advertisement

New Nikon Z fc DX Camera

I rather like it. Then again I would as I have a Df and I grew up with an FE, which I still have. I'm about to get a Z7ii, the Z Fc could be a great addition in time using FF Z lenses with the crop sensor. I believe the 28mm lens is FF so 42mm on the Z Fc.

I like it - here's hoping there's an FX version on the way. A Zf to replace the Df.

Only omission on the Zfc is proper weather sealing.

Lefty

I'd rather a Pentax KP and some of the DA Limited lenses if I wanted a retro inspired APS-C ICLC. At least you get a wide range of compact prime lenses to go with it, that all have a retro feel too, and lovely metal build.

I shouldn't let it bother me, I know it exists for technical reasons, but I'm really bugged by huge lenses with tiny front elements.

I shouldn't let it bother me, I know it exists for technical reasons, but I'm really bugged by huge lenses with tiny front elements.

I agree it does look strange. It is actually a backwards design with the largest elements at the back. It has two aspherical elements so should perform well. I am tempted.

Edit- this comment is about the 28mm lens which has a comically small front element.

I quite like this - I'm sitting on the fence as to whether I'd shell out for one, but I think (I hope!) this is a smart move by Nikon.

Keeping it to APS-C gives the small form factor (and with the Z50's guts it'll produce great images) plus DX lenses will help the size too. I can see this appealing to those who would like an upgrade to their phone cameras, but want something more jewel-like than the anonymity of equivalent stuff; Sony A6k, Lumix GX etc...all superb cameras but ye gods they look dull.

I dare say we - as photographers - look upon it with objective eyes, but (without wishing to sound like a photo-snob so please forgive me if it does!) for those who like taking snaps, a retro camera with 'just enough' retro (and a shedload of heritage which carries weight in the market) could end up being a winner.

I'll have a black one please, to go alongside my FE & F3 ;)

I agree it does look strange. It is actually a backwards design with the largest elements at the back. It has two aspherical elements so should perform well. I am tempted.

Edit- this comment is about the 28mm lens which has a comically small front element.

The 28mm has a tiny front element as it does not need to be any bigger, a 28mm/f2.8 lens only needs a ~10mm front element, in theory. Especially as most lenses have a built in correction profile in-camera these days to auto correct vignetting. Smaller front elements help with lens flare, minimising distortions etc.
Similar to the Pentax DA 21mm, 40mm, 70mm lenses for example.

Great looking for sure in the now rather tired 'faux retro' way .... would put in an order today were it not for the change in my lens system (and adapters) from Olympus to Nikon

Would also help if they had taken the trouble to put a bit more actual operational detail on their website rather than endless marketing hype.
Main point of interest for me is the customisability of the button/dials and the operating system.
As it stands, the limited availability of function buttons in comparison to my Oly cameras is a definite deal breaker.
The very slight step up in sensor size is not nearly enough to swing it.

Will wait for some reviews for more detail of usability...

The more I look at this, the more I like it and with the upcoming release of the Z Nikkor 40-f2, this could be a lovely combination.

I also wonder if the 'c' may get removed, and an FX version be on its way some time?

Now that I would be tempted by. The df is old now and a serious cam should slow you down and be more considered. I actually like the Z50 ergonomics, they suit the cameras intended use I think, And if Fuji
went wrong anywhere, it was leaving it rather late to introduce a full frame range of mirrorless cameras. For me anyway, 2/3rds and APSC sensors suit a fair degree of simplicity. FF cameras should be serious tools.
Probably just me.

Now that I would be tempted by. The df is old now and a serious cam should slow you down and be more considered.

I tend to agree with this - it strikes a chord with me as a hobbyist. Full-on professionals where speed is everything would think differently perhaps but I'm happy to take my time.

