advertisement

New Nikon Z fc DX Camera

Hmm
No full frame
No grip
No IBIS
No buyers remorse over my Sony.

Undeniably purdy, though.

Oh - hadn't realised it doesn't have IBIS. That, along with the lack of proper weather sealing is a major omission for my intended use case sadly.

(Although I realise a camera in this price bracket which has both of these features doesn't exist - as far as I am aware)

Lefty

Oh - hadn't realised it doesn't have IBIS. That, along with the lack of proper weather sealing is a major omission for my intended use case sadly.

(Although I realise a camera in this price bracket which has both of these features doesn't exist - as far as I am aware)

Lefty
XT4 claims both?

XT4 claims both?

XT4 would fit the bill but is double the price of the Zfc :(

My main camera (Nikon Z7) does it all, but it would be nice to have a genuinely pocketable companion camera, which has these features and costs under £1k with a lens.

Lefty

Lefty

... except Olympus does, albeit with the very slightly smaller M4/3 sensor :)

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/...on-z50-killer-204mp-65ev-ibis-weather-sealing

"The camera presents top-to-bottom improvements over its 2015 predecessor, the E-M5 Mark II, notably weighing 51g less despite packing so many upgraded features. Most pertinently, however, it also manages to out-spec the recently announced Nikon Z50 APS-C camera, outpunching its larger-sensored rival in almost every category from size and resolution to stabilization and weather sealing."

(emphasis added)

"Olympus did..." you mean? Didn't they quit the consumer camera business?

Nope - ' Olympus does ... ' is still correct :)
The parent company apparently pulled out of product development but I still get regular marketing emails from them promoting cameras and lenses, etc. - source credited as 'Olympus Digital Solutions GMBH', the most recent dated July 8th 2021

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/...on-z50-killer-204mp-65ev-ibis-weather-sealing

"The camera presents top-to-bottom improvements over its 2015 predecessor, the E-M5 Mark II, notably weighing 51g less despite packing so many upgraded features. Most pertinently, however, it also manages to out-spec the recently announced Nikon Z50 APS-C camera, outpunching its larger-sensored rival in almost every category from size and resolution to stabilization and weather sealing."

(emphasis added)

Interesting! I really like Olympus colour rendition as well. Hmmm.....

The Fuji X-S10 seems to have slipped under the radar - a lighter, smaller and cheaper XT-4 with IBIS.

It's an interesting camera but doesn't have weather sealing unfortunately :(

Lefty

(emphasis added)

Reading up on both the Oly & Z50, the E-M5 III does make quite a strong case for itself. The only 'downside' is the sensor size, but speaking from experience, the gap in IQ between Mu43 and APS-C isn't actually very much at all and in some cases (once the amazing IBIS does its stuff) the case becomes even stronger for the Olympus.

Having done a lot of 'mileage' through various systems over the last few years, I'll stick my neck out and say that MFT - as an overall package - gave me the most satisfaction. Build quality - including weather resistance - ergos, features (which are photographically relevant), and lack of size/weight balanced with thoroughly decent IQ is all there. We have a 32"x24" print in our music room at home, taken with the Pen F, which looks great.

If I were to start from a clean sheet, I'd quite likely go back to MFT.

The 28mm has a tiny front element as it does not need to be any bigger, a 28mm/f2.8 lens only needs a ~10mm front element, in theory. Especially as most lenses have a built in correction profile in-camera these days to auto correct vignetting. Smaller front elements help with lens flare, minimising distortions etc.
Similar to the Pentax DA 21mm, 40mm, 70mm lenses for example.
It's interesting that the 28mm f/2.8 lens is actually a full frame lens and so will give a 42.5mm equivalent view on the Z fc
Meet the new Nikkor Z 28mm f/2.8 Special Edition lens launched with the Nikon Z fc | Digital Camera World

The camera looks great..
1200.jpg

The ZFC caught my eye too, even though I understand from reading about it that it's a fairly basic legacy camera dressed up in that retro skin that draws us in. But, I just picked up my OM-D EM1 mark ii and 12-40 2.8 pro lens as I couldn't resist it. Prices have come down new and they are better value used of course but I paid £1100 new. I bought from HDEW and they were honest over the phone telling me they are grey imports hence the lower prices, imagine my surprise then registering it on the Olynpus UK website and expecting messages to come up and instead both camera and lens registered just fine, applied 2-year warranty and also another 6 months extended to both items ie. under warranty to late January 2024.

Now, all I have to do is work through tutorials to understand this highly complex kit, dust off the rip-van-winkle skills and start to post photos of the quality Gromit does with regularity!

advertisement

Back