advertisement

New QUAD 33 / 303 to be released...

U
N
Steve,

I think so, but I was wondering specifically about the new 33/303, which made me rise an eyebrow all Spock-like when I saw the announcement.

I'm slowly transforming into an old British audiophile who wears slippers and smokes a pipe, even though I'm not British, and I don't wear slippers or smoke a pipe.

Joe
Like you Joe, I’m not British at all, but ever since I got my classic 33/303/FM3/ESL system in 2016 I’ve slowly turned into one of those pipe and slippers audiophiles. Really.
Thank you Mr Walker, Mr Albinson, Mr Baxandall et al.

But the eight EL84 output NOS valves are a lot harder to find for sensible money. An octet of Mullards is serious cabbage.

Shoot Manley an email and ask if it is happy with Russian 6p14p-EV, ER etc types. It should be, they are a higher spec EL84 Russian military valve. They are getting harder to find (thanks to the Ukraine war), but are superb IMO. They are what I run in my Leaks and I actually prefer them to a NOS quad of 1965 Mullards. There were mountains of them around at one point, ex USSR military. Superb and very reliable valves. The E* bit at the end relates to quality/lifespan, so variants are good for more than 10,000 hours, which is amazing for a power tube. Google them, start researching.

Tony,

Shoot Manley an email and ask if it is happy with Russian 6p14p-EV, ER etc types. It should be, they are a higher spec EL84 Russian military valve. They are getting harder to find (thanks to the Ukraine war), but are superb IMO. They are what I run in my Leaks and I actually prefer them to a NOS quad of 1965 Mullards. There were mountains of them around at one point, ex USSR military. Superb and very reliable valves. The E* bit at the end relates to quality/lifespan, so variants are good for more than 10,000 hours, which is amazing for a power tube. Google them, start researching.

Manley is bound to point me in the direction of their retube kits, which have become incredibly dear.

Joe

Chartz,

Like you Joe, I’m not British at all, but ever since I got my classic 33/303/FM3/ESL system in 2016 I’ve slowly turned into one of those pipe and slippers audiophiles. Really.
Thank you Mr Walker, Mr Albinson, Mr Baxandall et al.

Me too, except my assumed British identity is Mr. Fartington from Fartsford upon the Avon.

Joe

advertisement

Back