Now, I love the Z7, the thing is a total beast and being a life-long Nikon fanboy its familiar UI means I can get on with the job with virtually no niggles at all. Seeing the results obtained by photographers whom I have the upmost admiration for (Nigel Danson is one, Lefty of Chez PFM is another) it's a very serious tool. I find it very difficult to approach it as just being a tool though (darn well wish I could!) same with my Clarinets, something has to 'feel' right for me to enjoy the task it is designed for. The Leica had this in spades, but seen objectively as a tool it cannot get near the Z7.

I've owned a few other cameras which, even if distilled slightly, have a similar 'pick me up' feel: Oly Pen F, Fuji X100*, X-Pro1, D700 - the strongest of these is probably the Pen F. I'm wondering if the Zfc might be along those lines?

The Zfc looks even nicer than a Df, which I already view as the nicest-looking DSLR Nikon has made. The Zfc looks a lot like an FM2 / FE2...

2339091731_280d7ce7e6.jpg

... which are absolutely gorgeous and iconic cameras. I'm almost tempted except I don't need another camera and, if anything, if I were to buy a camera with a sensor that's not 24x36 mm I'd go larger, not smaller. (Note to self: you can't afford a Hasselblad 907x 50C, so quit thinking about it!)

It has occurred to me that the Zfc could be used with itty-bitty Voigtlander primes, which would make for a light camera when oot and aboot, but you'd have to use the FTZ adapter so the compact form factor and sleek looks would be sacrificed.

Joe

Gromit,

I agree. What we need is The Dude of camera reviews.

Joe

I tend to agree with this - it strikes a chord with me as a hobbyist. Full-on professionals where speed is everything would think differently perhaps but I'm happy to take my time.

Now, I love the Z7, the thing is a total beast and being a life-long Nikon fanboy its familiar UI means I can get on with the job with virtually no niggles at all. Seeing the results obtained by photographers whom I have the upmost admiration for (Nigel Danson is one, Lefty of Chez PFM is another) it's a very serious tool. I find it very difficult to approach it as just being a tool though (darn well wish I could!) same with my Clarinets, something has to 'feel' right for me to enjoy the task it is designed for. The Leica had this in spades, but seen objectively as a tool it cannot get near the Z7.

I've owned a few other cameras which, even if distilled slightly, have a similar 'pick me up' feel: Oly Pen F, Fuji X100*, X-Pro1, D700 - the strongest of these is probably the Pen F. I'm wondering if the Zfc might be along those lines?

Now we are getting into machines with soul discussions, although we can all probably agree that machines do not have souls, but the in the hand pickup does have a human connection. Out of all the (digital) cameras I've owned I think the original X100 has that 5 star soul factor (more so than the X100F), and I loved the X-T2, much more so that its X-H1 replacement, even though the latter is a more capable camera. The GFX doesn't really have a soul, but its forgiven due to the image quality!

Now that I would be tempted by. The df is old now and a serious cam should slow you down and be more considered. I actually like the Z50 ergonomics, they suit the cameras intended use I think, And if Fuji went wrong anywhere, it was leaving it rather late to introduce a full frame range of mirrorless cameras. For me anyway, 2/3rds and APSC sensors suit a fair degree of simplicity. FF cameras should be serious tools.
Probably just me.

I think that Fujifilm are right not to play in the FF snakepit, they pretty much own the current 'enthusiast' APSC market, and have made masive headway in digital medium format (though it could be argued that the sensor isn't much bigget than FF). The GFX100S has arrived at an enticing pricepoint (less than Sony A1, and probably Canon R3) and the rumoured GFX50S mark2 is likely to be at Sony A7 Riv release price. Yes the lenses are expensive but so is recent FF glass from Sony/Nikon/Canon. Its great that despite a shrinking market (handheld digital cameras) we have such choice.

My first Nikon was a FM2n ^. I loved that camera but was 100 X simpler to use than any of the above. It's crazy daft how over complex menus have become.
But it's very personal I agree. What one loves another hates, but as long as ones heart goes bumpty bump as your habd closes round your machine of choice then all is well with the world i reckon.

And a bit of head scratching is good for the ageing brain :)

advertisement

Back