in 2024. Garrard could only do it in the first place as they were shifting 7000 a year. I doubt they’ll shift 7 a year here at £50k, so Loricraft’s stock will likely last a while! That said if someone really wants to drop £50k on a turntable they could do a heck of a lot worse than a real 301! They are stunning turntables.

@Tony L

I think SME did use Loricraft’s old stock in the past, refinishing some parts themselves but I don’t really know. The ‘new’ Advanced version doesn’t seem to mention anything apart from the new plinth. Seems very strange overall.

They say it's all newly manufactured, but I have my doubts. As Tony says they have all the old Loricraft stock, plus I would suspect they have been hoovering up old 301's off the web. Don't forget this is the company that once found out a UK dealer was selling a good number of SME tonearms and when asked by the SME's sales rep; "what turntable were these tonearms going on?" The reply was "they were mostly going on old Garrard 301s & 401s". Just a couple of weeks later, that dealer, plus all UK SME dealers were told they would not be supplied with SME tonearms unless they were being sold with an SME turntable. So pretty much over night SME lost most of their UK tonearm dealers. Then SME bought the rights to the Garrard name off Loricraft. Go figure...

I'm sure AR-A would be turning in his grave if he could see what his company is making:
SME-Home-Hero-Slider-23050308-2048x880.png

My old 33, now gathering dust for 20 years,, always sounded more pure than the 34 which replaced it. This was due to the cancel button for the tone and filter functions. Simplicity rules. No LCD display is necessary. Surely.. Oh I see that there is an illuminated tone button.

They say it's all newly manufactured, but I have my doubts. As Tony says they have all the old Loricraft stock, plus I would suspect they have been hoovering up old 301's off the web. Don't forget this is the company that once found out a UK dealer was selling a good number of SME tonearms and when asked by the SME's sales rep; "what turntable were these tonearms going on?" The reply was "they were mostly going on old Garrard 301s & 401s". Just a couple of weeks later, that dealer, plus all UK SME dealers were told they would not be supplied with SME tonearms unless they were being sold with an SME turntable. So pretty much over night SME lost most of their UK tonearm dealers. Then SME bought the rights to the Garrard name off Loricraft. Go figure...

I'm sure AR-A would be turning in his grave if he could see what his company is making:
SME-Home-Hero-Slider-23050308-2048x880.png
That is super ugly!

No way I’d put that in my listening room. If it was given to me, I’d sell it and buy my daughter a car perhaps.

One thing that money can't buy and that is style and class...
I liked the older style SME decks with the light yellow matt, just form & function. The latest models look horrible, loads of daft curves in all the wrong places.

The boards are a minuscule part of the cost, both monetary and environmental, of the items in question. The cases and PSUs, less so. You can buy the assembled PCBs for a Chinese Quad 405 for £30-40 or so. Shipped to you. That won't pay an hour of a tech's time. It would make sense, both fiscal and environmental, to make replacement boards available for drop-in replacements in the same way that car parts come as bolt-on assemblies. The manufacturing savings will pay for the provision of a spare board or two. Christ, you could give them away for free. An amplifier's capacitors last 20-25 years. Buy a spare board with your new amp, and you are done for 40-50 years with one half hour repair. That's good enough. A vanishingly small proportion of consumers keep anything even 10 years, so 50? We're done.
There is a lot more to it than that! I've been in the repair and service side of industry for nearly 50 years. Although I don't offer a service and repair side to my business anymore, except for what I make, I have first hand experience on servicing and repairing most HiFi and what you have just described is only for cheap budget equipment and not for the type of equipment we discuss on this forum.

SMD resistors and capacitors, you just pick them off the board with heated tweezers. Literally just pick them up off the PCB, the tweezer tips melt the solder as you pick them off. Larger components use hot air or a focussed IR lamp and again pick them off with tweezers or a vacuum pump picker.

No cutting legs off or trying to pull them through while you have an iron on there. No need to remove solder before the component comes out. You heat the board much less for most components reducing the risk of track or PCB damage.

Yes they are smaller, you may need a magnifier to get them into position accurately, but that is no big issue really.

SMD resistors and capacitors, you just pick them off the board with heated tweezers. Literally just pick them up off the PCB, the tweezer tips melt the solder as you pick them off. Larger components use hot air or a focussed IR lamp and again pick them off with tweezers or a vacuum pump picker.

No cutting legs off or trying to pull them through while you have an iron on there. No need to remove solder before the component comes out. You heat the board much less for most components reducing the risk of track or PCB damage.

Yes they are smaller, you may need a magnifier to get them into position accurately, but that is no big issue really.

advertisement

Back