advertisement

New Phone Scam. ( to me..)

Talking of phones, I was alarmed at how easily your mobile can be taken over by sim swapping.

Criminal nicks your phone and initiates another phone with it.
Which is then used to get verification codes from your bank.

I don't fully understand all the details but people have lost 10s of thousands.

Source : Bank Scams with Alexis Conran on Channel 5.

oh yes, a slightly longer call, at a cost of a few extra pennies, compared to a scam yield of several thousand pounds
It's a volume thing, I very much doubt they have a success rate of more than 10-20% in terms of the number of calls they make and people they actually make money from, and I'd bet the most they get out of most peoples accounts is £100. The headlines are great at calling attention to people who've lost thouasands but the reality is that situation is a typical of the average person in the UK, most people are living month to month, they don't have significant savings in the first place. All those pennies will add up (especially if they are making international calls).

The qd and qn years in green have gone off my maths comprehension scale.

Presumably multiples of 000's?

I suspect they are referring to quadrillion and quintillion.

quintillion.png

It's a volume thing, I very much doubt they have a success rate of more than 10-20% in terms of the number of calls they make and people they actually make money from, and I'd bet the most they get out of most peoples accounts is £100. The headlines are great at calling attention to people who've lost thouasands but the reality is that situation is a typical of the average person in the UK, most people are living month to month, they don't have significant savings in the first place. All those pennies will add up (especially if they are making international calls).

there is plenty of research to show the average take is in the region of £1500.

using my Debit Card
Apologies if this has been posted, but why debit card? Anybody can easily check their bank account but it's not so easy (or commonplace) to check your credit card account (for me anyway) Strikes me that the scammers have missed a trick here somewhere.

From getting weekly scam/research/nuisance calls on my landline a few years ago I now get almost none. Come to think about it, I rarely get calls from anyone; hmmmmm!

Apologies if this has been posted, but why debit card? Anybody can easily check their bank account but it's not so easy (or commonplace) to check your credit card account (for me anyway) Strikes me that the scammers have missed a trick here somewhere.

From getting weekly scam/research/nuisance calls on my landline a few years ago I now get almost none. Come to think about it, I rarely get calls from anyone; hmmmmm!
All I can say is that with my bank I can view, access and transfer funds between our joint current account, my savings account and my credit card account via a single login. The bank also triggers 2FA if the AI isn't sure about something. I'm impressed.

My landline is with BT who provide a filtering system that is very effective. I can also blacklist numbers such as those pesky sales people. We get just the occasional scammer..........

DV

@Mike Reed. I doubt they know what sort of card I use. But I suspect they'd be right 50% of the time.
@DV I can do all that with my bank too, but I also use a VPN and make sure Bluetooth is off if using my phone..though I'm usually on wi fi at home anyway.
Nobody's having MY £37.48p..:cool:

with my bank I can view, access and transfer funds between our joint current account, my savings account and my credit card account via a single login. The bank also triggers 2FA if the AI isn't sure about something. I'm impressed.
I assume they're all with one bank then; Barclays by any chance Lewis? No idea what 2FA is nor AI influence. My banking accounts, savings accounts and credit card are with different institutions, requiring different log-ins.

Talking of phones, I was alarmed at how easily your mobile can be taken over by sim swapping.

Criminal nicks your phone and initiates another phone with it.
Which is then used to get verification codes from your bank.

I don't fully understand all the details but people have lost 10s of thousands.

Source : Bank Scams with Alexis Conran on Channel 5.
Banks don't use SMS authentication anymore for exactly this reason.
There was also a related fraud using insiders in the telephone networks diverting SMS messages.
Mine all use their own Apps as authenticators

Seems implausible. How would the scammer know who was related to the ‘daughter’ in order to call them? And any one voice would only work for a hundred or so targets, surely?
So called 'Social Media'. People is apparently very open with everything in their lives.

Seems implausible. How would the scammer know who was related to the ‘daughter’ in order to call them? And any one voice would only work for a hundred or so targets, surely?

Google it. I can't find the specific incident, but the first use of generative AI to deep fake both video and voice seems to be back in 2019, when a company employee transferred a large sum of cash at the behest of her 'CEO'. More recently a similar scam in Hong Kong apparently involved 24m bucks. Gen AI has come a long way since 2019.

Banks don't use SMS authentication anymore for exactly this reason.
There was also a related fraud using insiders in the telephone networks diverting SMS messages.
Mine all use their own Apps as authenticators
Funny you say that.

My bank has just forced me to update their app this very day.

A little bit tricky as they required photo id (eg driving licence) a live selfie, banking access code, and still used one-time-passcode as well (to verify phone number)

Belt and braces security.
I hope.

The scams mentioned on Alexis Conran programme originated from gym locker break-ins.

When phones, bank cards and other details are all stolen together, a world of hurt awaits.

I was recently forced to use install an App to verify my identity for Coop legal and rather surprised that my phone could read my passport chip.

I don’t think I’m imagining it, i’ve noticed an increase in these calls whenever I put my number online doing price comparisons or I’ve phoned customer services at companies I use, do scammers somehow scrape your number of logs/registers out there?
I always put fake phone numbers and email address into these sites to get the comparison results I asked for. Some such sites require you to reply to their test email which they send to you. If that's the case I choose another comparison website that doesn't have this requirement.

Already happening, apparently, and terrifyingly convincing - I heard of an example recently which, if I recall correctly, concerned a daughter phoning her mother in trouble of some kind and needing money.

They don't need much of a voice sample apparently, which provides a stronger case still for not engaging these people at all. I don't, I just hang straight up. I have awful difficulty though in pursuading my mother to do the same. They are incredibly clever, and can hook you before you've even realised. They can also build up a profile of potential vulnerabilities by gaining even small snippets of information.
The BBC reported about 5 seconds of your voice sample is all that AI needs to then convincingly mimic it. I promptly had my bank disable voice recognition on my account as a means to allowing access to telephone banking. I felt sorry for the bank, they rolled out this new technology to great pomp only two years earlier. Such a waste.

I assume all phone scams are now intended to harvest my voice pattern, so give them nothing.

Funny you say that.

My bank has just forced me to update their app this very day.

A little bit tricky as they required photo id (eg driving licence) a live selfie, banking access code, and still used one-time-passcode as well (to verify phone number)

Belt and braces security.
I hope.

The scams mentioned on Alexis Conran programme originated from gym locker break-ins.

When phones, bank cards and other details are all stolen together, a world of hurt awaits.
It annoys me that these institutions require the crown jewels of your ID, then have their crappy servers hacked and the whole lot goes up for sale on the dark web. A friend had this happen and now every couple of years a new loan is taken out using his credentials, always more than £20k. Its happened so many times he doesn't even get stressed anymore, waiting weeks before reporting it.

advertisement

Back