advertisement

New Phone Scam. ( to me..)

Mullardman

Moderately extreme...
I'm pretty much used to people with strong Asian accents, or those 'Chinese American' accents.. calling themselves Richard, or Susan and claiming to represent 'Microsoft Security' or whatever..
But just now it was a very cultured and very 'English' accent , thanking me for booking East Midlands train tickets using my Debit Card and inviting me to 'Press 1 to speak to Visa Security' if I didn't recognise the transaction.
Yeah right... but they are getting more 'authentic' sounding.

I don't take them on either.. Just pointing out they are getting smarter.
My best one was a guy with a very strong Indian type accent 'representing Microsoft' or similar. When I said "You really aren't representing Microsoft.. We both know that.." He replied "Why don't you just DIE!!"
I think he may have just about heard me burst out laughing before he hung up in frustration. :)

I tend not to answer phone calls nowadays if I don't recognise the number.... but if I do and its situation like that I ask them if they are proud and happy with themselves for the work they do.

I used to get calls from posh UK female voices telling me I had been involved in car accident and I could claim enhanced compensation. Who falls for that?

I tend not to answer phone calls nowadays if I don't recognise the number.... but if I do and its situation like that I ask them if they are proud and happy with themselves for the work they do.

I used to get calls from posh UK female voices telling me I had been involved in car accident and I could claim enhanced compensation. Who falls for that?
One in a thousand?

Thats all it needs.

Same with scam emails that couldn’t make it more obvious that they are scams. One in a million clicks the link… whack, you’re now going to be targeted and details made available to others.

One in a thousand?

Thats all it needs.

Same with scam emails that couldn’t make it more obvious that they are scams. One in a million clicks the link… whack, you’re now going to be targeted and details made available to others.
I suspect that in a fair few cases, the scam emails are deliberately flawed, so that anybody who responds is already flagged up as ripe for the picking.

Unless it's someone I know I don't believe any of them. If they know who I am they can send me an old fashioned letter where I can check out company details etc.
Maybe taking it too far?
This is my stance. I don‘t know (or for that matter, care) how many genuine emails or text messages I have ignored and deleted. If someone needs to get hold of me for something important, send a letter.

Put yout home phone in the bin ( if it was a landling call )
I did about 4 years ago , no problems since .
I get three or four calls a week on my mobile. The phone only shows the call for a second, then call ends. Maybe hoping I’ll call back? £££

I had a really genuine looking email from HMRC on Monday it arrived at 2am, I wasn't up then obviously but I read it half sleeping at about half six am, supposedly something wrong with my 'government gateway account' and to check immediately by clicking on a link, checked the email address and went back to sleep after deleting it, then later on that morning the bstards sent another one.

The thing that bothers me with this particular scam is where the eff did they get my email address?

The thing that bothers me with this particular scam is where the eff did they get my email address?
At the very least it’ll be an auto generated guess at email addresses, done by the millions. I’ll receive emails promoting extended car warranties, in US$, probably just as much as Billy Bob Joe in Kentucky receives emails from HMRC.

Sometimes your details have been sold.

I like the ones who call me about 'the minor car accident I had'. I usally say "I am so glad you called. It wasn't a minor car accident, it was a major one and I died. I need some compensation for my family". Then see how long I can keep them talking for, insisting that I am dead. I once had one chap call me an idiot, to which I replied "I'm not the one ringing people up trying to scam them".
Once a young lady called. She had no idea she was involved in scamming people, likely most don't. I felt sorry for her.

Last edited:
When I get the accident scam call, my reply is “well it must have been a really bad one, because I can’t remember a thing about it"

I'm pretty much used to people with strong Asian accents, or those 'Chinese American' accents.. calling themselves Richard, or Susan and claiming to represent 'Microsoft Security' or whatever..
But just now it was a very cultured and very 'English' accent , thanking me for booking East Midlands train tickets using my Debit Card and inviting me to 'Press 1 to speak to Visa Security' if I didn't recognise the transaction.
A few weeks ago I had some automated calls to my mobile allegedly from my bank telling me that I had a possible fraudulent transaction on my credit card and to press whichever number to confirm or not whether I'd made that particular purchase and talk to a support person. After me hanging up mulitple times (as I was far from convinced it was genuine and googling the number had found people stating that it was being used for scam calls) the same call then came through on my landline. Anyway to cut a long story short it turned out that it was my bank, but their automated 'fraud alert' calls itself ticked a lot of boxes for likely scam calls, including (when I finally waited to talk to a person) initially stating that they'd not ask for sensitive info and then later on asking for person specific information to confirm my identity. It was their visibility/knowledge of both my contact numbers and the two other valid transactions that I had made recently that I eventually found convincing enough to proceed, but even then made further independent calls to the numbers on their website to confirm the whole thing was legit and to point out that their suspected fraud report calls came across fairly strongly as a scam!

As an aside I barely ever use my credit card but had used it to make a couple of transactions in the previous fortnight, one of which was to make a table reservation for a foody pub in Bristol and one to a large online ticket retailer. I'm pretty convinced that my card details were leaked from one of those.

I generally press 1 and keep them on the line for a bit. They normally ask for my name etc which I don't ever give. I ask them who they are. Last time they said "bank security" I said which bank and there was a pause and then an uncertain "Barclays". Oh that's interesting, I don't have an account with Barclays. They rudely hung up.

advertisement

Back